Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Appetite loss - Why do I forget to eat?
Posted by: Rose of Cairo ()
Date: September 08, 2008 02:13AM

Hi all :-)

I've lost my appetite recently. I just don't feel like eating, even when I'm being hungry. No food really appeals to me. I often just forget to eat.

I often feel weak and lack motivation, then I remember that I haven't eaten enough. If I then eat lots of fruit, my motivation and energy come back - but not for long, and I have to forcefully push the food into myself, because I really don't feel like eating. I generally get slightly nauseous when I eat.

The last two days, I've had big headaches, too. Today I woke up at 2am with a terrible headache. After drinking a whole bottle of water and eating a big fruit salad it got better, but still hurts.

Is it detox? Or is it sugar crashes? Am I doing something wrong?

I switched to a high fruit diet a month ago, is it related? Before that I took a three weeks break from the 100% raw diet, and before that for three months my diet was low fruit high greens low fat. I didn't have this problem back then.

Does someone have an idea? Thank you so much and I wish you all a wonderful day :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Appetite loss - Why do I forget to eat?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 08, 2008 02:22AM

If you don't have a weight problem or eating disorder, than taking a conscious break from food is fine...for a day or two. Try to find a consistency in your diet that works for you when you return to eating. Avoid extremes of going without food and then pigging out. LOL. This is common.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 08, 2008 04:15AM

Thanks for your reply David :-)

I have no eating disorder, as for my weight, I'm overweight and losing weight very fast since I went raw. I don't feel like taking a break from food because I feel really bad when I don't eat.

On cooked foods I had problems with my sugar metabolism, I often had hypoglycemia and could not eat carbs without crashing if I didn't eat them very regularly. That's why I suspect the high fruit diet is not right for me. Can fruit cause hypoglycemia?

But maybe it's just detox?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2008 04:17AM by Rose of Cairo.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 08, 2008 12:14PM

Yup. Sounds like just regular detox symptoms to me. Just change your diet very slowly.....by setting very small, permanent, long-term goals.....of changing perhaps 1-2% per week....and detox will be minimal and hardly noticeable. Some people do better on a mostly greens diet at first....as fruit can be especially cleansing.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: September 08, 2008 06:16PM

When there is no apetitte for food, it is great to do a short fast. According to Dr Herbert M Shelton, the body tells you when it is ready for a fast. Apetitie is a great tool for that. If you can handle a waterfast, it may be good to do that. Or juice fast s a safer bet. But always listen and recognize what the body tells you.

When I did juice fast, Imade lots of juice, but I drank obly a litle bit. Dr Shelton says drink if you are thirsty and let it be the guide...

Take care.
A Iyer

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 08, 2008 10:09PM

Rose, You sound a bit depressed, too. This lack of energy is a symptom of lack of food and detox. You might want to eat more greens to slow detox and be more balanced in your dietary intake.

Even Dr. Graham suggests to eat some greens. I prefer more greens, etc.

Do what feels healthy and supportive of your health needs. Therese

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 09, 2008 11:20AM

hypoglycemia is not caused by fruit when 10 percent fat or less is eaten - this is because blood sugar has to work harder if fat is stuck in the veins and more is produced, leading to a crash (in a nutshell)

Keep in mind that 10 percent fat is about an ounce of nuts if you were to also eat around 4 to 5 pounds of fruit that day and a pound of lettuce with some vegetables. So it's very very low fat.

I don't know if it is detox or not - that's the tricky thing about this diet that confuses mee AH!

Date: September 09, 2008 04:51PM

Thank you all for your replies. :-)

I thought it could be hypoglycemia at first because the symptoms matched. But now I got new symptoms that don't fit in. I got a gingivitis and one of my tonsils is swollen big time (only the right one). I'm having unjustified sore muscles on my entire body, still a terrible permanent headache, and I'm thirsty all the time. I drink one bottle of water after the other and it's never enough, I'm still thirsty.

Maybe I just caught a flu or a cold. But it doesn't feel like a flu or a cold (and usually I'm just never sick). I don't even feel sick, I feel like exercising and working.

I'm permanently hungry now. Last night I woke up several times because of being terribly hungry. I also had dreams about eating food, lol :-D I ate as much as I could and went back to sleep, but after just two hours I'd wake up with a devastating hunger again.

It's clear that I'm undereating. I really would like to eat much more, especially greens. Unfortunately I can find no food that I'd like to eat and I cannot eat much (much meaning two bananas or equivalent) without feeling immediately nauseous. My kitchen's full of food but when I look at it I just feel disgusted and think "bleh...".

@Therese: I can see how my posts sound depressed. I'm not depressed though. On the contrary, my default mood is excellent, and I'm a happy and active person. But yeah, when I'm feeling weak and hungry all the time but bored with all food, I lack motivation for my projects. I just feel that I have no energy for them. Healthy would be simply to eat more. I don't know how to bring myself to eat more though.

@iLIVE: erhm, I didn't get your explanation about fat and hypoglycemia :-/
I eat about half an avocado or an entire avocado every 2-3 days and a dozen raw peanuts a week. I don't know if that's more or less than 10%.

As for detox, yeah, it confuses me too that it's good when I'm feeling bad... :-)

Date: September 10, 2008 09:04PM

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that everything's back to normal now! :-) My appetite is back and I eat more greens than before now. I don't know if it was detox or a flu, or an emotional issue... but it's gone now :-)

Thank you very much to all posters for your kind support :-) I wish you a wonderful day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables