Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mushrooms ...Do you eat them raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2008 06:41PM

What mushrooms do you eat raw? All of them? Why do some "nutritional experts" advise against eating mushrooms raw?

Just curious!

TIA,

Mary Kay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mushrooms ...Do you eat them raw?
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 30, 2008 08:11PM

I eat portabellas, criminis, shiitakes, maitakes, "hen in the woods", and any other ones I find. Mushrooms can exacerbate yeast problems that are already present in the body. I had yeast problems until I went raw and cut out sweet fruit for a while. I also took a lot of probiotics and raw garlic to help kill the yeast. Haven't had a problem in months, though yeast infections used to be a common problem for me.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 30, 2008 09:41PM

I always ate a wide variety of mushrooms, rinsed and raw while transitioning. I don't think you'll have a problem should you CHOOSE to eat these as food.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 30, 2008 10:11PM

I've eaten all regular types (button, shiitake, portabello etc) raw. Never had a problem with them.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: July 31, 2008 08:41PM

I love raw mushrooms, button, shiitake and especially portabello!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 31, 2008 09:17PM

love em all
patty

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 01, 2008 01:51AM

I stopped eating mushrooms when I became raw as I heard they cause cancer. The life is in the seed. The mushroom is a spore and there is not seed. It is also a fungus.

Just my thoughts. Therese

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 01, 2008 05:28PM

I would advise extreme caution when eating any wild gathered mushroom raw since judgments on their edibility almost always have been made in the cooked state. Come to think of it, the same goes for cultivated ones. Cooking breaks down many of poisons. Wild mushrooms are an extremely variable group with great variations in toxicity from region to region. A professor of mycology at the local university almost died from mushroom poisoning. Overall I think it is best to avoid all mushrooms (wild and cultivated) raw, at least in any great quantity.

If you live on the west coast Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora is a good guide to the wild mushroom.

Avoid any mushroom with white gills like death, because it might be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables