Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oils called "Supplements"
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:28PM

Why do some people refer to flax, hemp, pumpkin, etc. oils, the more nutritious ones, as "supplements"?

I never hear anyone call extra-virgin olive oil a supplement ,and I certainly don't consider any oils supplements.....

Just wondering! smiling smiley

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oils called "Supplements"
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:03PM

I can understand why any of the good sources of omega3 are considered to be supplements--it's because they are in short supply in most standard foods, with few exceptions. And most people have a lousy O6:O3 ratio and do better (well at least in this one metric) if they add a concentrated source of O3 to make up for the "badness" of the rest of their diet.

I use ground flax instead. It still seems contrived to me to do so, because it's not a food I would choose if I didn't know about the optimal O6:O3 ratio for conversion to long-chain O3. And even though it's a whole food (at least before I throw it in the grinder or blender) I still think of it as a supplement.

But I can't understand why pumpkin seed oil would be considered a supplement. It's dominated by omega6 which is the case for most of the processed vegetable oils.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 11, 2008 03:51AM

Zinc maybe?

I have a lovely variety of seasonal vitamin C supplements in my kitchen right now. ^.^

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 11, 2008 05:52PM

I wouldnt in my daily diet eat oil

hence....if I use it..guess it could be considered a supplement

I dont bother with them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables