Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buckwheat greens are toxic
Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 28, 2008 09:09PM

This has been mentioned in the sprouting forum but not here. Here's a good article:

[www.gillesarbour.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buckwheat greens are toxic
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: September 28, 2008 09:17PM

Are Buckwheat sprouts toxic too? what about sunflower greens are they ok?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 28, 2008 11:05PM

in large amounts, I onceate 1 lb in a sitting, my eyes swelled up and were so itchy..

but they are so good I know

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2008 12:55AM

<<The basic problem with buckwheat greens is that they contain fagopyrin, a naturally occurring substance in the buckwheat plant. When ingested in sufficient quantity, fagopyrin is known to cause the skin of animals and people to become phototoxic, which is to say hypersensitive to sunlight.>>

so how much? i'm still going to eat them myself. lots of plants aren't great for you if eaten in excess, just don't eat them in excess!

to answer your question ariel <<Unlike the shoots of the buckwheat plant, buckwheat groats, or seeds, are not generally problematic because they contain only trace quantities of fagopyrin.>>

see here he says not to stop eating it altogether but makes no mention of how much is ok. he only says that daily green drinks of it are not advisable but that eating it is not the same as the damaging compound can't be chewed out in sufficient quantity to cause harm.
<<I would like to make the disclaimer that I am not advising people to stop eating buckwheat. The Latin expression dosis sola facet venenum (the dose makes the poison) attributed to the ancient Romans could be applied here. A small quantity of buckwheat greens (or buckwheat lettuce as it is often called) in an individual diet could allow for healthy nutritional benefits without the negative effects of large amounts. Buckwheat does contain a large quantity of rutin>>

buckwheat is still on my list!

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: September 29, 2008 06:26AM

Thanks for great info..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables