Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

evil grains
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 09, 2008 06:56PM

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me something to put me off eating cooked grains/starch?

I know it's awful for my health but I can't seem to get over my addiction!

Some shock tactics are needed here....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: evil grains
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 09, 2008 07:11PM

I don't think they are evil (unless you have an intolerance).

They are just not as good as fruits and vegetables.

I think fruits and vegetables ought to be at the bast of the food pyramid. Not grains. Grains are relatively empty compared to them.

But some grains are not that bad, like sprouted quinoa.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:31PM

This is from p 53 of "The False Fat Diet" talking about carb additions, people are ddicted to carbs because carbs "move serotonin into the brain".
[www.amazon.com]#

SEROTONIN DROP = CARB ADDICTION
Serotonin is a veritable elixir of contentment. It helps us feel happy, healthy, and well-fed. As you probably know, drugs that boost serotonin levels, such as Prozac, are tremendously popular, because they help people feel calm and contented. Many diet medications are designed to increase serotonin levels, because serotonin helps shut off hunger.

Obese people often have low levels of serotonin. This serotonin deficit makes them very vulnerable to hunger. When they develop food reactions, though, their serotonin levels plunge even lower, because food reactions destabilize serotonin.

Someone who has normal serotonin levels can eventually develop the same low serotonin levels as an obese person by constantly suffering from food reactions. Serotonin levels are decreased by food reactions because serotonin is mostly carried by white blood cells - the very same cells that the immune system uses to fight the invasion of reactive food molecules. When these cells are busy fighting reactive foods, they are less able to deliver adequate serotonin.

(editor's note: this is perhaps one reason why we get that raw glow, our white blood cells are not fighting cooked foods and instead are carrying serotonin and making us feel great)

One of the most harmful aspects of this serotonin drop is that it creates specific cravings for high-carbohydrate foods, such as sugar and starch. Carbohydrates help move serotonin into the brain, and when the brain is low on serotonin, it creates an overpowering urge to eat high-carbohydrate, sweet, and starchy foods.

Because of this effect, millions of people crave sweet and starchy foods. Of all food cravings, carbohydrate craving is the most common. My weight control patients crave carbohydrates more than any type of food.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 09, 2008 09:24PM

In my experience, this is the 'last great barrier' ha! ha! People's bodies CAN transition from a 'fast carb' system that burns them out....ages them....and wreaks havoc with their bodies......to a 'slow carb' system powered by unprocessed fruit and vegetable nutrition and sugars. This was certainly the case with me....since I completed my transition...about 8 years ago.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 09, 2008 10:22PM

Is this why I like starchy sprouts so much...? =(

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:13AM

I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to sprouts and need to read more about them.

So is it not a good thing to eat bean and grain sprouts? I've only tried the mung bean sprouts, but generally stick to sunflower and alfalfa.

I was simply thinking they're all living foods, but is there a big difference with seed/nut vs grain & bean sprouts?

Just curious about opinions and experiences with this. Thank you.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: June 10, 2008 06:24AM

I sprout oats, rye and spelt all the time and just love them. The rye and spelt make great whole grain side dishes for salads and stuff...bit of olive oil, fresh parsley, dash of himalayan salt (if you wish) and they're good to go.

I like to grind the oats into flour in my vitamix, then add almond or flax "milk" and raisins for a luscious cream of oats breakfast.

You can find fresh sprouting seeds and easy to follow directions at [www.sproutpeople.com]

~lanie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 06:32AM by Lanie.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 10, 2008 11:16AM

Something in your language sounds really self-defeating and harsh/angry towards yourself. I may be wrong in this interpretation, in which case just disregard.

Maybe slow reduction works better for you rather than shock tactics. maybe you could think about what you indeed would like (a positive) rather than a negative. Sometimes when you are trying to fight something thru annihilation, it will flex it's muscle and work against you. But if you look at tendencies, go with the flow, rather than against it (martial arts style), guide and direct the cravings gradually (less and less step by step), it might work better.

I know for some the radical approach works better. I thought I was such a person, but in the long run, the slower, more gradual approach has worked better in some areas.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 10, 2008 11:29AM

Of course I agree with Cocoa_nibs. smiling smiley A person can and should spend at LEAST the same amount of time being 100% clear on what THEIR specific goals are.....and what TRULY and HONESTLY motivates them. THEN the tools/fuels/food to get you to those location will be abundantly clear. But trying to debate which kind of fuels and vehicle prior to that inner foundational setting......will inevitably yield at least partial confusion. Don't you think?

On the practical side: Brainstorm for all-raw meals (or mostly raw meals) to replace the cooked carb meals you are eating. Until you find hearty, satisfying meals that are right for YOU - you will probably continue to struggle. But no one can FIND those alternatives for you. You can try hearty kale or chard salads with walnuts and lemon juice and topped with spouted sunflower seeds! Awesome!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:06PM

your name is the answer

read doug grahm

that's his answer

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2008 04:57AM

Thank you everyone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables