Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New! read through the forums and a few questions, thanks
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2008 02:53PM

Hi, I'm Ciara. I'm 20 and have been vegan for four or five years now and tomorrow I'm going raw vegan! Maybe not 100% at first but I'm gonna try. I had lots of questions but read through the forum and got most of my answers but I have a few more if anyone can help me? Sorry if I ask stupid questions or if you get this alot.

1. Is almond milk raw? I heard that it was, I didn't want to give up soya milk but I'd be okay with it if I can have almond milk.

2. Are oats raw? I was sure they are but I saw on another site someone saying they aren't. I mean raw oats, not part-cooked ready mix porridge or anything . . .

3. Can all grains be eaten raw after soaking for 24 hours. I try to eat only gluten free grains (despite the oat question) so any good suggestions?

4. Can you eat all beans raw? I read that you can't eat kidney beans raw, but I'm sure you can have chick-peas raw, any others?

5. Rice cakes? I know this is a long shot and I'm sure they're not raw, or ryvita, but I just thought I'd ask. I can just make my own I guess.

6. Is dried fruit, raisins, sun-dried tomatoes etc, raw? Or does it have to be home-made?

7. And last one, do all nuts have to be soaked for 24 hours before eating to be truly raw or live? Does this apply to seeds also?

Thanks for any replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New! read through the forums and a few questions, thanks
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 15, 2008 04:23PM

What is always raw is to buy fresh fruits and vegetables in the produce section of your grocery store. There are a few exceptions to this, say like heat treated mangoes are less raw than non-heat treated mangoes.

Almond milk bought at the store is not raw, as it probably has been pasteurized or made with pasteurized almonds. You can make it fresh from fresh almonds and that will be raw.

Oats are often steamed, but there are whole oats out there. To be sure, you would have to sprout them and see if they are still alive or not. I don't eat oats myself.

Some grains will work if you sprout them. Rice will not work. I don't eat raw grains. Grains are acid forming, and can weaken your bones and teeth.

Green beans can be eaten raw, but other are more difficult to impossible to eat. I don't eat any beans except for green/string beans occasionally. Some people sprout the dried beans, but again, they are a challenge, and some of them will mold and make you sick.

Rice cakes are cooked.

Some dried fruit is raw, that is it was dried at low temperatures (115 F or less). But most the stuff you get at the store was not dehydrated at low temps. If you dry your own fruit in a dehydator, that will be healthier than the store bought stuff. Sun dried stuff ought to be OK.

I don't soak my nuts. Many raw foodists do. I don't find it necessary to do so myself. Many nuts and seeds sold in the grocery stores will not sprout and are not viable.

Your best bet is to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. All the other foods that are not fresh are going to be lesser nutritional value than the fresh produce (or they will contain anti-nutrients or toxins).

In the beginning, you may need more of the heavier foods like nuts or grains. Its OK if you eat them, or even eat them cooked, as long as it helps you eat more raw foods and you have a plan to eventually transition away from them.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 15, 2008 05:02PM

agreed with the above, will answer myself also

1. Is almond milk raw? I heard that it was, I didn't want to give up soya milk but I'd be okay with it if I can have almond milk.

Store bought no, heated and old.

You can make your own milks with nuts and/or seeds

or instant with a scoop of raw nut butter and water..if your in a hurry

Hemp milk dosent need any straining, brazil is slightly cheaper to make than almond/cashew

2. Are oats raw? I was sure they are but I saw on another site someone saying they aren't. I mean raw oats, not part-cooked ready mix porridge or anything . . .

ALL Heat treated

Unless its explicitally says raw.

I dont eat them myself

3. Can all grains be eaten raw after soaking for 24 hours. I try to eat only gluten free grains (despite the oat question) so any good suggestions?

You can soak and sprout. I dont think grains are optimal

if you fancy making something then try goneraw.com ..have a look there will be instructions as to how long to sprout for.

Also some handy vids on youtube as to preparing buckwheat porridge, various breads etc

4. Can you eat all beans raw? I read that you can't eat kidney beans raw, but I'm sure you can have chick-peas raw, any others?

You can sprout chick pears.. they arent very nice

sure you can sprout a lot of things, as to wether they are easy to digest..another matter!!

5. Rice cakes? I know this is a long shot and I'm sure they're not raw, or ryvita, but I just thought I'd ask. I can just make my own I guess.

Cooked

Make your own crackers if you want a sub

6. Is dried fruit, raisins, sun-dried tomatoes etc, raw? Or does it have to be home-made?

Check with manufacturer or make your own. Completly upto you and your own GOALs

7. And last one, do all nuts have to be soaked for 24 hours before eating to be truly raw or live? Does this apply to seeds also?

24 hours would be EXCESSIVE!! lol

google nut soaking charts

I usually soak them for a short while ie. 4-6 hours if using them.

I did eat them during transition not now.

--

Hope that helps some, stick to the produce aisle..and focus on YOUR personal goals for right now

if thats means a slow transition then go for it..you will have support whatever way you decide!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2008 01:23PM

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm a little scared that if I just eat fruit and veg that I'll lose weight cos I'm already about ten pounds underweight and I eat loads, but I'll try just to eat as much as I can of just fresh fruit and veg anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables