Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does frozen = raw? Storage question.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 09, 2008 06:51PM

Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent newbie question, this board is great! For now I'm not going to worry about calories and see how it goes. I'm beginning my second week of eating LOTS of fruits with some veggies mixed in. (not totally eating raw at this time though)

For my next question I'm wondering how you store your fruits/veggies? I read the thread about what is on your counter. Do you just keep your raw food on the counter, or do you store it in the refrigerator?

Also, the cherries I found this weekend are amazing and I'd like to stock up while they are in season. If I freeze them are they still considered raw? Or less than optimal raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does frozen = raw? Storage question.
Date: June 09, 2008 07:07PM

how you store your fruits/veggies? I read the thread about what is on your counter. Do you just keep your raw food on the counter, or do you store it in the refrigerator?

It depends on the fruit or vegetable... for the most part, as long as they have properly ripened, I'll keep them in the fridge. They are a few things I don't keep in the fridge at all (tomatoes for instance)

If I freeze them are they still considered raw? Or less than optimal raw?

I use frozen fruit on occasion (never frozen vegetables though because those tend to be blanched). Its not going to be as optimal as fresh local produce but if it helps you with sticking to raw then go for it.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:09PM

Freezing destroys about 5% of a food's nutritional content, and an arguable amount of enzymes.

It's not as good as fresh, but it's a lot better than anything else (excluding fresh).

Here's a question: Is it better to eat frozen or dehydrated? :O

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 09, 2008 10:53PM

Here's an interesting article tittled "Freezing Fruits and Vegetables"

[www.extension.umn.edu]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:14AM

My experience: Yes I store things in the refrigerator. No I don't think frozen is as good as fresh...so I don't do it. But if it helps you reach YOUR goals - you've got my 100% support!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 12, 2008 06:27AM

Hi smoothiegurl

Here's an article I wrote about freezing and raw which you might find of interest:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 12, 2008 06:50PM

cold things just feel strange thesedays

I like room temperature, so thats how my produce stays

If I make a cake or something..sure..I use the freezer..if theres no willing people to eat it up fast enough!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables