Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food & kids
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 07:00PM

Every summer when I was child my parents filled our backyard with large vegetable gardens - my brother, sister, neighbor kids - we'd all hang out and play in the yard, and in the process graze amongst the plants. I remember running through aisles of flowering pea plants taller than we were, and just absentmindedly nibbling off the plants in the course of play. There were cucumbers, beans, melons, tomatoes - just tons of vegetables. Those are some of the best memories of my childhood. The idea of kids not liking vegetables is ludicrous, but vegetables are certainly a lot more delicious when they're a part of playtime! If I faced a plateful of cooked bland mush vegetables, I'd probably hate them too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food & kids
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 01, 2006 07:05PM

Yup. A lot of kids are going to be scarred for life by cooked lifeless crap! LOL.

-David Mason

Posted by: judes ()
Date: July 02, 2006 01:08AM

that sounds like so mutch fun.
I used to do the same thing.
but i would hunt for berries.
where i live you can find wild
berries all over the place.
blackberries rasberries huckleberries
salmonberries marionberries and even
grapes and cherries if you know where
to find them. I think you don't even
need to be a kid to have fun in a
field full of fruits and berries.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 02, 2006 03:52AM

I love this thread. I remember the joy of picking blueberries and visiting the orchards to buy delicious fresh apples as a kid.

-Ally

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 04, 2006 02:55AM

I loved plucking mangoes, jackfruit, gooseberries, guavas and loved eating " weeds"
Feel a hand guiding me all the way to now when I`ve rediscovered my love for fresh and wild plant foods!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 04, 2006 05:50AM

I used to pick up blueberries and raspberries in a local forest, with my friends, as a kid. Also, we used to enjoy eating raw cabbage together, acting like rabbits. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 04, 2006 10:30PM

Rawgosia, I loved that about eating cabbage and acting like rabbits. I can see it somehow. I want to play!

Vegangoddess, where did you grow up that you ate mangos and jackfruits? I understand there are different kinds of jackfruits. What was yours like? We brought back some jackfruit seeds from Australia and now we have jackfruits with a wonderful firm very pale yellow flesh that is just absolutely scrumptious. It has become our favorite fruit.

Ally

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2006 11:05PM

I didn't eat any vegetables I wasn't force to until around eighteen. My memories of vegetables are all of cooked ones. My idea of five servings of vegetables was french fries & a half bottle of ketchup.

Date: July 05, 2006 01:09AM

NNNNNarz,

Sorry to hear that. Good you've been able to turn things around for yourself!

-Ally

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 05, 2006 02:39AM

Thanks Ally, to be sure my kids will have it alot better! smiling smiley

Posted by: reuben ()
Date: July 05, 2006 03:13AM

momma tells me when i was little i wouldn't eat a cucumber if it was sliced on a plate, but a whole one in the garden was a different matter. I've heard of kids growing up with a garden and eating direct from it, get to really love it, and then despising commercial food.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 05, 2006 01:31PM

I know my grandparents always had a garden for us kids to help tend with them. We have some pretty special memories thanks to that. I especially remember my grandma telling us to go out and yell at the basil to make it grow better. Needless to say, we got all of our loudness out of our systems yelling at the basil.LOLOL! !

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: July 05, 2006 04:06PM

I remember pulling radishes straight out of the garden, rinsing them with a garden hose, and eating them right there in the garden.

About childhood diet- I think my father developing diabetes helped me be healthier and liking vegetables. After he was diagnosised, my mother sudden started serving more vegetables and fruits, so I got accostomed to eating them.
Chickory

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 08, 2006 09:17PM

Ally....India......I`ve only had one kind of jackfruit, big ones with yellow skin...Arent jackfruits incredible?! Asian Mangoes too!

Date: July 08, 2006 11:24PM

Thanks for your reply Vegangoddess. I agree. Jackfruits are incredible! I don't know if I've ever eaten an Asian Mango. I've had the Hayden Mangos though. They originated from the Indian Mulgoba Mango. They're very good(!) - very plump and sweet, and not at all stringy.

How wonderful that you grew up in India!

-Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2006 11:28PM by Ally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables