Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ripe Food
Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: November 08, 2008 02:13AM

I saw an article wrote by someone on here talking about "Ripening food." In said that a Banana was ripe when it's very brown...It then goes onto say about how other foods need to be wrinkled and everything to be ripe...

This is completely new to me. Ive always been led to believe that a fruit is ripe as soon as it becomes edible and not completely disgusting, when it's at it's most tangy and looking young.

I guess this could be conditioning and I'm willing to look into it...Has anyone got any links to articles on the subject or any experience/input they would like to add?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ripe Food
Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: November 08, 2008 05:23PM

Just go by taste, you'll soon find that what most consider "ripe" is still sour and underdeveloped, and that when you allow further ripening the fruit becomes more sweet, luscious, and appealing.

Re: Ripe Food
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: November 09, 2008 02:29PM

I wouldn't agree that all food needs to be wrinkled, but certainly most people eat some fruits before they're optimally ripe. You can tell by taste when you're biting into a banana that the starch hasn't been converted into sugar yet.

On the other hand, don't wait around for an orange to get wrinkly, because it'll be bad by the time you do. Same thing with an apple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables