Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to Raw Food Diet. I need help.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:20AM

Vegetarian for 2 years, vegan for 1. Raw foodist for 6 days.

I have read so much info and the advice seems to conflict . Initially, I thought this was diet was mostly about Raw fruits and Veggies, preferably all organic. But some people say to avoid bananas, mangos, and dates! I've been eating alot of those so I'm a bit scared.

I'm asking for some basic advice.

Also, do I need supplements??

And, what is the detox process about and how long does it last? I've had a sore throat for a few days and have been more tired than usual but no changes that I feel are extreme.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Raw Food Diet. I need help.
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:27AM

I eat bananas, mango, and, dates, and I've been all raw for nearly 7 years. If you like them, there is no reason to stop, is there?

I also don't use supplements. There are many raw foodists that do. Some only spend $10 a year on them. Others spend $200 a month on them. For me, $0 a year.

Here is an excellent article called Detoxification by David Klein.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:38AM

vegayogi,

Rather than stress about all the conflicting advice out there, have your own experience and see what does or doesn't work for you. If you like a raw food and it feels good to you to eat it, then continue to eat it even is others don't like it or say its void of nutrition.

Or, try not eating it for a while, and see if you feel better. If there is no change, there probably was nothing wrong with that food.

Feeling tired is normal at first when you are detoxing.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 14, 2008 11:20AM

A year's supply of B12 is about $3, a year's supply of D2 about $8.

Vegan DHA is expensive though, probably $1/g or more.

[I thought this was diet was mostly about Raw fruits and Veggies, ]

It is.

[preferably all organic.]

If you can afford it.

[But some people say to avoid bananas, mangos, and dates!]

I'n sure they have their reasons. But I think the only reasons to avoid such foods are intolerances or exploitation of people/resources.

Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: September 14, 2008 11:50AM

I'm afraid that I can just offer you one more opinion. I'd say avoid the pills, supplements and super foods. Eats a low fat raw vegan diet will give your body everything it needs. My recommendation for a healthy diet is better explained Here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 14, 2008 02:21PM

Ask questions and LISTEN to the long-term raw food guys...who have been walkin the walk for many years. Even if you don't agree.....at least THEIR experiences work for them.....and have some credence.

-I love all the folks who are doing positive things in their diet/lives.....but only a few people are always 100% serious and at ease with a major dietary decision (like any other major project/life change) so you cannot judge the efficacy or 'rules' of a raw food diet from the media....or even the main run of information.....or even what your own brain is interpreting. The reality will be different.

-I agree with Bryan in that I at plenty of mangos, dates, bananas. I still do. That was about 10 years ago. I haven't taken supplements in about 8 years. I think once you are relatively clean and comfortable internally...you may find they weigh you down. LOL.

-Be KIND to yourself and give yourself a generous time-frame of at least 6-12 months (2 years would be better) to make the fundamental changes that undo decades of poor eating. That kind of training is usually not readily undone in a few weeks....heh..heh. Keep your changes realistic.....and your goals SMART and CONSISTENT....and there will be no 'falling off the wagon'. How can a person fall off what they REALLY want? Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2008 02:15PM

Thanks everyone. Great Advice. Day 10 and I'm still going strong. I have yet to experience any detox symptoms that I would call severe but I guess my time will come...

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: September 17, 2008 03:20PM

Hey vegayogi,

If you were already vegetarian and then vegan, you may be coming to raw from a fairly healthy place. Your detox symptoms may have been minor and short lived. Detox can last potentially several years (every once in a while), in someone who came to raw foods with quite poor health.

Eat what you want to eat! Read as much as you can, then you can call on that information if and when you need it. There are no raw food police, and the only one who knows what works best for you, is you!

I don't take supplements, but do include a wide variety of raw foods, including lots of greens.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables