Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Weight loss... But not fat, muscles!
Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 20, 2008 02:59AM

I did loose a bit of weight since im raw...But im noticing that its not the unwanted fat thats going away, its my muscles!!

People tell me its because i dont eat enough protein...And thats why my body is getting it in my muscles...

Is that whats actually going on...???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weight loss... But not fat, muscles!
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 20, 2008 03:31AM

i`m not sure if i can say that with a solid yes or no. with a reduction in calories that is usually the case when switching to raw i often wonder if your body goes into a "starvation" type mode trying to conserve each calorie that come in. since fat is more sedentary than muscle it requires less energy to burn therefor conserving calories/energy. i would think that it would be wiser/more logical to "eat/burn" up the muscle before the fat since it requires more energy to keep it(the muscle) going than the fat. did that make ANY sense?? LOL. i DO know that there are some fine bodies on this forum so rawies MUST be doing something right!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 20, 2008 03:53AM

The main way to lose muscle is to not exercise or get physical activity. Are you less active than when you first started raw?

Also, if you are undereating, the body will consume its fat first before consuming muscle.

It may be that you have lost the fat that is marbled inside your muscles, rather than losing fat that is accumulated in the common areas on the body.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:00AM

When the body stores supplies in the fat cells it does so because it wants to be able to retrieve those supplies if it goes into the starvation mode. The first place the body goes for supplies is the fat cells. This can be easily seen in water only fasting when the body starts eating the fat cells and not the essential cells. The body is smart and will not sacrifice body tissue before it has used up all the fat stores.

Date: June 20, 2008 04:22AM

Well my body must be pretty dumb, cause i swear that im losing weight in a weird way here! lol

I know that i should excercie more...That might be a bit of the problem too...

But i once was anorexic, and i was eating like 800 calories or less per day. And i lost LOTS of weight, but it was the fat!! And i remember that it went pretty fast too..I lost like 25 pounds in a month and a half or so...
Now ive been raw for about 3 months and i only lost like 10 LBS... And I FASTED!

I think i eat too much, and too much FAT too...I have this obsession with coconuts...hmm... But im trying to get over the coconut addiction, Cause i would like to lose a bit more...Things are not going fast

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 20, 2008 09:59AM

If you go to the gym and lift weights and use the resistance training machines as you cut calories you will not lose much muscle as you lose weight.

Re: Weight loss... But not fat, muscles!--is that so?
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 20, 2008 03:33PM

Sorry mira--but--If you have any hope of getting highly accurate answers or ideas specific to yourself, you will find posting your actual diet for a week (by each individual meal & day)and your physical activities for a week (gives idea of calorie consumption) will improve your chances of getting what you want...

Also--a photo...or...Even Better actual measurements of your current height and weight, as well as what they were 3 months ago, before you began "raw" and fasting, would help.

If you just want friendliness & sympathy...everyone is friendly here, except me...

However,I feel that Health is serious and can't be improved with a casual attitude. It is necessary to be very specific, for example:

How long was your fast?
How much coconut? And how often?

....As regards "Body-Image" , you already know that this country is obssessed. Women naturally carry a little more fat than men. Perhaps "obssessed" is not the right word. Many people in this culture are grossly overweight, and many others are "hypnotized" as regards what a health body looks like in the same way that they are "hypnotized" about what a healthy diet is.
....Forinstance men are deluded into thinking "washboard abs" are a sign of health because they know nothing of diaphramatic and abdominal breathing, and the advertisers like to sell all kinds of gimikcy machines. A flexible abdomen, such as children have actually allows a more natural breath which harmonizes body and mind. Hollywood, magazines, and Television subtly influence all of us.
....Yoga is an excellent exercise system for getting more intouch with our actuall needs, and calming the mind.

Date: June 20, 2008 04:54PM

I agree with the above post....right now there's many, many possible explanations as to what's going on...get specific if you want a good guess at best or with your past history you may be better served by go seeing a qualified pro in your local area.

F1

Date: June 20, 2008 08:47PM

ok now im going to work but i will post my daily intakes later tonight, thanks!

Date: June 21, 2008 04:15AM

ok, so i recently stopped eating my daily 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, so this is what my diet looked like a week ago...I'm pretty shy to tell how much coconut i was eating...Oh well...

12h00 (first meal of the day)
2 or 3 zuchinnis, a large tomato, a mango, about a cup of sprouted beans

5h00 (this is where it gets intense...)
1 young coconut
1/2 mature coconut
1/4 to 1/2 cup flaxseed meal, with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
1/2 cup dehydrated coconut (mixed with the flaxseeds)
1/4 dried raisins

8h30 (diner)
1 cup of alfalfa
1 whole romain lettuce
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup broccoli

The fruits and vegetables used for my lunch or my dinner could change, but that was a real typical day....

Now i dont take the coconut oil anymore, and i avoid eating the dried coconut flakes, and i kinda stopped the flaxseeds too...
So now, the main thing that changed is my 5h00 meal, wich is now composed of fresh fruit, and a bit of mature coconut (like 1/4 of a nut)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables