Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Trouble sleeping/strange feelings - new to raw!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2008 02:36PM

Hello everyone

I started eating raw just about a week ago. A few days later I got sick with a cold and now I am getting better. The sleep problem is not related to the cold as my symptoms are not bothering me at night and are almost gone. The last 3 nights I have not been able to sleep right. What I mean by that is that three nights ago I was so tired and exhausted that I crawled into bed at 8 pm and woke up at 3 am, wide awake. The next night I figured I will have to fight to stay awake but just started getting sleepy at around 11 am. I woke up at 6 am - which is about my normal time. When I sleep, I don't sleep well. I have strange dreams, I get up many times to pee (well I have been drinking lots of water) and it seems to be a struggle to sleep.

Otherwise during the day I feel good. I don't have the sluggish feelings anymore that I had after eating garbage all day long. I also noticed that my appetite is drastically reduced. I am ok with just water and fruit only in the morning, a salad for lunch and either salad or veggies for dinner. I am not really hungry.

I seem scatter brained a bit.

Can anyone relate to this? I was just wondering as I never had problems with sleeping and I just feel out-of-sort at times since going raw.

Thanks in advance for letting me whine!

Hugs
Sinti

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble sleeping/strange feelings - new to raw!
Date: September 17, 2008 03:19PM

Sinti,

I can relate.
I very often wake at 3am then am up for a few hrs and go back to bed.
And I can have weird dreams too.
Sometimes I go to bed feeling like I have been hit by a truck,but cant sleep.
But I feel fine during the day.

I dont know if it has anything to do with raw.But if it does,it could be in the realm of detox/withdrawl from SAD.You are only 1 week into this,so thats my gut feeling.

Brian

Date: September 17, 2008 05:55PM

Thank you for your advise Brian. Its also good to know that I am not the only one experiencing these sleep troubles. I was wondering if it might be a detox situation.

Thanks again
Sinti

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 17, 2008 07:20PM

Sleep problems are normal....as are energy ups and downs. This is normal detox. To keep it to a good level.....change your diet slowly....and regulate your own detox.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 17, 2008 08:59PM

It coould be anything, not raw related as welll

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 17, 2008 11:40PM

Sinti,

This sounds like detox, and if it is, either is should pass quickly, or if it does not pass quickly, you might want to see where elements of your current diet are contributing to new toxins entering the body.

Are you currently using condiments in your foods? Things like salt, pepper, spice, vinegars, strong herb/medicinal foods like garlic, onion, etc? These condiments are digestive stimulants, and as such to raw foodists cause stimulation and can disturb sleep.

Date: September 18, 2008 06:58PM

Thank you all for responding to my question. I have been sleeping better these past two nights. It seems like as I get tired I now just drop and sleep lol, and I am not getting up at 3 something, which is really good smiling smiley

If I may, I have one more question. I have noticed that my appetite is very low now and I am always thirtsty. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, but it seems like nothing can stop the thirst.

I noticed the same thirst when I tried the Atkins diet last year (yeah I know, bad bad idea). As my intake diminished on the Atkins I started to get really thirsty. I always figured that its because I consumed such little carbs. But now I am changing my lifestyle of eating by going raw and the same thirst reappears.

I am eating good carbs now by having fruit so I know I am not low on carbs, but the same low intake of food.

Is it possible that I have put my body in starvation mode and thirst is a side effect? I am not hungry so when I logged my food yesterday I came up to about 800 calories for the day. I dont want to starve my body. I want to be healthy and loosing weight would be a nice side effect. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for listening and your input, I really appreciate it!

Hugs
Sinti

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 18, 2008 08:31PM

Sinti:

An increased desire for water is quite normal.....as are fluctuations in appetite. Make changes slowly and comfortably. Maintain AT LEAST the same level of calories you took before changing your diet....if at all possible. Avoid nuts, alcohol, coffee, salts...and other dehydrating items if you are consuming these. Keep up a good activity level to help regulate water and excretion in your body.

-Keep up the good work!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 19, 2008 06:19AM

I have insomnia lately too, dont feel bad. My mind is a mess now, I miss being at Raw Spirit Fest...you can always PM me if you are awake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 06:20AM by suvine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables