Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need Detox Experiences Please
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: October 05, 2008 09:47PM

Hello.

Just got lab work back on hubby and he has high uric acid (gout=metabolic arthritis). He has to go from a typical SAD diet to low protien (15% max). They want to put him on preventative meds, and he already takes chemo meds for psoriatic arthritis and we'd rather see if we can improve the blood work over the next 3 months with diet alone.

SO....he'll be getting plenty of raw fruits & veggies and cooked veggies too. and I imagine this might cause detox sysmptoms?

I just figured if I knew what some of you went though it might help, although I totally get that each person experiences this differently.
Thanks!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Detox Experiences Please
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 05, 2008 10:03PM

Your hubby would benefit from a low fat whole foods cooked vegan diet, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. 15% protein is still pretty high, a low number would be 7% or less.

My detoxes when I first went raw were very much like flu and cold symptoms.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 05, 2008 11:41PM

Yes. No need for any major detox....if he changes his diet slowly...with a goal to switch over to mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. This should facilitate great healing. I would advise doing this in no less than 30 days. As long as a person is not terminally ill or suffering an acute crisis, I recommend a slow change as easy on the body and easy on the person. There is no need for self punishment! Well...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: October 05, 2008 11:56PM

I've had terrible detox symptoms and I'm still not 100% raw but pretty close now.

The detox included the cold/flu-like symptoms and more: extreme fatigue, hair fall out, burning sensations in feet, fever like sensations in the skull wherein my skull actually got bigger, I grew taller by at least 1/4 inch, my feet got smaller & narrower, my chest got bigger, I could smell ammonia coming out of my nasal cavities from within, dizziness, spaciness, fainting, release of growths, shrinkage of at least one growth, skin break-outs, and more.

It's all worth it even though at times, it was so painful that I couldn't sleep.

I agree with the gradual transition suggestion. Health is a life long commitment. Also, sounds like your husband needs to alkalize his body by eating/drinking alkalizing foods/drinks.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: October 06, 2008 01:31AM

Should a person drink/eat these alkalizing foods before the detox, or does one inherently mean the other? Sorry if that sounds obscure, what I mean is: should I be incorporating highly alkaline foods like lemons into my diet--already mostly raw--before doing any drastic detoxing? Or will doing this lead to the detox symptoms anyway?

Date: October 06, 2008 01:35AM

He is total omni and is just today trying to deal with eating a whole new way that is not of his choosing. He has to start with cutting back on meat first and adding fresh veggies and fruit. What is alkalizing? The context of this has to be simple for him or he will not make it. I don't want to overwhelm him.

I am having him eat fruit. Eat veggies raw & cooked. Drastically reduce animal protien. Plant protien does not increase the blood levels of uric acid. I will pray and gently encourage by example vegan or raw eating.....but it is not my choice to make for him.

life101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. Also, sounds like your husband needs to alkalize his body by
> eating/drinking alkalizing foods/drinks.
>
> Good luck. Therese

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 06, 2008 01:44AM

many dead food (meat, processed foods , etc.) are acidic or can be acid forming in your body

many live food (fruits, veggies, etc.) are akalizing

on the ph scale .. your body should lean more towards the alkaline state

in the acid state you start to succumb to disease

smiling smiley

of course there are exceptions to the above but thats a general idea hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: October 06, 2008 02:13AM

ecjames, Good question. One does not necessarily mean the other. In eating raw vegan, many of the live fruits/veggies are alkalizing but not always. As Jodi stated, overall, the effect should be alkalizing. You can do a search on the internet for alkalizing foods, etc. Animal proteins are always acidic.

If you can incorporate more lemons into the water that you drink, that will assist in alkalizing your pH. To get a true reading, you will have to test your urine or saliva with pH strips.

In alkalizing the body, the body will detox. In eating raw vegan, the body will detox. Eating raw vegan does not always mean that the body will be a high alkaline level, 8.0-8.5+ pH.

Wendy, Sounds like you doing everything that you can do be supportive. Take it slowly and relax. You will learn along the way. If you husband can drink lemon water with a natural sweetner (not sugar), that will help alkalize the body faster as stated above but you won't want to overtax your husband. As Dave said, since your husband is not terminally ill, you don't have to rush. My friend was dying and he had to immediately alkalize his body with the lemon juice/water and eat only raw for weeks before he was able to eat a bit of cooked.

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: October 06, 2008 04:18PM

I don't want to rush him. But we have 3 months before another blood check to avoid more medication. I'll offer up the food and he'll eat. I offered up the suggestion of just eating more fruit when he's hungry and he said it won;t be long before he's bored w. that.

I just simplified my eating so I guess that's good, because now I think I have to do vegan recipes to keep him interested.

I guess it's a blessing in disguise because it will help his health in many ways.

Thanks all.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

I know this one
Posted by: sunstar ()
Date: October 06, 2008 05:04PM

Aloha Wendy

I know this area experientially!

I grew up in Texas and was an athlete and classical keyboard player and fine artist. My hands were getting affected from the SAD diet

I grew up on and the gout issue was not serious but would have been if I continued .

After a near death experience surfing Central america in the 60's or so I realized I had to read and study and clean out that is when I found that the raw diet worked and lots of cleansing...

I got rid of those same conditions in a few days of using oranges and grapefruit Today i would use coconut water or green-drink

Uric acid is a concentrate without hydration..

Dot be baffled by the hyper reaction to drinking water as water that many raw foodists have .

Hydration-with water not juice etc is important Imagine 50 trillion cells in your body needed to eliminate uric acid among other toxins

if there is not enough water to flush and cleanse the-blood and-system then the uric acid-crystallizes.

Dissolving these-crystals is a matter of lots of flushing g and cleansing but this can be so much fun on raw diet The less concentrated the foods and the less protein you use the-faster the cleansing I went through this and it lead to my being on-staff back in the late 60's at Hippocrates with Ann Wigmore so it got me into the raw diet which at that time Well it did not exist in mainstream.

We began the because it was logical.

Elan Sun Star
www,sunstarphoto.com
elansunstar@yahoo.com

1. [web.mac.com]
2. [web.mac.com]
3. [web.mac.com]
4. [web.mac.com]
5. [web.mac.com]
6. [web.mac.com]
7. [web.mac.com]

Posted by: Nywyn ()
Date: October 08, 2008 07:02PM

Hi! My dad just developed gout so I've been doing a of research on the topic lately. The things I've found to be really helpful are adding a BUNCH of dark purple pigmented fruits, mainly dark cherries but you could also use blueberries, blackberries, etc. I was making him eat an entire bag of cherries a day and his gout lessened within 24 hours. I also have him taking dandelion and burdock tinctures which stimulate the kidneys to excrete uric acid. You could also have him drink about an ounce of raw organic apple cider vinegar which helps to neutralize the body's acidity. And, really important, flush the body with an ample amount of water.

All of this plus a better diet should help dramatically. ^_^

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables