Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Time in between meals, ingestion time, overeating....HELP!
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:33AM

Ok... I will be talking of a few things, but they are all realated....

First of all, since the beginning of my raw journey, i've always tried to eat all my meals between noon and 8 or 9 pm...
I really tried to stick to the idea of spacing my meals for at least 4-5 hours. Why? BEcause i've read that its good to let the body rest between meals, that its like little fasts...

But now, school is over, so its harder to space my meals, cause im always hungry, and i cant stop thinking about my next meal...!

So here's my question, is it really better to keep on spacing the meals, or to have lighter meals, and eat snack every 2-3 hours??

I always feel a little bit bad after i eat, cause im so hungry that i overeat, and then i feel so bad...Especially in the evening, I really tend to have light meals all day, and then i CRAVE for EVERYTHING in the evening,I just can't stop myself from eating, then i get so bloated and uncomfortable...

I've also read that when you allow your body to rest between meals (no snacking) it is very good for the immune system...But i also read that raw food in general boosts the immune system...

When i was an anorexic, i would eat 2 or 3 times a day only, i was skinny, it was horrible, but i was never sick!!! I never caught the flu while i was anorexic!! So thats why i try so hard not to eat between meals, but obviously, somehting is not right cause i dont feel so good...

Oh, and lets say i have a whole honeydew for lunch, and lets say the whole thing contains 500 calories... Would it be that different for the body if i ate a half (250 calories)for lunch, and then the other half 2-3 hours later? (250 calories)

I hope this makes sense!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time in between meals, ingestion time, overeating....HELP!
Date: July 07, 2008 04:36AM

To make a long story short, the main purpose of my spacing between meals, is because i don't want to catch flu cause i know that it worked once. But since im raw now, it it enough to keep my immune system in perfect shape?

Date: July 07, 2008 04:51AM

And, is it better to have breakfast at morning, or to eat the first meal very late?

Im in vacation now, well i work but i dont go to school, so i wake up pretty late and sometimes i only start eating at 3pm...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2008 05:26AM

Mira,

If you are hungry, then eat. Don't worry about rules or what's best. If you feel deprived, or you don't get enough calories, then you will not fare well on the raw diet. If you need to, eat another meal in the morning. Part of the secret of eating only a few meals is that your stomach has to stretch to accommodate the larger bulk of raw foods as compared to cooked foods.

There is no rule about when to eat except eat when you are hungry. Your meals of a honeydew is not over eating, in fact, most Americans are probably eating 700 calories 3 times of day at least, and many are eating more. A roast beef sandwich, a small bag of potato chips, and a 16 ounce coke is nearly 800 calories (this is the kind of lunch I might eat before going raw).

The more you deprive yourself, the more power you give to your desires. I have never gotten denial to work for myself. Feed yourself, and when you are properly full, your desire for food will disappear.

Date: July 07, 2008 05:35AM

thanks for your post Bryan... I usually eat about 2000 cals a day (according to nutridiary), so im eating enough, i think i would just feel better if i'd eat more little, more often... I just want my immune system to be strong, honestly, i was my only concern...Besides that, i see no benefits.

I could do it when eating a normal diet, but with raw foods, its very difficult, i have to eat too much cause i get too hungry, then i look like a watermelon on toothpicks cause my belly is about to blow up!!!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:22PM

I would first focus on eating the % of raw that is your goal, and staying full. Once you have mastered these two things, then you might want to consider working at how you space your meals (a melon exits the stomach in 15 minutes--most people have to wait 4-5 hours because cooked food takes at LEAST that long to exit), or between what timeframe you eat (12-8 and scaling back, or whatever).

My first few months, I had to eat constantly. Then I started working at eating between 10-10. Now I can work at eating between 11-8. It takes time for the body to adjust, you have to work at it constantly--think about all the years of habits you're smashing through--and don't get discouraged if you "screw up." I ate a box of alfalfa sprouts last night around 10 pm... I was truly hungry. =D

Good luck! Have patience. =)

Date: July 07, 2008 05:33PM

Well i'm almost 100% raw now (not 100% because i still eat tamari, salt, tabasco, nutritionnal yeast...)

Spacing my meals was alot easier at first, but now, school is over, and i really tend to overeat all the time...

oh, i just tought of something too. I've recently stopped eating coconut like a crazy monkey (i was consuming the oil, the flesh , the flakes EVERYDAY)

and i know that the oil helps to reduce cravings and hunger all day long...But it was too much, its when i looked at my daily calorie intake on nutridiary, and found out that 80% of my calories where from FAT!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2008 05:59PM

mira,

I've been there with the high fat percentage. I used to make a salad that had a 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 avocados, olives, and I would sprinkle seeds on top. I would eat one of these for lunch, and another for dinner.

I certainly felt better when I dropped my fat intake down to 20% of my caloric intake.

When I first went raw, I needed to eat all the time (6 meals a day or so). This happened until my stomach stretched out enough so that I could eat a 700 calorie meal of fruit in just one sitting. Right now, your stomach may not be able to do this, because when we eat cooked foods, our stomachs are very tiny because cooked foods are so concentrated.

Date: July 07, 2008 07:40PM

The salad you used to eat sounds reallllyyy good...!

I know that my tummy has to stretch a bit cause i do eat more than when i ate cooked. But, even when eating cooked, i still had a HUGE appetite, and i had a few bad habits, like ALWAYS finishing my plate, even when full, eating to the point where it becomes overeating... Seriously, as a teen, i was eating more than my dad....I'm a girl, but i have a boy appetite!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables