Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruits-acid or alkaline??
Posted by: sweterson ()
Date: July 01, 2006 01:10PM

I read a post further down which made me think too many fruits are acid forming. I have always read before they are alkaline. I also read "The Primal Diet" a ways back and that author stated that too many fruits made his teeth and bones suffer. What's the real story?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruits-acid or alkaline??
Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 01, 2006 03:59PM

Yes I really think so. Fruits are great but they basically shouldn`t make up the bulk of what we eat. Greens should. And the more amount of fruit you eat the more greens you need to buffer all that. Fruit, in moderation is great. In excess it can create all sorts of problems. Some people do fine on a fruitarian diet but most people in the long run need to eat lots of greens, it`s only natural. I love Victoria Bountenko for this-for spreading awareness about the amount of greens we need to consume.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 01, 2006 06:38PM

Most fruits are considered alkaline, at least in the books I've referenced. But sugar is an acid food. In an overly acidic environment/body, the sugar in the fruit feeds microforms...it's basically the favorite food of yeast, infection, parasites, worms, mold and etc. Too much sugar in the body makes for too friendly a habitat for disease causing "bugs".

If a person is balanced, then fruit now and then ain't a bad thing. But if you've been on a SAD prior to cleaning up your act, then fruit should probably be avoided or limited.

The whole acid/alkaline thing is relatively new. Macrobiotics on the other hand is not; it's an ancient dietary system and in Macrobiotics fruit is limited to occasional or special occasion use only. It's not recommended for daily consumption.

Personally, I think it makes the best sense to eat a wide variety of foods within those foods one allows oneself. I would never consider not eating lots of green, leafy vegetables. Also, those foods which are technically fruits: avacados, tomatoes, bellpeppers,and mushrooms are alkalizing to the system because they are low-sugar fruits. Lemons and limes are also included in the low-sugar fruit category.

hope this helps,

~Kathleen

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 01, 2006 07:06PM

Well, according to the chart on this site (towards the bottom):
[www.naturalhealthschool.com]

most fruits are alkalising.

I've been eating a hight fruit diet, with plenty of greens, for about 4 years now and it works wonderfully for me, as it seems also to do for lots of people. I think the important thing is to eat a balanced diet including sweet fruit, non-sweet fruit, greens and fats (esp making sure you get your omega 3s).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: judes ()
Date: July 02, 2006 12:58AM

I noticed a typo in this thread.

Khale said
"Also, those foods which are technically fruits: avacados, tomatoes, bellpeppers,and mushrooms "

mushrooms are not fruit in fact they are not even plants.

friuts come from certian kinds of flowering broad leaf
plants. not fungi evergreen trees algae or ferns.

friuts are new to this planet (last 65,000,000 years
or so) fungi on the other hand ore very old, and not
at all related to fruit.

two totally different things. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables