Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lack of iron and calcium
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 25, 2008 04:09AM

I've started noticing (with the help of nutridiary) that at the end of the end, i am ofter lacking of calcium and iron in my daily ideal %...

I tought i did not have to worry about these, since theres is supposed to be lots of calcium and iron in whole foods?

I eat high fruit though, i'm pretty close to the 80-10-10

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lack of iron and calcium
Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 25, 2008 04:36AM

It's simple just increase your food consumption in foods that carry these nutrients which are in most raw fress organic produce.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 25, 2008 09:40AM

Right. And once you are clean internally.......from reaching YOUR raw food goals.....you may find you are absorbing nutrition well....and don't need to eat the HUGE amounts of every nutrient EVERY day that most people seem concerned about (that IS a legitimate concern when eating and living poorly).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 25, 2008 11:46AM

That's why some of us eat lots of greens.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: July 25, 2008 02:58PM

It can be really hard to get the daily recommended iron and calcium, even with tons of greens, but if you're eating healthy and raw you may be getting a much better absorption rate than the people who created the recommendations assume. One free way to get a quick test of your iron level is to go to a red cross blood drive. They won't let you donate unless your blood iron level is sufficient, so they will test. I don't reach the RDA for iron most days, but when I gave blood yesterday I got a read-out for my blood iron which put it at a very healthy level and and far above average for a woman of menstruating age.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 25, 2008 03:24PM

I say, if you feel good, and energetic and love life than who cares what the recommendation says. Just look at the food guide pyramid, the bottom is carbohydrates from wheat, etc. and bread doesn't grow on trees, man. smiling smiley

I would be worried if you were drinking milk, then you would really have some calcium problems in the future. But we don't have to worry about that! right?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 25, 2008 03:39PM

i posted a message saying i had low calcium...it may still be on this front page or maybe page 2. there`s alot of useful info and links in it from various responders.
it`s called lacking calcium
patty

Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 25, 2008 03:48PM

hopefully, i ain't drinking gallons of milk everyday!! hahah it would be sooo gross!

The thing is, i know that leafy greens and crucifers contain calcium and iron, but how to eat enough if trying to fallow the 80-10-10???

My last meal is composed with vegetables, but i usually eat alot more fruit in the day, but gees, i cant eat 10 pounds of vegetables for my super, im gonna blow up!!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 25, 2008 10:06PM

A head of romaine lettuce, 3 cups of spinach, and 3 cups of kale will give you

567 mg calcium
11.9 mg iron
277 calories

If you add 1 brazil nut, 1 tbsp flax, and 3 walnuts, and a bunch of fruit to around 1350 kcal and that gives you the 80-10-10 ballpark, and about

900 mg calcium
18 mg iron
111 ug selenium
6 mg zinc
4 g omega3
6 g omega6

If you need more than 1350 kcal (and almost everyone does), add more fruit and you will just get even more vitamins, minerals, and efas. Basing things around a good green foundation makes it a lot easier to reach mineral needs.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 25, 2008 11:06PM

the RDA's and nutridiary are inflated for iron and calcium

check the WHO numbers

i don't have time to find a link right now
because i have to go eat some calcium and iron if i can find some

;-)

RELAX PEOPLE !!!!!!

This is the most nutrient dense, bioavailable diet on the planet!

every raw plant food we eat is perfect and complete, containing vitamins and minerals and fatty acids, etc.

ask the cow, the koala, the gorilla, the springbok

Eat some whole plants, then go live life...

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 25, 2008 11:35PM

fresh,

Your right the rda - real dumb anaolgy.

Trust your body not those fools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables