Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

yesterday was my first attempt at a raw day, how can I improve?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2008 01:34PM

I wanted to start with a juice fast, all day long I have about 60 oz of watermelon and raw apple juice. It was going well however at around 10 PM I just had to go get some fast food, which I of course regretted / ruined my evening. What should I have done differently? Should I have just had more juice? It is so difficult, but I think once I can get a couple days together, it is possible. I'm going to try again today, what should I do differently?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: yesterday was my first attempt at a raw day, how can I improve?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 27, 2008 01:59PM

I would say what you should do differently is eat, not just drink. Fill yourself up with delicious fruit and salad and maybe you won't desire unhealthy or omnivorous foods.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 27, 2008 03:00PM

you have just started.

you can be the first health seeker in the history of the world to do this right.

have an overriding goal that you work towards.

even if you try to do everything perfectly, there will be bumps.
that's because even if you've satisfied the true body,
the false body is not satisfied and wants the old stuff.

but the false body withers and dies over time.

Embrace and Accept and Enjoy all of it, including the fast food, if that's what you've chosen for that moment.

your body will speak to you louder over time, moving you towards your goal.

no regrets. no beating yourself up.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 27, 2008 04:27PM

No one is telling you that you have to change....what is probably years of poor eating and living habits.....in ONE night! (or even 30...60....or 365 nights). LOL. Be KIND to yourself. Any reversion back to old eating habits....or things which are not in line with YOUR goals....means you are changing too fast....and not setting small goals that are right for YOU.

-On the practical side: Somewhere between 'fast food' and a juice fast...heh..heh...search for healthier alternatives. At the bare minimum....prepare your own junk food. The act of making it from scratch instead of having it handed to you....will make you more aware/conscious.

-Just my opinion. Luck and power to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 27, 2008 04:42PM

fresh, that was so brilliant.

Try a green smoothie which will fill you up and give it a good three days to give your body a chance to feel the difference. Go for a short goal.

About fast foods allure I watched a video about what kind of process their food goes through and it really made my stomach curl.

Posted by: DerekXMcCoy ()
Date: August 27, 2008 04:44PM

Give yourself time to figure this thing out. Considering that you're a fast food eater transitioning to raw, making it to 10 pm on watermelon and apple juice is pretty good. Try setting goals for yourself. If I were you I'd eliminate fast food and most processed food right away. Once you feel comfortable with that, eliminate dairy, then meat, then gluten...During this time you should set concurrent goals for how much raw, fresh produce you eat. In my first week I decided that I would eat at least 5 pieces of fresh fruit every day. The week after that I increased that number and on and on. The more produce you eat the less you'll crave junk food over time.

I'd also suggest that you start an exercise routine if you don't already have one. This will help to relieve the stress of detox while creating another healthy aspect in your new lifestyle. If you haven't exercised for a while start off with walking at a distance and speed that you feel comfortable with.

Just take your time and be patient while staying on top of your goals. If you're truly ready to be healthy, you'll make it work. You won't be able to undo the effects of the bad food you've been eating for quite a while, but you should see radical changes in yourself almost immediately. This will make your journey a lot of fun from the start. Good luck.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 27, 2008 08:44PM

I agree with the above posts. At 10 1/2 months all fresh raw I slipped and if it hadn't been for persistence in getting back on track I would now be a casualty so if you fall, get up, learn what you can, and resume your journey to better health and wellness. I am now close to 13 months raw and I am once again enjoying the positive blessings of living the raw food lifestyle.
Everyone finds a way to do raw that is right for them. Keep experimenting and tweaking as you go. I found a way that works for me. I eat all fresh raw foods with most all of my foods being what I call fast raw foods. I eat lots of grapes plucked off a cluster like some people would eat pop corn. I eat mostly mono meals of fresh fruit all day long starting with melons. Its simple, its easy, and its fast. Then in the evening I usually eat two salad meals. I like to space my meals apart by waiting for a slight first weak hunger signal. The trick to making this work is to read your body signals as if they are communicated to you by your own personal raw food coach.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: August 27, 2008 10:52PM

let yourself have all the fruit you wish ~

really GOOD fruit...
plums, peaches, berries, figs, oranges, melons...

fresh ripe fruit is the ultimate fast food!!!

what are your favorite fruits?

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: August 28, 2008 01:14AM

What I would suggest if you attempt fasting again, is to vary your juice choices to include green juices along with your fruit juice, specifically vegetables that are naturally salty and naturally bitter. It sounds to me that because your body was only taking in sweet juice all day ( which is very yin in Chinese Medicine), and our bodies naturally crave balance in the form of both yin and yang foods and experiences, you found yourself craving balance at the end of the day which is how you suddenly found yourself overtaken by cravings for salty, meaty, fast food ( which is very yang).

Your own body, in it's attempt to create balance inside, was actually doing something "good" for you even though it seemed very "bad" from the outside.

Dandelion juice is naturally bitter, astringent, and balancing to the liver. And celery juice in very high in natural salts. I would try to include some of these vegetables into your juice fast diet the next time you go fasting. Bitter and salty tastes balance out sweet ones.

Deliberately creating better digestive harmony ahead of time has been the best way I know to avoid getting hit with seemingly inexplicable cravings.

PEACE
Choco

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 28, 2008 12:13PM

another idea is if you want to eat something that you know is not so good for you, chew it and spit it out.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 28, 2008 03:22PM

fresh - I've done that too, with things I have struggled with!

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 28, 2008 04:47PM

Well, I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but in terms of giving up some of my old favorite foods, I have always found I have a strong mental resistance to telling myself I may not ever have something that I really like, and it usually sets me up for failure.

So instead, I found it worked better to tell myself that of course I was allowed to eat my forbidden food. But there was one catch. I first had to eat one full serving of my healthy raw alternative.

So, for potato chips for instance (which I absolutely loved!), I would have to first sit down with some raw crackers with guacamole or something else that I dreamed up as a substitute. Eat the whole thing and when I was done I was allowed to go ahead with the chips. That way, the more nutritious stuff got in first. Almost every time, I would end up not wanting the chips because I would be full and satisfied, and it didn't feel like a deprivation any more. But if I occasionally did go ahead and eat a few chips, I forgave myself. For one thing, I would have a very small portion because I was already full of other food, and secondly I wasn't disappointing myself because I wasn't really breaking a rule. Eventually the cravings just went away.

Sapphire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables