Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Quinces?
Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: November 12, 2008 11:48PM

I bought and tried one for the first time today..and it was very dry with a subtle apple-like flavor, but more fragrant. Anyone eaten one of these? Are they usually that dry? I like my fruit juicy..lol, so I need to know if that one was a fluke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quinces?
Posted by: irena ()
Date: November 13, 2008 12:17AM

Yup quinces tend to be dry, tangy and very dense type of fruit. Growing up in southern Europe (where they are very common) I ate tons of them so even though I like my fruits juicy too I love quinces because they remind me of home.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 13, 2008 08:27AM

Do you just eat them raw? They always told me you couldnt eat them raw. My mother made a thing called (translating from German) quince-cheese (QUitten Kaese), which was some sort of quince puree (quinces cooked wiht loads of sugar) and then dried. It was brownish and had a hard jelly-like consistency (jelly-beanish).

I cherish the memories of these foods, yet feel no desire to eat them now.Might try a raw one, though.

Posted by: irena ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:50PM

yes they can be eaten rawsmiling smiley

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 13, 2008 02:51PM

I read that you should not consume them raw in the grocery store. Hm let me look it up.

Ok well i found a wikipedia smiling smiley
[en.wikipedia.org]

All i see is that the ones in the U.S. aren't particularly good tasting raw because they are too bitter and hard, but elsewhere they are eaten without a complaint.

so it won't kill you if you eat it raw and I guess if it tastes good, it's probably not grown in the U.S. --like irena said she ate them in Europe.

Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: November 13, 2008 06:24PM

The one I ate wasn't bitter it was firm, starchy, and crisp..just dry. I'm sure I could get used to it though..maybe I'll squeeze some lemon on it next time. I'm sure it's an acquired taste. I'm broadening my horizons since I've gone raw..so I'm going to try and taste different and new fruits. Thanks to all for your input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables