Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Feeling tired after transitioning from 50% to 100% raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 07, 2008 12:33AM

Hey, Did anyone else get the same symptoms I got from going 100% raw? I guess you can say I did it hardcore going 100% raw from eating junk food in the past. I'm 2 weeks into being 100% raw before today. I used to drink green smoothie and fruits all throughout the day then eating anything else I wanted in the afternoon and night (fast foods, etc.) for about 2 years now and then decided to just go 100% raw. This is my 3rd real attempt going 100% raw, which gets easier and easier actually.

The only problem now is I would get really tired throughout the day. And after I excercise, I would just have an energy crash. I'd have to take a quick rest on the bed or sleep for at least 30mins to get back some of my energy.

Now today, I felt tired too and I'm thinking maybe I'm being way too harsh on myself so I just decided to get some cooked McDonalds food. I wasn't really craving for it but I just wanted to see if eating what I normally ate before would kind of bring me back to my normal energy level.

Well, it didn't make too much of a difference though. I didnt feel better nor worse. So now I'll just continue to eat raw and hopefully I'll get more energy as the days go by.

The main reason why I'm doing this is because I just want more energy and more motivation to do my job. I sit on the computer all day and own a business and it would benefit my company big time if I'm able to just complete all my to-do-list that's piling up every day and creating new products to sell online and adding to my inventory. It seems like it ain't happening now and it seems like I have less motivation to do the work I need to do.

I used to work maybe 70 hours a week including weekends. Now I work maybe 55 to 60 hours a week and weekends I'd feel a bit lazy which usually doesn't happen for me. If anything I use my weekends to do all my creative work when all the employees are not here.

The only thing I can think of that is affecting my energy is the fact that I did have an episode where I felt very very very tired (this was before and the reason why I switched to 100% raw). I think it was low blood pressure or low blood sugar or something. I'm not sure what caused my light-headedness really. I went to the doc and he checked me good, no diseases like diabetes or anything wrong. He just wrote me a perscription to take some meds for my light-headedness which of course I just threw away. But yea, this incident was one of the worst experience I've ever had. I felt nautious and at the same time I was very light-headed and felt I had no energy at all (and I wasn't sick for sure). My body couldn't digest any food for energy so that made it worse. I really wanted to go to the hospital because I felt so bad.

I do have a confession to make which is I did take some Ecstasy a couple days before this incident so this may be the leading culprit. The thing is, I did use the same exact pill a few months ago and was totally fine. I don't consider myself a drug user. It was just my high school reunion so we just did it one last time for memory sake which proved to be the dumbest thing I've ever done. Regardless, I know that it doesn't take 2 weeks to recover from one pill of Ecstasy. At most maybe 4 days and that's if I loaded up on alot in a day.

Anyways, my question is, what is everyone else's initial experience in going 100% raw hardcore for the first couple of days or weeks? What are the symptoms? How long should it last? And does everyone's energy level increase on a consistent basis throughout the day and week after all the symptoms were gone? I keep hearing everyone's energy level is much improved but I don't know if it's a palcebo effect or not. The real test would be if your energy level has been up and maintained for months or even years. In particular, I'm asking about mental energy and creativity - mental clarity and sustainable motivation and all around happiness. Happy to just do all the work you need to do in your job.

Thanks if you've made it through reading my novel above and let me know. I'm very curious to know what your experiences have been initially.

BTW, my 100% raw diet consists of green smoothie (mixed with superfoods like maca, spiralina, algae) in the morning and afternoon with fruits (some salt if i need). Then some nuts and seeds for fat and protein. Sometimes I take a spoonful of coconut oil for added fat. Chocolate smoothie with raw chocolate and goji berries and all other berries with coconut juice and meat.

My doc says my light-headedness is caused by too little salt as I drink alot of liquids, it washes away the salt so I have to have more salts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 12:45AM by krayziez.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feeling tired after transitioning from 50% to 100% raw
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 07, 2008 01:10AM

Hey krayziez. 'Raw' is just a label. It is certainly not synonymous with 'healthy'. There are MANY aspects to being well - as I'm sure you know. After doing research, it is up for each person to envision, decide, and act on what they have determined to be the best lifestyles. THIS is the power - and not so much the practicality of changing the diet....which is do-able.

-Feeling tired or having ups or downs in energy is VERY normal....even with SAD eaters.....but ESPECIALLY normal when changing ones diet. Changing one's diet very quickly or in a big way.......would very likely cause a roller-coaster of big energy.......and big lows....for a time.

-The key for most folks would be over-all consistency. A consistent lifestyle where one can move forward....with occasional plateaus. Big switches back to (what the person thinks) is a poor lifestyle or eating......indicates something else going on. Certainly poor identification and planning and goal setting of the goals that are important to the person. Heh...heh.

In any event, my take/opinion is that eliminating drugs, chemicals, and processed consumables will certainly go a long way to balance out ups and downs of energy. In the mean time, settle on an eating way and daily activity level that allows you the energy you need. You might also wish to examine the work/activities that you are doing also. If they REQUIRE some gargantuan effort & energy on your part all the time....it may pay dividends (health wise) to cut back on work output...until you are at the health level you need.

-Just some thoughts/tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:48PM

Not to condemn but why would you even want to poison your body if you believe in raw? You say you don't do drugs but yet you did it for nostalgia. That is not much of an excuse if you believe that your health is important.

Also, lightheadedness can be caused by detox wherein your pH is too acidic. You will want to increase your alkaline level to offset this. I'm not sure how the drug relates to this.

I do know that the cleaner one's body, the more toxins affect the body. I used to be okay with most people's sweat smell but now I start to hyperventilate when I smell the strong sweat of a meat-eater. I sometimes gag in the restroom b/c of the stench. I can smell presriptions in discarded feminine protection, etc.

If one increases the level of raw, there is yet another level of detox. This may be part of your tiredness. Also, your nutrient level may not be sufficient. Check fitday.com. Therese

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 08, 2008 12:35AM

ok the drugs thing is not a big deal. i dont do drugs often at all. like i said, it was a one time thing. the last time i dropped was maybe 6 months ago and before that was a few years ago so it's really no big deal.

as for the pH, if i'm not 100% raw, then i'm 50% raw which means my pH is pretty stable assuming rarely anyone does green juice. too acidic i would say that ppl who don't do green juice would fall in that category. i'm sure green juice/smoothie each day wipes that possibility.

anyways, i feel really energetic today, mentally and physically. the only thing i really changed today was running a few miles in the morning and resting and i ate some fast food yesterday morning so not sure if any of those 2 had anything to do with any of this.

i've also increased my caloric intake of raw foods this afternoon. maybe i just need more calories. i was trying to lose weight and lose the extra fat around my body but i guess 8 lb in 1-2 weeks is too much when i'm only a little overweight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables