Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bragg's liquid soy sauce
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 11, 2008 05:07PM

The only ingredients are soybeans and water, but the sodium content is still high... Will my body treat this as salt? O.o

Yes, I know, not using it is better, but after 0 salt for about three weeks I had a bit of a bender. This stuff certainly FEELS better than salt, anyway (although Nama Shoyu tastes better... aw.)

Thanks.

The good news is, I MAKE A KILLER RAW (vegan) SUSHI!!!! WOO!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bragg's liquid soy sauce
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 11, 2008 06:23PM

I stay away from that stuff because of the sodium content. My body treats it as salt. I don't use namu shoya in recipes anymore either. Can't handle it.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 11, 2008 07:15PM

I use to consume some Braggs, but soy seems to be one of my many "symptom trigger foods", so I avoid it in all forms.

I'm not sure what you mean by "will my body treat it as salt?" but since sodium is one of the two components of salt, I guess the answer is yes. Sodium, and chloride are two of the minerals necessary for our body to maintain an electrolytic balance. Most people can get enough of these from eating raw fruits and veggies. However, some people, like me, seem to need more to maintain that balance, so I add a small amount of salt to my diet. I don't think that some added salt is harmful, what is harmful is the extreme overdose that most western diets offer.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 11, 2008 07:37PM

If YOU think it is better than salt, and it helps you toward YOUR dietary goals, then you should go for it. If not, avoid it. But it is the LONG term choices and goals you set that will determine whether you will be able to truly detect what is good for you and what is not.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 12, 2008 05:47AM

It's definitely not AS addictive as regular soy sauce (or Nama Shoyu), IMO. I couldn't really send the nori rolls for a swim with the Braggs. tongue sticking out smiley I found myself also using a lot less than normal soy, too.

I can't say I felt AWESOME after--I'm a little bloated--but that could also be from these past few days. I wasn't wildly dehydrated, though.

When my only dietary goal is, "STAY RAW," and that comes to a survival extreme... yes, the Braggs DOES help.

The whole thing started because I was training at my new job (bartender) the other night... decided a taste of alcohol would be an okay thing. We had two types of red wine I've never heard of, was offered a sample, and didn't think much of it. But, just a little bit of alcohol in my system triggered TONS of cravings and old thought patterns... I didn't want to bring a ton of food to work my first night, so I had nothing to eat for about ten hours (KNEW that was a bad idea!), ended up getting some awful tasting soup at a 24 hour pho place around TWO IN THE MORNING... I had also been COMPLETELY salt free for about 3 weeks straight, no slip-ups, no sea salt in any raw gourmet or anything...

And today was my first completely raw day since that episode. It included a bit of Braggs. Tomorrow I'll shoot for 100%/no Braggs. Three full days of recovery. X.X

I also haven't eaten much of olives or celery lately. Maybe I need to get more of that in my system--I never thought about adding salt to anything if I could savor a few kalamatas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables