Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why the HECK would Raw Food "Purists" do this?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: June 29, 2008 11:06PM

There is something I really don't get about the raw food movement. It seems that the whole point is optimum health and to stay away from toxins. Toxins from cooked food, canned food, conventional pesticide food etc. etc.

So, why is it standard for the raw food movement to use evil DUPONT TEFLON sheets to dehydrate their food on? It wouldn't bother me so much as just puzzle me if it didn't effect the available quality of pre-made raw food. I'm totally paranoid now about raw food from raw restaurants and raw packaged food in the grocery store that was dehydrated. Just like I used to be paranoid about cooked food in restaurants being microwaved. I guess I have to make everything from scratch and home now but I just don't have time and I don't get this exception raw foodists make.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why the HECK would Raw Food "Purists" do this?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 29, 2008 11:14PM

I understand what you mean. I got 2 free sheets when I ordered my dehydrator, but have never used them. I use waxed paper instead.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 29, 2008 11:40PM

You are letting your brain get the better of you. Dehydrating foods is NOT standard! Heh..heh. But thank you for your concerns...I've heard them.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 30, 2008 01:33AM

If your de-hydrating your food your not a "purist" anyway!!!!

F1

Posted by: nik ()
Date: June 30, 2008 02:04AM

Seems standard to me. Every raw recipe book I have and every raw restaurant I've been to has dehydrated food, and 90% of the raw food items sold in Whole Foods are dehydrated foods. However, I meant when they do dehydrate, it seems the standard is to use those teflex sheets to do it. Like standard cooking for pancakes would be to use non-stick teflon fry pans.

Date: June 30, 2008 03:31AM

None of us are qualified to answer why or why not anyone else does anything. Not all raw foodists use teflex sheets. I sure as heck don't. I don't like dehydrated food anyway. I need to drink so much water afterwards that I feel like a camel.

Raw again since April 29, 2008.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:27AM

Hmm...interesting - I have often been described as a 'purist', but I do dehydrate (a little - flax crackers every couple of weeks).

What I'd like to know, if any UK members are reading, is where in the UK I can buy an alternative to the teflexx sheets, as I've tried! There's something called 'bake-o-lite' that I've been unable to find a source for, and...waxed paper? Where do you get it? (not to mention - what IS the wax...?!)

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 30, 2008 07:24PM

I wondered about the teflex thing myself. I use wax paper sprayed with organic cooking spray, but now I'm wondering about the wax too. I only make crackers about once a month, but when I dry fresh food, I just spray the racks.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: June 30, 2008 07:49PM

I use sheets of nori. No waste and a little extra nutrition.

Sapphire

Date: June 30, 2008 08:39PM

Thats a really interesting idea Sapphire! Thanks for sharing it... I tend to use parchment paper but nori sounds like a great idea.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 01, 2008 12:51AM

This is funny..."purist" ...purist sounds like advocating "Puritanism" lol If we're going to elevate our way of eating to a religion, I suggest we make watermelon the pope, and bananas the bishops! And now "lettuce pray"!

It also reminds me of reading the Harry Potter books. "Purebloods" is what they called themselves. You know...The "fruiteaters" who served "The-vegetable-who-is-not-to-be-named" (hmmm...I hope you guys get that one, or you're gonna think I'm really strange!)

For me, life is much easier if I "Eat and let eat" lol

Seriously, everything that I've ever read about teflon being harmful is when used at high (cooking) temps. I don't dehydrate often, and not at all in the summer. but I really like the idea of nori sheets! I have to try that next winter. Thank you sapphire!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 01:02AM by swimmer.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 01, 2008 01:40AM

nik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems standard to me. Every raw recipe book I have
> and every raw restaurant I've been to has
> dehydrated food, and 90% of the raw food items
> sold in Whole Foods are dehydrated foods.

Wow, they don't have produce at the Whole Foods you go to?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 01, 2008 01:49AM

swimmer Wrote:
And now "lettuce pray"!
>

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING HERE!!
patty

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 01, 2008 03:33AM

I use baking parchment. I just trace and cut it out to fit my dehydrator trays-- works like a charm and I think it's pretty harmless. And it's tough enough that I can even rinse off the paper afterward, if there are crumbs, and re-use.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rawallison ()
Date: July 01, 2008 04:09PM

nik is definitely mistaken, although s/he probably meant to say that of the raw manufactured products sold at Whole Foods, 90% are dehydrated. This is still incorrect, however. Raw chocolate, kombucha teas, raw oils, nuts, seeds, etc. make up the larger proportion of raw manufactured products at Whole Foods. Fresh, whole produce makes up the majority of all the raw products they sell, of course. And that includes the raw products at their salad bar.

<><><><><><>
Eating raw is a challenge for me, but it's the healthiest lifestyle I know.
See you at Raw Odyssey!
[blog.rawodyssey.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 04:11PM by rawallison.

Date: July 01, 2008 08:02PM

Sapphire Wrote:
> I use sheets of nori. No waste and a little extra
> nutrition.

That is brilliant.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 01, 2008 09:19PM

something beautiful Wrote:
> Sapphire Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I use sheets of nori. No waste and a little
> extra
> > nutrition.
>
>
>
> That is brilliant.

i agree...definately going to try it in the winter time

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 01, 2008 10:40PM

hey nik

i u are n't sure , you could always call the company or confront the restaurateurs of the raw establishments and actually ASK them what they use, if they could use alternatives. etc.

since they are in the business of raw, they are probably a thousand percent more conducive to listening to your concerns than a company such as NABISCO lOL smiling smiley

good luck in your adventures smiling smiley

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:55AM

Define "purist". grinning smiley Most true purists won't even use a dehydrator to begin with. I don't feel that I'm a purist, but I got rid of my dehydrator a long time ago.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 02, 2008 08:27PM

Hmm, makes me wonder about Larabars? O.o

I didn't know about the teflon thing, thanks. It will be good to ask when I stomp around the city looking for gourmet. The moral of the story is, you can never 100% trust the preparation of any food, unless you are preparing it yourself.

The nori idea is amazing!!

This thread has me laughing so hard.

As for fruit eating, I've been eating The Pope all week. =D

Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: July 02, 2008 09:15PM

Another thing that annoys me is the rawfoodists that brag about being raw, but then have tattoos all over their body. Their lymphatic systems are completely poisoned with those tatoos.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 03, 2008 03:39AM

Sparkler Wrote:
> Define "purist". grinning smiley Most true purists won't even
> use a dehydrator to begin with. I don't feel that
> I'm a purist, but I got rid of my dehydrator a
> long time ago.

That's what I was thinking. I've never used a dehydrator..just have tried a few dehydrated things and it did nothing for me.

I think a "purist" would be more like someone who does 811 and doesn't eat raw mocked SAD foods.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 03, 2008 03:40AM

superjuicer Wrote:
> Another thing that annoys me is the rawfoodists
> that brag about being raw, but then have tattoos
> all over their body. Their lymphatic systems are
> completely poisoned with those tatoos.

I've never understood the tatoo thing either. Although I'm sure many people have already had them before they went raw.

Date: July 03, 2008 03:48AM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> superjuicer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another thing that annoys me is the rawfoodists
> > that brag about being raw, but then have
> tattoos
> > all over their body. Their lymphatic systems
> are
> > completely poisoned with those tatoos.
>
> I've never understood the tatoo thing either.
> Although I'm sure many people have already had
> them before they went raw.

I hear ya...it's those tattoo'd up Fruitarians you really wanna watch out for.....

F1

Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: July 03, 2008 04:06AM

I didn't mean just you tons of rawfoodists in general =0.

Date: July 03, 2008 04:11AM

Well how many people on this board are covered in tatts????....You don't even know anything about me nor my tatts!....and who said I was a "purists", I've never said I'm a "purist" nor do I "brag" about being raw!!!...show me where I've "bragged" about being raw or said I was a purist!

You should think first/get your facts straight before you judge/generalise....alright... now show me where I've "bragged" about being raw or said I was a purist!

F1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2008 04:20AM by fruitarianfitness.

Posted by: rawallison ()
Date: July 03, 2008 02:22PM

The person who started the post put the word "purist" in quotes. I took that to mean that that was his/her own label for people who think of their raw diet in a way differently from niK. As soon as you put a label on someone you are constraining your ability to think creatively and are in danger of creating divisiveness, and niK used an accusatory and angry tone. Many of us who eat raw are used to these kinds of encounters, and I often find it is isn't worth it to get angry. I just try to educate.

I have no idea what a raw food purist is to niK, If I were to adopt a diet that I considered truly raw, it would look different from other people's raw diets. I would not eat anything manufactured. No bars, no refined oils (including olive oil), nothing with preservatives or other added ingredients. That's just me. I do not identify with the "raw food movement" nor as a "raw foodist" so I do not feel threatened by all the permutations of raw out there. To me, a raw diet is all about gaining/maintaining health in a way that fits each unique self and lifestyle best.

<><><><><><>
Eating raw is a challenge for me, but it's the healthiest lifestyle I know.
See you at Raw Odyssey!
[blog.rawodyssey.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 03, 2008 02:48PM

I think it's a good question. Teflon is nasty stuff. I wasn't aware of it. Then again, I don't have a dehydrator.

And switching out a sheet of Teflon, for, say, NORI (yum yum yum!), is a lot easier to do than slowly wean yourself off a Nama Shoyu addiction--so unless you're addicted to teflon, and eating raw for reasons of health, it does make sense to not use it. =)

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 03, 2008 03:48PM

I define a raw food "purist" as someone who eats 100% FRESH raw foods that have not been oxidized and are unprocessed including any heating or freezing with no added stuff and is simply combined. A "true Purist" I would further add eats nothing but organically grown foods. How do you define "purist" ?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 03, 2008 03:55PM

Posted by: phantom
Date: July 03, 2008 07:48AM

Teflon is nasty stuff.

I remember as a kid looking at my Mom's pots and pans and asking her "what happened to the Teflon coating" ? and she replied "you ate it". Yuck.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables