Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Which fruits/veggies give you EXTRA enegy?
Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: July 01, 2008 06:23PM

Are there any certain fruits or veggies that you can eat for that "extra" energy boost for your body?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which fruits/veggies give you EXTRA enegy?
Date: July 01, 2008 06:44PM

I don't believe food gives you energy, I believe that food takes energy.....if you want energy then rest, energy comes from within.

Just my 2 cents

F1

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:56AM

I agree with Richard - digestion takes up your energy. Many people confuse stimulation with energy though, and they often take superfoods for an "energy" jolt, mistakenly believing the stimulation to be the energy.

I'm at my most energized when I sleep a lot and eat enough (not too little, not too much).

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 02, 2008 01:51AM

I agree with F1 & Sparkler. Eat as lightly as you can...and get regular rest, fresh air and sunlight....and you should have all the energy you need.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:01PM

Fatty fruits, nuts and seeds are the whole foods containing and providing the most energy per unit weight of food.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 02, 2008 03:11PM

If I recall correctly
...According to the yogis prana comes from air as well as food.
and according to Taoists we are born with a certain amount of chi.
...Never-the-less both Taoists and yogis eat.
...According to western science (loosely speaking) food is the fuel the human machine runs on, oxygen is necessary to burn the fuel, and water bathes the entire internal sea and transports fuel to the cells and waste out. Sunshine helps with manufacture of Vitamin D.
...Without food we starve, so yes we do get energy from food.
...However IMO there are no permanent knowable magic foods, because the human body is a dynamic system whose needs are changing moment to moment. It would seem that it is only our insecure egoic mind that searches for answers to this question. And we already know the answer--if we are willing to "rob Peter to pay Paul" drugs will provide plenty of short term stimulation, this can be useful in emergencies.
...Because the human body is a dynamic system whose NEEDS are changing moment to moment, the body itself will "tell" us what we need, at that moment in time. (once we are somewhat detoxified and have formed basic good habits). If we go in the kitchen thinking we want a banana, open the refrigerator and start chomping lettuce, then that IS the Magic Energy Food for us at that moment.
...If there is nothing we need (vitamin, minerals, fats, proteins, etc.) at a certain moment (like between meals) then Nothing is best.
...Fresh squeezed juices maybe considered by some to be an "energy food" because the energy used by the digestive process is greatly reduced. Only self experimentation will show you if this is an experience you like IMO.
...The longer I am on this path the more I trust my body. If I were to try something like spirulena or bee pollen etc., I would make the smallest possible investment, and see how my body reacts,and forget all the hype. And there is a lot of hype "out there".

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 02, 2008 07:11PM

as a raw newbie, glad i found this thread

Re: another viewpoint
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 03, 2008 04:10AM

13) My doctor says that if I eat a well balanced diet, I don't need supplements. And that all supplements will do is give me "expensive urine."

Your doctor is not in possession of the facts. According to an April 25, 2002 National Cancer Institute press release, "70 percent of all adults and children in the U.S. do not eat the recommended five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day for good health." This, in spite of decades of well-funded, intense mass education efforts by the U.S. government and health related not-for-profit organizations to get people to eat more fruits and veggies.

Dr. William Foege, former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has been quoted as saying, "300,000 Americans die annually from poor nutrition choices." [DeRose, D. J., The WellnessWise Electronic Journal, Vol 1, No. 8; September 3, 1995. [www.lifetalk.net]]. So, according to Dr. Foege, you can die from not having "expensive urine."

But even if you did eat 5 to 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day, it would be no guarantee that you are getting all the nutrients you require. Let's take vitamin E as an example. Although the U.S. Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for vitamin E is 30 IU, there is general consensus among nutrition experts that at least 100 IU of vitamin E (and probably 400 IU or more) per day is required to prevent most heart disease. It is literally impossible to obtain 100 IU of vitamin E per day, even from the most perfect diet.

To demonstrate this, Dr. Andrew Saul, challenged his nutrition students to create a few days of "balanced" meals, using the food composition tables in nutrition textbooks, to achieve 100 IU of vitamin E per day. They could use any combination of foods and any plausible number of portions of each food. After much trying, they could NOT do it! And this is for just one nutrient! [Andrew Saul, PhD., Antioxidants: What They Are And What They Do, Harvard Health Letter. Feb 1999; 24(5)]

It would seem the reason for this is a decline in the nutritional value of the food we eat over the past 50 years. A recent analysis of a range of staple foods in Canada including potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, apples, onion, broccoli, etc., was commissioned by The Globe and Mail and CTV news. The analysis found that:

"Over the past 50 years, the potato has lost 100% of its Vitamin A, 57% of its Vitamin C, 56% of its iron, 28% of its calcium, 50% of its riboflavin, and 18% of its thiamin. All seven of broccoli's nutrients declined, notably calcium, which fell 63 per cent, and iron, which dropped 34 per cent."

The story is similar for the 25 fruits and vegetables that were analyzed. Phil Warman, professor of agricultural sciences at Nova Scotia Agricultural College, blames the profit motive, "The emphasis is on appearance, storability and transportability, and there has been much less emphasis on the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables. Crops are bred to produce higher yields, to be resistant to disease and to produce more visually attractive fruits and vegetables, but little or no emphasis is placed on their vitamin or mineral content."

Tim Lang, a professor at the Centre for Food Policy in London, England, agrees, "You would have to eat eight oranges today to get the same amount of vitamin A your grandparents got from a single orange."

Cathy Bakker, a graduate student in vegetable physiology at the University of Guelph, has done research showing that the more fertilizer used, the lower the vitamin C content of broccoli.

To conduct the analysis, The Globe and Mail and CTV examined food tables that were prepared by government researchers in 1951, 1972 and 1999, and compared the nutrients available from 100 grams of the given food. The results were almost identical to similar research conducted in the United States and Britain. The U.K. research was published in the British Food Journal, a peer-reviewed, scientific publication, while the U.S. data have been published only in alternative-health journals. [Andre Picard, The Globe and Mail, July 6, 2002, with a report from Avis Favaro, CTV News.]

This report gives new meaning to the words "empty calories." This is the reason why the same person can be both obese and malnourished. There are two solutions to this dilemma:

1) produce all your own fresh food using heirloom fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains, and legumes organically grown in nutrient rich soil under ideal conditions in your own greenhouse all year long, or

2) take nutritional supplements.

Frankly, the first solution appeals to me very much, but until I have the money to make it happen, I'll be making my urine expensive by taking supplements.

And if all this isn't enough to convince your doctor of the value of supplements, have him read his own medical journal. The Journal of the American Medical Association recommends that everyone take a daily multivitamin. In a two-part article entitled Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults, R. H. Fletcher and K. M. Fairfield said that, "(S)uboptimal intake of some vitamins, above levels causing classic vitamin deficiency, is a risk factor for chronic diseases and common in the general population, especially the elderly." [2002; 287:3127-3129 & 2002; 287:3116-3126].

So, according to the American Medical Association, one of the risk factors for chronic disease is not having "expensive urine."

"The continued use of supplements represents a true public health breakthrough on a par with clean drinking water and sanitary sewers, and can be expected to save as many lives."

Dr. Andrew Saul
www.doctoryourself.com

Weird Fact: USDA Food Stamps can be used to buy doughnuts, but can not be used to buy vitamins.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 03, 2008 05:25AM

Lesson your digestive load

you will feel REAL energy

fatty heavy junk food will zap your energy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables