Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is raw corn edible?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:05AM

I live in the province of Québec (Canada) and corn will be in season in about 2 weeks...

Can i eat it raw? I remember trying it, in my souvenir it was a bit bland and starchy...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is raw corn edible?
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 05:27AM

If you can get it pretty fresh and not starchy, it is absolutely delicious. If it tastes starchy and old I'd probably avoid it. I am a big fresh corn lover. Can't wait to grow my own some day!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2008 01:21PM

I ate it all the time in the beginning (as an ingredient in my various salads). I found it sweet and delicious....but feel free to test it for yourself.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: goodsamaritan ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:19PM

Yes raw corn is edible if you are on the farm and just plucked the ripe corn yourself. Wait a few hours later and that corn tastes blah.

Date: July 23, 2008 03:42PM

ok, well here in Quebec its a big event, i mean its a sort of tradition.... EVERYBODY eats corn in the month of august, and have parties called "épluchette de blé d'inde", where the center of attraction is corn and eating it!! hahah

So i'll try to get some fresh cobs soon, im anxious!

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:44PM

What other vegetables are corn related to? Is it a un-sweet fruit or ...what? Don't the little corn nibblets have seeds in them or are seeds or something?

Just a random question, probably adding confusion! Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 03:44PM by iLIVE.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:08PM

I believe corn is a grain.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:22PM

I love raw corn, this summer I had it so many weeks. Try it. It is delicious.

Take care
A Iyer

Date: July 25, 2008 03:52PM

hmmm...Maybe its too soon in season, but i ate a cob yesterday...And it was pretty bland...

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 25, 2008 06:40PM

I ate two DELICIOUS ears out of my yard yesterday!

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: July 26, 2008 01:18AM

Most modern corns are hybrids that have been enhanced to be sweeter than nature intended..Once picked, the sugars in the kernals (seeds) of a ripe ear of the heirloom corns & the older hybrid corns (up to about the mid-1980's) immediately begin turning to starches..Which was why people in the old days strove to eat corn as soon after it was picked as possible..The very high sugar content corns were introduced in the late 80's & early 90's to trick people into thinking that a cob of corn that had been in transit for up to a week was still as fresh & palatable as a heirloom that was 8 hours old or less..

That is why people like my parents would drive to a farm stand every weekend to purchase fresh corn..Here in Baltimore City growing up we also had hucksters called A-rabs (long A) that drove horse drawn wagons through the alleys of our city streets selling fresh produce, especially corn, melons, green beans, & tomatoes..These primarily older black men had tremendous voices that they used to call out their wares..I can still hear them calling out ""Gotcher Fresh Corn!!!..Gotcher Ta-May-Ters!!..String Beans!!..Fresh Cant-Ter-Lopes!!!..Come & Get It!!!""..It's too bad those days are long gone..There are only a few of these guys left, & their days are numbered..

Bruce

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 01:20AM by baltochef.

Date: July 26, 2008 02:43AM

I've actually thought about buying an old ice cream truck and peddling my produce from my yard -- jes' like the good ol' days!

Date: July 26, 2008 02:44AM

Or maybe throw it in the bike trailer!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables