Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

detoxing
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: August 17, 2008 01:58PM

I just posted this in the blending section, and thought I might get more bites here! Looking for info on detoxing/cleansing - what is the best way, what has worked for others, info about MC? (can someone post that website again about MC?)

Some history - lots of SAD, total junk for about 30 y rs (32 now), past history of ED, had two kids in two years, breastfed non-stop for five years, pretty active now and want to do a more definitive cleanse. Thanks for any and all advice!

Also - I just got a rec for Joshie's Holistic Detox....anyone know anything about it? I think that it involves cooked food, but have no clue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: detoxing
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 17, 2008 02:11PM

The best way is a commitment to the process of ALWAYS asking YOURSELF what you think are the highest foods...and of setting realistic goals (with timetables) to get you there....for the rest of your life. LOL.

-On the practical side, people with the WORST habits always want to do the MOST....especially at the beginning......with something of a 'I'm going to make up for my past habits in one big swoop' mentality. The reality is that those with the worst previous track record are the ones who should be making the SMALLEST....miniscule changes....in thought, foods and lifestyle. That gradual change will give rise to a feeling of pleasure and accomplishment.

-So: Let the foods be your cleansers and your medicine. If you feel you must 'cleanse' try a day of just orange juice. Or a day of not eating at all. A regular habit of doing thus will go far more towards a long-term cleansing than any medications, products, or complicated regimes.

-Just my opinions. Power and success to you VeggieFreak! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 17, 2008 02:24PM

I agree with DZM's post above. Also I find sweating is a good detox as it is natural and gets a lot of junk out.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:56PM

The easiest and hardest cleansing is fasting. The dry fast is the hardest, next hardest is the distilled or alkaline water only detox.

I did the Master Cleanse way prior to Raw. It's not Raw as it involves maple syrup which is cooked. I haven't done the dry fast but I have done the 10-day distilled water fast.

Detox comes naturally with Raw vegan. As Dave suggest, start slowly and progress. Detox can be too shocking to the system. People can die from detox and fasting if not done right. Read Dr. Ehret's "The Mucusless Diet Healing System". While not really a Raw book, it does address fasting and detox. Also, you will want to detox your environment. Read Hulda Clark's "The Cure for All Diseases".

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 18, 2008 02:20AM

I agree with EZ. Find a room in your house that you can turn off
from air conditioning, and drink water, and sweat. I have a room
that I call my Sun Room. It sometimes gets 100 degrees in there.
I like to exercise and perspire. It really works as a Detox.
Of course, the Key is not to put more toxins in once you start
getting them out.....WY

Date: August 19, 2008 02:05AM

DZM - you are totally right, and that was exactly my mentality when I posted that!! I have been frustrated with myself because I too have been craving so much cooked food lately....and do realize that it is all emotionally tied.

WY - I have been riding my road bike outside in the 90 degree weather and am completely drenching myself and clothes in sweat. (BTW - are you getting any affects from trop storm Fayyet - or is it heading your way?) I don't really have a room IN the house that I can close off completely. What about the sauna? I have access to the one at the gym and always forget about it. I really don't know anything about saunas actually and for some reason used to put it in the same class as tanning beds, but there really is no comparison right? I think I am going to give that a try as well, I should do it after working out?

Date: August 19, 2008 02:52AM

veggiefreak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about the sauna?
It is totally different from a Tanning Booth.
The Sauna is a good choice, but I like to Move and Sweat.
It just seems to be more cleansing. Riding your bike is a
good form of exercise, as well as detoxing......WY

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 19, 2008 11:06AM

I would cleanse with food, but that's just me winking smiley You should read "The 80/10/10 diet" But don't do 'it' if you don't read the book; Graham suggests water fasts sometimes. You can ask him on his board too, or other people - vegsource.com (click on the side link that has douglas graham next to it) if you want.

Also try drinking more green smoothies?

Or you could do Bikram Yoga - yoga in 90 or so degree room. It's considered a cleanse, or detox.

And there's exercise, my favorite. You get a nice feeling from it and it fights depression and stress, big time.

Definitely eliminate all of the bread and starch, and after a while, you just don't crave it at all. It's pretty cool.

Date: August 19, 2008 12:38PM

iLive - I do follow 80/10/10, and love it actually. The cooked food I have been craving has been like cooked rutabaga or turnip mostly, or squash. It is still the starch I think? I drink a lot of green smoothies - most days one or two (Right now, bananas with bok choy and green leaf lettuce!)

DZM hit the nail on the head when he said this, "On the practical side, people with the WORST habits always want to do the MOST....especially at the beginning......with something of a 'I'm going to make up for my past habits in one big swoop' mentality" I was in that mentality and feeling like I needed to go to the extreme.

I am going to continue working out, at the gym and on my bike and then also trying the sauna. iLive, thanks for the link for the vegsource site, I always completely forget about that site! I think it could possibly offer some great 80/10/10 support!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 19, 2008 02:04PM

vf,

you say you follow 811.

did you read the book?

I say that because the way you speak about cleansing, leads me to believe that either you disagree with his philosophy regarding cleansing, or you haven't read the book.

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: August 20, 2008 10:15PM

Hey everyone, I have a friend who is reasonably health illiterate but after hearing about me, wants to try a fast. Sheeesh, just like DZM says smiling smiley.
Anyway, I told him that there is a science to it and not to rush into it and to read some info on it before doing it. My question is... do any of your know a real good introductory artical on the net on how to break into fasting ?

I would like one that explains the about the benifits and cautions of water fasting, and also covers the advantages of juice fasts.
Thanks in advance.

Date: August 20, 2008 11:55PM

Lightform Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> I would like one that explains the about the
> benifits and cautions of water fasting, and also
> covers the advantages of juice fasts.
> Thanks in advance.
That's a Tall order.
In general, Juice Fasting is best for the person with
many stored Toxins. Water Fasting, being more aggressive,
is best for the more Healthy.....WY

Date: August 21, 2008 12:47AM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vf,
>
> you say you follow 811.
>
> did you read the book?
>
> I say that because the way you speak about
> cleansing, leads me to believe that either you
> disagree with his philosophy regarding cleansing,
> or you haven't read the book.

I did read the book, a long time ago! I have no recollection as to what his stance was on cleansing or detoxing....and I have been lending the book out left and right to everyone trying to include more raw in their diets (I currently don't have it in my possesion.) I will check on the website. Thanks for letting me know about it, I am definitely interested in re-reading that part again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables