Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gotta start somewhere, right?
Posted by: new2raw81 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:13AM

Well, I know it doesn't sound like anything at all but I just made it through my first day 100% raw. Again, I know one day is nothing, but it IS a start! I also went to the store tonight and stocked up. I really wasn't sure what to get so I got: yellow bell pepper, celery, romaine, tomatoes, mango, apples, bananas, avocado, grapes, strawberries, watermelon, raspberries, cucumbers, peaches, lemons and plums. I know that I need to add some greens to my list, but that was the "most odd" basket I've ever pushed at the store. I had a huge salad tonight with romaine, tomato, cucumber, celery, lemon juice and a little olive oil. It was yummy! Anyway, I'll leave you alone now, but I was just excited for my start.

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gotta start somewhere, right?
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:24AM

Great! Good luck on your journey, I hope you get lots of support here as you need it. Your list sounds delish!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:27AM

Have fun. Be a power.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:48AM

Mm, your basket does sound yummy.

Romaine and celery are greens, btw! :-) So you got a very well rounded cart load of food!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:51AM

1 day IS a big deal!! way 2 go, you should be proud!
patty

Date: July 23, 2008 03:19AM

Sarah-

I actually meant besides romaine and celery smiling smiley I forgot to add that thought in earlier. I also got sugar snap peas. I am very excited, but realize that I will never be perfect and I didn't develop my bad eating habits overnight so I won't develop good ones over night either.

For breakfast in the morning, based on what I listed out previously, does anyone have any yummy suggestions? I have a blender, not great, but not terrible. As long as I don't overfill and do allow the vortex to remain it does a pretty good job. Any good suggestions??

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 03:50AM

CONGRATS!!!!!

F1

Date: July 23, 2008 03:59AM

breakfast for me is always a smoothie. i change it up but my base is usually a banana and then i add spinach or kale or dandelion greens, (actually i add all 3 greens) pineapple strawberries blueberries mango whatever i feel like....or you can make it simple and do just a blueberry banana or something like that...all depends on what ya want.
patty

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:03AM

juice

i usually skip breakfast

Date: July 23, 2008 01:13PM

I don't have a juicer, so it'll have to be something blended. I guess I just wasn't sure there needs to be any liquid added to my smoothie or not.

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 23, 2008 01:29PM

Congratulations ;-) Keep adding one day at a time and soon you have a raw journey. Make health a habit.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2008 01:37PM

Welcome!
Day # one is the most important day because its the day you decided to change your ways.Your shopping list is a great start.For greens I get fresh spinach leaves,escarole,and endive lettuce.The endive can be a little bitter though.
My breakfasts are usually melons now,either all blended up,or as chunks in a bowl.
Brian

Date: July 23, 2008 02:22PM

Well, I had my very first green smoothie just a bit ago for breakfast! It looked TERRIBLE, but it tasted pretty darn good! I used about a c. of water, banana, mango, romaine and raspberries...not bad tasting at all. My wife even tried it and was ok with the taste...she just couldn't get past the color of it. Anyway, I was pumped and the first one is behind me. I can just add from there.

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 02:33PM

new2raw81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
she just
> couldn't get past the color of it. Anyway, I was
> pumped and the first one is behind me. I can just
> add from there.

ha ha...the peeps at work used to look at my smoothies and say what the heck is that?? the color was a muddy green brown...usually from the blueberries LOL my favorite is the alien green color smiling smiley
patty

Date: July 23, 2008 05:55PM

Here are my calcs after breakfast and lunch, halfway through my second day 100% raw. It looks like I'm obviously not eating enough, but I figured by letting some of you critique me you might find some glarring issues that maybe you experienced during your transition.

Breakfast - Green Smoothie(my very first one!)
Food Quantity Summary
Bananas 2 × 1 medium 210kcal 3/93/4%

Mangos 1 cup, slice 107kcal 4/93/3%

Romaine 5 × 1 leaf 8kcal 12/64/24%

Raspberries 1.5 × 10 berries 15kcal 7/86/7%

Celery 1 stalk(large) 9kcal 11/67/22%

Water 1 cup 0kcal

Lunch - 3 bananas

Total amounts for day
Calories 665
Calories From Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 1g 4%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 69mg 3%
Total Carbs 170g 65%
Dietary Fiber 22g 111%
Sugars 100g
Protein 9g 20%

Vitamin A 97% Vitamin C 197%

Calcium 10% Iron 14%

Again, I know nothing. If you can tell me anything that sticks out at you immediately, please do! Thanks.

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 08:53PM

Well, it's almost 4 p.m. and I'm stuck at work until 7 today. I ate three bananas for lunch, but being so new to raw I never realized that I would need much more food for the day. So now I'm stuck at work for three more hours, I'm SO hungry(although my stomach isn't growling now that I think about it), I have a hella bad headache and nothing to eat!! I don't suppose anyone might have any suggestions other than "pack more next time"?

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 23, 2008 09:47PM

new2raw,

I don't think anyone in North America cans say they are really hungry.

India etc. yes.

Take Deep breaths and drink some water. Your probably very un hydrated.

Date: July 23, 2008 09:53PM

You're right, I've no place to complain about hunger.

At this point, I've drank apprx 140 oz or 17.5 cups of water. How much do I need to increase that to avoid being "very un-hydrated"?

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 10:03PM by new2raw81.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 23, 2008 10:20PM

Welcome and congrats!

I don't drink as much water since going raw. I feel well hydrated from all the fruits and veggies I eat and from the ones I juice. I only drink about 40 ounces of water per day.

You should try spinach in your smoothies. They are my favorite tasting greens for making smoothies. Even my SAD eating husband loves smoothies with spinach. Collard greens are great too.

Also, you might try adding cilantro leaves to your green salads if you want a salad with a little kick to it.

Date: July 23, 2008 11:04PM

LOL now that you`ve turned the raw switch on you`ll be hungry alot at first. be prepared to eat every couple hours if possible. i`m sorry i don`t have suggestions for you i just pack lotsa fruit and salads. maybe some nuts ie heavier foods ie more calorically dense may help during transition....fortunately i have a job where i can graze....cuz that`s how i like to eat smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 23, 2008 11:27PM

Drink distilled water if anything not some fancy marketing water that will tell you that you can eventually walk on it if you keep drinking it.

Elminate any salt evan the himalayan salt nonsense.

If you have a hedache I wouldn't start eating nuts and seeds because they are mostly rancid unless they are still in the shell.

So need need to put more toxins in you.

Just eat more fruit that which agrees to you and like some have said you can plend it with some greens.

Cilantro Yukkk I can't stand the smell of it.

Date: July 23, 2008 11:41PM

globalresult Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Cilantro Yukkk I can't stand the smell of it.

really? hmm peeps dislikes and likes sure differ! the smell makes me high....meaning i LOVE it
patty

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 10:17PM

Good for you! We are all here pullin for ya! My suggestion would be...listen to your body, it really does know what it needs to fuel itself. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables