Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food powder supplements???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: September 09, 2008 03:18PM

Hi there... how are you on this beautiful day... a few clouds here... but the rain has been a nice cleanse for the earth as i cleanse my body..... i am considering taking a raw food powder supplement... vitamineral greens... which i know to be well made and a descent product... simply by word of mouth... but i wonder how neccessarry is it? I do take a B12 vitamin... and it seems to help... but as i want to tak my foods in as most holistic form as possible i wonder if this powder is not holistic... it is processed to a certain degree... though i also want to be sure i am getting all the important nutrients... and as i have just completed a very intense colon cleanse... would this be something i should consider taking... i'm worried about being dependant on something other than simple foods for my nutrients...

I appreciate the advice or simple opinions anyone chooses to offer...blessings

love laugh and dream
g

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food powder supplements???
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 09, 2008 05:08PM

I like simple fresh raw foods so when I look at the packaged container of powdered food and I see how long it will stay "fresh" I cannot help but wonder if that is the same measure of "fresh" as just picked out of the garden fresh foods ? I have reached my own conclusions about that - what are your conclusions ?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 09, 2008 07:54PM

If B-12 is derived from soil-borne bacteria, then why not grow a bunch of wheat grass....or radishes....in your yard.....and just pick them out of the soil and eat them whole? Heh...heh. That's about as holistic as it gets! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: September 12, 2008 03:33AM

but i am not living at my own place... i am a wanderer... and at the moment i am at my dad's...a nice big very manicured lawn... could i do it in a pot...i suppose... i will have to research growing wheatgrass i tried once and failled...

dirt and all???

i just notice my i get a little crazy with out that b 12 everyonce in awhile...

though i think i am decided against the rawfood powder... thank you

love laugh and dream
g

Posted by: wooway ()
Date: September 13, 2008 08:07PM

Hi Luvyuu!

Great post, great question...

Your spot on in your desire or interest to sport a serving or 2 per day of green food type powder.. the only way to get your trace minerals, no matter what any raw or NH guru tells you.. they are short on facts of the depleted and dead soils.

For continued quality, nutrient density, and value, stick with Garden of Life Perfect Food 300gm powder... about $1 per serving, and uses mostly juiced greens and spirulina/chlorella/kelp as well... 1-2sv a day and your set, stick with your B-12 (make it 1000mcg/day, of METHYLcobalamin which is non toxic and instantly absorbed B12 with no cyanide like the commonly used version in most vitamins/multis, etc), and take 400-1000iu of Vit D per day (vegan D-2 if you prefer)..

and your set... vitality with no downside..

Informant

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: September 14, 2008 02:31AM

wooway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>METHYLcobalamin which is non toxic and instantly absorbed B12 with
> no cyanide like the commonly used version in most
> vitamins/multis, etc), and take 400-1000iu of Vit
> D per day (vegan D-2 if you prefer)..

Hi there! Is nutritional yeast fortified with B12 (cyanocobalamin or whatever) toxic? I take a methyl B12 supplement but I like nut. yeast for the other B-vitamins.
On the contrary, I've read vitamin D2 to be toxic.

Posted by: paragon1685 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 04:15PM

I love it any time someone is promoting powdered "food"
on a Raw Food message board; calling these processed
concoctions "wholesome," "healthy," "essential," or
something else like that.

It sort of reminds me of hanging around all those
Raw Food gurus and "experts." Many spend their time
pushing their pills, potions, caplets, E-3, and esp.
that "raw" chocolate. Going to a Raw festival is
like going to a pharmaceutical convention.

No thanks, I'll stick with the real thing, and take
my chances.

Go Raw!

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Date: September 15, 2008 05:16PM

Thanks for your response...

If you like nutritional Red Star yeast, it's not a problem. It has a naturally chelated form of B-12, originated from cyanocobalamin if I remember correctly.
This is the other form that is acceptable if you like it, Dr. Ruth Heirdrich, an all raw ~70yr old triathlete champion uses it daily in her salads to get the B12 and complex... It is also proven to correct deficiencies and be a solid source. I like the methyl b-12 sublingual, as it absorbs quickly and I get the B-12 without any other things or dead yeast that is still in the nutritional yeast.

I honestly haven't read that the vegan Vit. D-2 form is toxic, I do know that it absorbs about ~60% as efficiently as Vit. D-3. THe choice is yours, but I wouldn't go over 1000iu per day.

Have a blessed day..

Date: September 15, 2008 05:22PM

Hey Steve, nice to meet you.

I fully agree with your assumption Re: "gurus" and we all know who you mean who whore out the usually unnecessary and exotic "raw supplements..."

My perspective is getting THE msot nutrients, in the least amount of food, volume, calories, etc... PLUS, your can get a handful of relatively inexpensive green food powders that are low heat processed and dried (under 118F) and therefore raw, and are a necessity these days considering the sad Truth of the depleted soils in most of America... read my post from 2 days ago about Supplements, B12-Vit D, Hybrid foods, etc... We NEED the 70-90 trace minerals on a fairly consistent basis, we NEED Vit B-12 daily or EOD or so, we NEED Vit D (most don't get enough sun, even then 95% of Americans have a HUGE deficit which has to be caught up on and front loaded to bridge the deficiency gap, i.e. a single daily Vit D supp), and besides that, raw food veggies, greens,a nd fruits are the mainstay, We all agree on that....

2 things you do NOT want to "take your chances on" are a too late VIT B-12 or VIT. D deficiency... these are NASTY NASTY results and pain, suffering, disease, degeneration, and body/neural breakdown that you usually can't reverse... So why debate semantics and purism for the sake of THRIVING by taking 2-3 small, non toxic, inexpensive supps per day... ???

InFoRmAnT
Holla if ya hear me...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 15, 2008 05:44PM

wooway,

How much do you spend on supplementation? It is close to what arugula spends, say like $10-$12 a year, or is it less or more? I don't need the exactly number, but a ballpark (say like $100 a year, $10 a year, etc).

Date: September 15, 2008 05:55PM

To Bryan,

With consideration to my ~13 years past experience as a bodybuilder, etc. and the past 6 years as a vegetarian, then vegan, and past 2 years raw vegan, cumulitively, about ~$75,000 on all supplements (i've consumed over 23,000 protein shakes in my life for instance, over 70 colonics in years past, etc) and healing, cleansing, bodywork modalities over 15 years...

So I can speak of all I speak of from a RARE point of view and experiential trail and error, most than most I've met.

Currently and the past 1-2 years, my supplement budget/usage includes a pittance (similar to what T Colin Campbell recommends, backed by honest science):

1. Vit B-12, Methylcobalamin, 1 tab - 1000mcg/day, Natural Factors, 90 microdot sublingual tabs, $15 per 3 months
2. Vit. D-3, Dr Andrew Weil brand, 1 tab - 1000iu/day, 100 microdot tabs, $7 per 100 days
3. Barlean's Flax Oil w/algaic based DHA, 1 teaspoon empty stomach/night 2-3gms - day, $12 per 1 month or so due to spoilage
4. Garden of Life Perfect Food green superfood powder, 3 svgs/day = $3/day

THat's about it... not to "extreme" or un-Dr Graham/NH'ish now is it, to ENSURE vitality and non deficiency of the few things that are almost garaunteed on long term raw vegan diets... beyond purism or romantiscism based on empiral reality?

Date: September 15, 2008 06:03PM

What ISN"T natural or hygenic or healthy is people taking the fruit/green/80-10-10 advocates literally and without discernment or critical thinking and hence eating 10-20-30 bananas A DAY (not per month or per year, but PER DAY!)... or consuming ONE WHOLE WATERMELON AT A SITTING, or 6-10 oranges, etc etc etc...

the human body is not, in any natural context, meant to consume 4,5,6,7,etc POUNDS of food per DAY, let alone per MEAL, as I have read some people doing so as to get those "vital calories".... people are all strung out and freaking over taking 2-3 essential and non toxic inexpensive supplements per day?! but aren't the least bit worried or suspicious of eating POUNDS and POUNDS of food and feeling disgustingly bloated and full all the time? Gimme a rest, please, it's all too much, LOL...

6-16oz of food PER MEAL, is suffient,2-3lbs per day, etc... regardless of calories... again, calories have been debunked as the primary or even secondary, tertiary factor in diet, nutrition, or food intake... there are 10 other important factors Re: food selection, quantity, quality, and necessity for the human being.. has everyone missed this fact?

People need to look at food intake by WEIGHT and nutrient density, NOT by calories.... Dr Joel Fuhrman prove this... eat for nutrient density and everything else falls into place..

This is another taboo that needs to be dismantled and reformed... wouldn't you agree?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables