Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how long can a green smoothie keep?
Posted by: leafeater ()
Date: July 03, 2008 02:51AM

I'm going camping for a week and will not have access to electricity. Green smoothies have changed my life sooo dramatically I am scared to give them up, even for just a week! I was thinking of whipping up a whole a batch, store them in mason jars and limit myself to 1/day. Any advice? Thanks.

Jenn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how long can a green smoothie keep?
Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: July 03, 2008 05:23AM

My home rule is to not consume green smoothies if kept in the refrigerator more than 24 hours. Beyond that you might be dealing with a lot of bacteria growth.

Keeping jars of green smoothie in a cooler is not as efficient as keeping them in a refrigerator.

Out on a camping trip is not a convenient place to develop food poisoning.

Date: July 03, 2008 07:55PM

yeah, I guess you're right sad smiley So, maybe I'll have to actually "eat" my greens...I've heard of worse things to do...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 03, 2008 08:04PM

You could forage them! =D

A new wave of dandelion greens popped up in the forest behind my apartment, and they all look so fresh, crisp, and salad-perfect. OH, SWEET TEMPTATION!

24 hours seems to be the magic number for keeping prepared raw food.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: July 04, 2008 02:03AM

I would think that your body will have built up a wonderful reserve of greens, and their vitamins and minerals after you have been drinking them for a long time. I think the health is now within you and that your body would be able to adjust to less greens over the course of a week. Greens may make you feel even more wonderful when you go back on them a week later!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: July 04, 2008 04:00AM

thanks for the responses! Phantom, there are not to many dandelions where we are going and I am definitely not adept when it comes to wild edibles (I will be attending a wild edible excursion held by rawbc in Surrey, BC...yay!!!). Sunflower, thanks for the encouragement and I'm thinking there is some truth to what you're saying...thanks again!

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 04, 2008 07:01PM

I've recently taken up dehydrating greens and other vegetables and then grinding them into a powder and putting in soups made of flax seeds or psyllium seeds.

Also, kwan had a thread about how she makes green chips with greens. I tried them and they're great, you have to dehydrate them until they crumble, or when you eat them they will be chewy!

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables