Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to Raw Foods
Posted by: fluteye ()
Date: October 17, 2008 12:57PM

Hi all--

After reading the great book, "Skinny Bitch", I am thinking of trying a raw foods diet for a couple of days. I have a Whole Foods near my house, and I was wondering what I should buy. I read a lot of articles on this great site, and it seems to me that if I buy raw nuts and seeds I have to soak (sprout) them?

Also if anyone can give me a hint on anything else to buy that would be great. I should tell you that I've been vegan for almost 3 years now.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Raw Foods
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 17, 2008 01:28PM

I LOVE that book smiling smiley I was also vegan before i read it, and it was so great to finally read such a book that confronts the person like that - and the fact they involved animal rights.

Anyway, I also discovered raw foods around when i was reading that - what a coincidence. I'm not 100% but I did that for like.. a month and it was refreshing. Thought I did an all fruit and greens diet. Now I still cook sometimes at night. Whole foods is definitely the place to go, I practically live there, haha; only because in NC there isn't much to choose from elsewhere.

You can sprout things if you want, or soak; it's really about avoiding the processed things, i think. You might be able to find sprouting or soaking charts online - is there anything in particular (type of nut or lentil) you want to soak? Start with a game plan, I would say. Plan your meals is all.

Have fun discovering smiling smiley

Re: New to Raw Foods
Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 17, 2008 02:14PM

When I started eating raw foods, it was going to be for just a weekend. I started eating more of the raw foods I was familiar with. I ate fruit for breakfast, I made nice raw salad dressings and ate huge high-calorie salads for lunch.

I would recommend not trying to make things really complicated at first. Eat the raw foods that you know, and try a new kind of fruit or veggie. Farmers markets can be the best place to get truly delicious, vibrant fruits and vegetables grown near you. Produce that is shipped a long distance is often picked unripe so that it will endure shipping and last long enough to reach you. Some of the more exotic fruits at your grocery store may be unusual in your area because they don't travel well, and as a result they may be disappointing.

After eating cooked food most of our lives, we have learned to think of the tiredness after eating as an essential part of the experience of eating. You'll feel more energetic on raw food, which is good. But, if you're not used to it, it can be easy to confuse the feeling with hunger, even if you're getting the same number of calories. If you find this is the case, you may want to have some heavier raw foods handy. Slice a whole avocado over your salad or spread some raw nut butter onto a banana.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 02:15PM by frances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables