Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gherkins
Posted by: Aviva ()
Date: October 10, 2008 09:35PM

Sauerkraut is raw, isn't it.

What about pickles like gherkins? I know they've been cured in sugar and all kinds of ingredients but if you drain the liquid off, can they be part of a raw diet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gherkins
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: October 10, 2008 10:56PM

Aviva,

Sauerkraut may be raw. It might be cooked if in a can or jar unless it specifically states "raw" and describes how it was made.

Gherkins can be part of the transitional diet but they are not raw. Maybe you could make raw gherkins. There are devices like The Pickler and other methods to make one's own pickles.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 11, 2008 12:20PM

Opinion:

Don't get caught up in the word 'raw'. Think fresh, unprocessed fruits & vegetables and you'll be on the right track. Although not raw, if pickles or other transitional foods help you - then feel free to use them....and do not stress. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Aviva ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:33PM

Thanks for your replies. I should have refined my question as being - are they cooked?

I didn't think something pickled in vinegar in a jar would be cooked. I was just verifying that.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 11, 2008 04:18PM

i would only watch out for sodium content - the things in the jars tend to add an assload of salt to make everything taste better

so it's more about processed then cooked or anything. i would make your own so you can control the content - it would probably taste fresher and better too and not just addicting and masked by salt smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 12, 2008 02:37AM

ANYTHING put on a shelf has to be rendered enzymatically inactive.....either through heating or chemicals or both. Just CHOOSE what YOU think is healthy. If the answer is pickles....then you should definitely eat them!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 12, 2008 06:01AM

hey aviva

don't get yourself in a pickle by thinking that just cuz u drain the liquid off the contents of the liquid isn't already permeated into the pickle

but hey.. if u want it

go for it

til u find something more superior

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables