Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Appetite & Longevity
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 31, 2008 03:42PM

I think a minimum amount of maximum quality food would be a good path to longevity and and "playing" with the appetite gets you there. Comments appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Appetite & Longevity
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 31, 2008 07:00PM

Everything I've experienced and researched about longevity and diet leads me to the same conclusions. That's why I keep experimenting with various ways of fasting and practicing calorie restriction-- not that I'm always successful! I do have a healthy appetite and live in a colder climate, so I have to really work at it. Sometimes I juice fast; sometimes I just try to eat well and practice quantum eating principles.

I think ultimately we need far less food than we are accustomed to eating; the trick seems to be to acclimate the body to less food through a slow transition consisting of fasting & cleansing and good dietary habits.

My sense is that one can eat a 'perfect' raw diet, but fail as a result of overeating.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 31, 2008 08:03PM

I find that by eating just enough I can put my appetite to rest without eating much and then wait for a slight return of hunger signal to return before eating again.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: October 31, 2008 09:40PM

Kwan, you say:
My sense is that one can eat a 'perfect' raw diet, but fail as a result of overeating.

Can you say more about this? I am very interested. What constitutes overeating, how to know? And are things different with monoeating?

WIth a grim history of overeating and digestive problems I have a hard time figuring these thigns out. Right now (after a year on the raw path) I am still cruising on the new found sensations of satiety through mono eating. But by any standard - is a whole large watermelon each morning overeating?

I am listening to my body, but often I don't understand what it is saying. Hunger may be thirst, cravings may be emotional etc.
A lot of our perceived cravings/needs are just conditioned responses, I believe, so it's a task to sort through that.

Any insights/advice?
THanks, great thread

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: October 31, 2008 10:36PM

I agree, EZ. I think it goes beyond that -- in my experience, eating less (or not at all) really opens me up spiritually, and conversely, when I binge or just don't eat like I think my body needs me to I feel spiritually stunted -- it's like the valve was tightened a bit in the flow of spiritual energy. I've recently been not caring at all about what I eat and how it affects my body (for a month or so), and I have felt out of touch spiritually. The last two days I have been easing my way back into what I know is right for my body, and I feel like it is already opening up and will do so more, the more I truly nourish and do not overburden my body. I really feel like it (especially my digestive system) needs to be treated very gently and even allowed to rest right now. I feel like if I allow that, I will be blessed in some way. I know it sounds a little airy fairy, but these are thoughts that are just coming off the top of my head.

And yes, this is a great thread!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 01, 2008 04:53AM

My experience supports everything that has been said here. When I eat little, or not at all my body and mind start to zing ! The only thing to be aware of IMO, is that the less your body has to process, the more energy it will put into cleaning up its metabolic systems. So most people you will likely experience some various forms of detoxing "sicknesses when they fast. I also agree that eating little is probably a primary key to longevity.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: November 01, 2008 06:37PM

ez,

you may be interested in cron. calorie restriction-optimum nutrition.
those people are all about longevity...some are raw as well.

Date: November 01, 2008 10:07PM

hi coconibs!
I just posted a (kind of long-winded) blurb about basically the same subject in another thread. It has this subject line:

'Any research on what live foodists die from?'

-- it's right above this thread. I think it will give you a pretty good idea where I'm going with this idea of eating less.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 02, 2008 07:50PM

I saw it, Sharrhan, and really liked what you said!
When are we going to jam?!! A raw band, imagine, that smiling smiley

Date: November 02, 2008 10:56PM

Hey cocoa_nibs--

Thanks! I thought maybe I was a little too 'out there' with my concepts, but no one seemed to mind at all.

Are you in New England? What's your instrumentation, and what kind of music? If you're in New England I'll definitely jam with you. :-)

A raw band would be the BEST!! But I haven't even met any raw foodists around the Boston area yet, let alone musicians who are into raw.

I actually decided just last night that I am determined to start a band again, in addition to doing my solo music. Something alternative and highly improvisational
-- think Dead Can Dance meets Pink Floyd meets Vangellis meets Santana meets all the best indigenous music of the world-- a kind of impossible but inriguing amalgamation of the best of rock, new age, world, blues, psychedelia, electronica and trance music, with an emphasis on world music. I'll probably post it on Craigslist.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 03, 2008 12:12AM

eating less could also effect the brain and make you feel happy because of certain depleted vitamins or minterals; like zinc for example

it's a big world with many theories

Date: November 03, 2008 12:18AM

iLIVE--
Absolutely! That's why it's really important to have a really clean digestive tract and body, and eat nutrient-dense foods with great care (while avoiding stresses and living a really balanced lifestyle) when practicing calorie restriction. Otherwise we might be talking about 'dieting' and 'anorexia', and that's going in a totally different direction.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 03, 2008 04:46AM

Hey Sharrhan I am on teh other coast, unfortunately sad smiley

Best of luck with your music and bands! Your eclectic mix sounds FABULOUS!! I am in three currently and a bunch of projects. never a dull moment.I love it. I do psychedelic rock, African music and then play in a cover band for a living.

Keep groovin!

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 03, 2008 11:35AM

How do you eat enought nutrients with not enough calories? I mean calories are an everyday thing, you use them to break down the nutrients and you use them to walk, move an arm, blink an eye, etc. How low are we talking here?

Date: November 03, 2008 09:37PM

How do you eat enought nutrients with not enough calories? I mean calories are an everyday thing,

Instead of counting calories I prefer to listen to my body. For when to eat I wait until I get a slight hunger signal and then eat some fresh raw food. For what to eat I remain receptive to suggestions from my body. This will be in the form of an urge that is transmitted at the speed of thought and will be for one specific food. When there isn't a particular food specified then I figure the body's need is for carbs to run on. If the message is for anything other then fresh raw foods then it is a craving for the dead foods I ate when I ate cooked junk. So its simple -- eat when your hungry and if the body needs something besides carbs it will convey that in a thought picture. When I eat I strive to eat enough to eliminate the hunger signal but not enough to get a full signal. That way the body gets what it needs when it needs it in just the right amount.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables