Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to conserve veggies and fruits
Posted by: cy ()
Date: June 28, 2008 11:36PM

We have been receving veggies and fruits from the local farms,and it will be until October.Just amazing organic and fresh products.Well,I would like to ask a question about conservation.I'll be out for a month and I'm the only one that is 100% raw.My husband is about 70%. Anybody knows how he could conserve the veggies and fruits for a month? I believe fruit you can freeze,but what about veggies?Do you know anything about it that could help us?Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to conserve veggies and fruits
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 29, 2008 06:21PM

Some refrigerators are really good at keeping produce for a long time.
I can get about 3 good weeks from a head of romaine lettuce in mine.I usually chop the leaves in half,rinse and spin,then put into plastic bags in the veggie drawer with the vent on the door closed.(high crisper position)
The only way to preserve veggies for months as far as I know is to blanch them, then freeze.
But that kills the enzymes.
Fruits you can freeze,but I would suggest chopping all fruit into bite sized pieces before freezing.I have found this makes thawing easier.
Brian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 06:24PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 29, 2008 06:36PM

What sort of veggies??

you can make green smoothie popcicles.. freeze greens up for smoothies

depends on the volume your talking about..Crates full of produce? or a few bags?

Date: June 29, 2008 07:23PM

Thanks a lot Brian,I'll tell him,and also I'm going to start doing what you said right now.I also roll them with a paper tower to take off the moist,and I found out that that helps a lot.What do you think?

Rawdanceruk,I receive romain lettuces,swiss chard white and red stem,onions,parsley,many kinds of lettuce together in a plastic bag,kale and 2 other veggies that I do not recall right now.
Yes,it's a good idea to freeze them for smoothies. Thanks for the idea.
They send a middium size box every week.That's so great!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 29, 2008 07:54PM

yeah make green(just greens and water/lemon juice) ice cubes and then store them in big bags in the freezer smiling smiley

Date: June 30, 2008 12:51AM

Great idea!! Thanks.

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: June 30, 2008 08:41PM

I've been using "Green Bags" and wow do they work. They've kept strawberries fresh for a month. They only lasted that long because I'd forgotten about em!

Date: June 30, 2008 11:22PM

Wow!!! I meant to ask about that bag!!! Do you think it is safe? Thanks a lot for telling me that Rawtastic. I am extremly interested about those bags.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables