Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you keep watermelon?
Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: August 01, 2008 01:44PM

Hi all,

It seems to me that it's impossible to finish the whole watermelon in one go. So usually I cut it into two and finish half of it first and the other half later on, but the problem is I don't know how to keep the other half of the watermelon. If I leave it just like that it might be oxidised little by little and if I put it in the fridge it may speed up the oxidation process, therefore I'd like to know how you guys deal with it.

Many thanks in advance. :-)

All the Best,
Wong

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you keep watermelon?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2008 03:49PM

Yes,
A whole melon is hard to finish in one day .
Mine usually last about 4.
I just cut off what I want,in wedge form,and just put it in one of those plastic grocery bags and put in fridge.The bag,if it has no holes,will catch all the water that leaks out during storage.
Thats it.
Brian

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 02, 2008 03:14AM

Hmm, not sure if this is any better. I ate watermelons a couple of weeks back. What I did was cut 1/4 of the top of it and ate what was on the "lid" and part of what was below, cutting chucks out of the bottom half and putting it into a bowl as desired. I put the watermelon back into the refrigerator with the "lid" back on it and the plastic bag covering the top of it. It would be wise to have one on the shelf below it to catch any juice that may spill from above. (I wouldn't put one directly under it as it may cause the bottom to rot with the condensation, etc., at least that has been my past experience.)

This seemed to work better for me than putting cellophane wrap on it as in the past. It seems to retain more of the freshness as it is almost sealed within itself again.

Therese

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: August 02, 2008 04:02AM

stand it with open side facing up
lay a plate on top

Date: August 02, 2008 06:11AM

Thanks for the inputs! :-)

Raw1228, that's a good idea. Hmmm... my main concern is that there might be loss in nutrient through oxidation... do you know any ways to minimize nutrient loss? Thanks ya!

life101, yes... cellophane wrap... that's what sellers always do, I even think of keeping it so I can use the same cellophane wrap over and over again. Haha, your idea of "lid" is a much better idea though.

fruitgirl, that's exactly what I did most of the time! smiling smiley

All the Best,
Wong

Date: August 02, 2008 03:17PM

Wong,
I just wrap up the melon real tight with the bag.
Brian

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: August 02, 2008 10:47PM

If it's cut up, I put a cellophane wrap and in the fridge. Otherwise, some of the really ripe watermelon tend to crack when you start cutting them with your knife. In that case, you can try to just cut the rind as if cutting the watermelon in half, but without cutting the flesh, and then finish cracking it open by hands. This way, the flesh is not cut up, and there is less open cells leaking water, thus reducing the spoilage. But the two halves may not be quite the same size...

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 03, 2008 01:25AM

Right. Just like Brian said. Just wrap the entire portion in the same plastic grocery bag you brought it home in and refrigerate. Alternately, you COULD just wrap/cover the exposed section with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Or just leave out: really only the exposed outer layer will gel up. You can cut that thin section away and eat as normal. The melon will keep in the refrigerator for at least a couple of days.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: stasia ()
Date: August 03, 2008 02:54AM

I try to cut it straight and even so it will have good contact with a plate and then put it face down on a plate. Every time I cut a new slice I use a new plate to seal it.

Date: August 03, 2008 09:17AM

Hey thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them. smiling smiley

All the Best,
Wong

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 03, 2008 09:42AM

I'd rather have a little bit of oxidation than use plastic wrap.

The plate idea is great.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 03, 2008 10:15AM

I always eat it all within the day... however easiest is to cut it up and place in an airtight jar

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 04, 2008 08:14PM

I do the plate thing as well. Face down on the plate. I have some large soup bow-type plates whose rims are a bit higher than the regular plates I have, catches the juice better. There is always a dedicated watermelon space in my fridge!

I keep the rinds, my husband juices those.

Date: August 19, 2008 03:31AM

Hi,
The best way to keep the watermelon half is to put it on a plate with the open side face down. This is the easiest way and doesn't need cover or top.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 19, 2008 04:50AM

make a jack o lantern out of it
so u get the innards

the outards kept in place minimize oxidation

g'luck

Date: August 19, 2008 05:05AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd rather have a little bit of oxidation than use
> plastic wrap.

geez, no kidding. plastic wrap is the devil!

sometimes when i have too much melon i cut up the left overs and feed my neighbours (and sometimes random strangers who are around when i'm walking by with my plate of irresistably delicious fruit!). or i stick it in the fridge and don't worry about it. the amount of nutrients lost is negligable, it's not something to concern yourself with over much.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 19, 2008 05:23AM

I use bowl covers that look like shower caps to keep my watermelon fresh. These shower cap bowl covers are reusable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables