Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw foods and no menstral cycle???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: September 19, 2008 07:09PM

Not that i am complaining...because my menstral cycle is very difficult...heavy bleeding... STRONG cramps...7 days long... but since i have been raw for 4 months now i have had no period. I had one friend say this was ok...that the body can actually absorb the egg and that this is perfectly natural occurence after being raw for a year...it seemed to happen right away for me... anyone have any experience or knowledge with this...

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw foods and no menstral cycle???
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 19, 2008 09:05PM

This is a common ladies question, and my understanding is that this it is normal to have reduced flow or no flow on an improved diet. I'm sure you'll be directed with the appropriate posts and discussion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:20AM

so soon probably indicates an imbalance of some sort. i don't personally believe that cessation of menstruation is healthy though, a lighter and easier flow sure, but no period? no.

there have been many posts on this in the past, you might want to search the archives for those discussions.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: September 20, 2008 11:03AM

Luvyuu,

My periods stopped too. I started ovulating again (almost immediately) when I supplemented with Vitamin B12. Nutritionally, VB12 comes primarily from animal sources (meat, eggs). People who grow their own vegetables can get it from good microbes in the soil provided their soil has not been depleted. Nutritional yeast is also a source. There is a current post on sources of VB12 right now. Run a search for it.

I agree that I "enjoyed" not having to deal with a period either. If you aren't having a period you probably aren't ovulating either so the body isn't absorbing eggs either. I am noticing for me that with increased Vitamin B supplementation in my diet, my cycles are getting regular and milder.

As Coco indicated, it probably means an imbalance to have cessation occur so soon. Mine happened rapidly too. It might mean that your needs for B vitamins right now are higher than for others. I am reading a book on female hormones by a local naturopath. He cannot stress enough the connection between VB12 and balancing of hormones for women.

I guess you will need to decide what is best for you and what aligns with your overall goals.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:50PM

Are you possibly underweight, that can be a cause for amenorrhea (absence of a period)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2008 08:49PM

low fat can cause it as can calorie restrition.

Posted by: paragon1685 ()
Date: September 21, 2008 12:46AM

My understanding (though I make to claim to expertise on
this subject) is that animals in Nature do not bleed during
their fertility cycles. Only humans and domesticated pets (that
eat cooked pet foods) bleed. That ought to tell us something,
if it's true.

And I once came across some Raw Food literature in which
the author said he once saw a study done on ballerinas
and their unsual proclivity to not bleed. (He reasoned that
it's not normal for women to bleed, and truly healthy and
physical fit ones do not, according to him.) Whereas, the
study on ballerinas concluded that women who do not bleed
have (for unknown reasons) a propensity to become ballerinas.
(No, I'm not making that conclusion up!)

So much for the pre-programmed, medical mindset!

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Date: September 21, 2008 01:18AM

...ok so b vitamins i will look into this... i am not growing my own food right now... so i don't have the possibility of getting it from my food and so i do take a supplement... though i am a bit concerned of it's quality... but it was the only one i could find when i was in spain and searching for something... but i will research this...

i am not underweight... though i have recently lost a lot of weight... with in the span of about 4 months... i have lost 20 ish pounds... so i have considered this as a possible reason... and to include the idea of ballerinas... my sister was a dancer and i know ballerinas have a desire to be underweight... putting it very lightly there... and have a tendency towards eating disorders... and my sister was bulimic at times... and her period was almost non existent...is this healthy... well now she is having to remove another ovary...due to cysts...and along with that a hysterectamy etc... ok is this the cause of it who knows... but i would say the accuracy of the ballerina story is that ballerinas are not the healthiest group of people to do a study like this on...

the idea though of how we are the only animal to bleed is interesting to me... something i will research... and for pre-programming... before i stopped bleeding my friend suggested to me that if i were completely raw maybe my periods would be easier and could even stop according to an author he had read... i reacted very strongly to this... and i sat with it and thought wow maybe i am pre-programmed as you say... that i have to have this... and that it has to be awful... how many women do you know that say to a little girl... or a teenager... just wait til you get your period you'll love it...

so i have been working with changing my negative attitude towards it and for it to be gone all together is sort of nice... but i do want to be sure i'm ovulating... anyone know how i can find this out... relatively uninvasively... I sort of figured it would just settle itself and all would be well...

ok well enough for now... thank you for reading...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 21, 2008 01:23AM

You might try some of the fertility tracking websites. These are designed for people to find out exactly when they are fertile to increase the odds of having a baby. You track your body temperature and mucus to see when your ovulation happens. FertilityFriend is one such website.

Date: September 21, 2008 02:00AM

ah yes... i think i sort of know how to do this... but i'll check...
thanks

love laugh and dream

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables