Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question About Raw Beans
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: October 21, 2008 05:46PM

I LOVE beans. It's probably the one thing I really miss. Can I sprout beans and eat them? I don't hear much about raw beans, so I was curious wheather they are palitable or not. I was hoping for a soft bean to make raw chili. Pinto's maybe? <shrug>?

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question About Raw Beans
Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 21, 2008 05:52PM

Many beans can be great if you sprout them for a day or so, like chickpeas, or mung beans. I've repeatedly heard that raw kidney bean sprouts are poisonous, and that has made me nervous about other kinds of sprouted beans that I don't specifically know to be safe.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: October 21, 2008 05:57PM

You can sprout beans, but they then have the texture and taste of any other sprout, as opposed to a cooked bean. In general, I would say beans are a pretty great food to include in any vegetarians diet, but this IS a raw food discussion board, so I can understand if you or others are looking for a raw enzymatically active alternative.

I just think it's important to be realistic and true to your own interests. Sure there a big benefits to going all raw, but if you enjoy eating beans from time to time on top of a mostly raw diet, I would say continue doing it. There are far worse things you could be eating. Always do what works best for you in the moment :]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 21, 2008 06:01PM

Many beans and peas are sprout-able and plenty tasty...yes. The easiest and tasty-est (in my opinion) seem to be Mung, Adzuki & Lentil. A few, usually the larger ones, are bitter and CAN make some people ill. The main culprits seem to be Kidney Beans....and in some cases Soybeans or Black Beans:

[www.living-foods.com]

Here's the Wiki:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-Yes. I'm sure Pinto Beans would be fine in your raw Chili. Have fun Wendy!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2008 06:48PM

What about rice?? I'm a rice lover. The only kind of rice I've seen recommended sprouting is wild rice, which is very very expensive as well. Can regular short grain or long grain brown rice be sprouted?

I've soaked unhulled barley over night and eaten it in the morning for breakfast cereal. I like it. Does anyone else eat grains like this by just soaking it?

Date: October 21, 2008 09:29PM

The REAL test (theoretical) for whether a plant food is enzymatically active is if it will grow under good conditions. Many nuts, seeds & legumes will do so. SOME kinds of brown rice will germinate....as will SOME kinds of wild rice....thus proving their life-force...if you will. White rice will not do so...of course.

-You CAN test your source for active sprout-ability by trying to grow some:

[www.associatedcontent.com]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: October 21, 2008 09:58PM

Thanks all. I may try the mung beans. I saw them last night at the health food store and brought my daughter to see them because I thought they were cute. Hee,

David do you sprout just until the sprout cracks the hull, or grow them longer? I tried to sprout quinoa once and I let it grow too long I guess because they fermented even though I rinsed 2-3 times a day. Lentils did better.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: October 21, 2008 11:58PM

Yes. Just when the tails emerge is usually very tasty. Sunflower seeds and other sprouts CAN taste better to some when sprouted less...or allowed to grow a bit...heh...heh. Tip: Mung beans grow better/thicker with a weight on top of them while they are sprouting (a smaller bowl with 2 or 3 full cans in it is good......try it! smiling smiley

-And yeah....your Keen-wa only needs to be soaked for about an hour....and then sprouted for perhaps a day (more or less...given taste). Rinse very often and keep batches small to avoid spoilage. Have fun!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:19PM

Gabriel Cousens has a chili recipe in his book Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine that tastes dead on like chili. It does not have beans in it, but I add mung, adzuki and lentil sprouts to mine ('cuz I love 'em!).

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:32PM

I make Matt Amsden's chili from Rawvolution. It's very good and chili-tasting too, and also doesn't call for beans. I may try them sometime.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:35PM

wild rice is actually not a rice, it's a pseudo grain related to quinoa and millet --that's why it was sproutable

yeah don't sprout kidney beans- daannnger!
I've sprouted chickpeas before and it was really easy - so i'm sure you can sprout a plethora of other things

Even if you wash them/soak them they are easilier digested after cooked - and you have to do this anyway to cook them.(all people are different and some can digest certain foods easier then others - so i guess for the ones that can digest beans well then it makes it even easier for them) You be the judge and see if the sprouted ones taste the same, i guess? I've never tried any other sprouted bean other then chickpea

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 23, 2008 08:26PM

What about eating some tender green beans or haricot vert? I like them when they are young and tender and thin.

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: November 03, 2008 04:16AM

Wow... I wish I'd read this post earlier. When I first learned of sprouting beans/grains, I got so excited I tried to sprout everything in my house. (Somehow, my understanding of the scientific method has not evolved much since kindergarten!) I think I ended up sprouting black beans, green lentils, kidney beans, quinoa, and something else. I was extra excited my first day of work eating what I *knew* to be the healthiest lunch I had prepared in a while... sprout salad... only to feel EXTREMELY sick afterward. Considering how many time I've given myself food poisoning in the past 4 months, you'd think I'd learn to stop being so adventurous... (bad veggie juice in July, the sprout incident happened in September, in October I made myself sick with homemade kombucha...) All I can think of is: I wonder what November will bring!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 03, 2008 02:01PM

Many things can be sprouted but do they taste nice -- honestly? for me they don't except perhaps alfalfa. they also give me tremendous gas which makes the children laugh but is extremely uncomfortable. So I don't bother.

the longer I am raw the simpler I eat, i find. It's so easy to pick up a lovely piece of fruit - and so delicious

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables