Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Introducing solid foods to infant
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 18, 2008 06:13PM

hey there, I am a mother of a 4 1/2 mo old baby girl. I only came across the raw foodist idea a little while ago, and I would like to incorporate this way of living into my life as much as possible.

I was wondering what some of you suggest to feed my infant for her first solid foods when she turns 6 mo. Most conventional data suggest rice cereal, cooked and pureed yams, sweet potatoe or carrots etc. bottome line, most suggestions are cooked veggies or processed cereals. Somehow I just think there are better options....has anyone ever applied the raw food diet to their children?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Introducing solid foods to infant
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: November 18, 2008 07:35PM

Yes, my daughter isn't 100% and never has been, but I started out with avocados, bananas, apples (I peeled a whole one and watched her while she ate it -- great for teething!), and mashed pears. As she got older, I fed her grated carrots and sprouts. Her favorite raw foods are strawberries, apples, peas, peppers, green onions and carrots. We have farmed throughout her life, so she knows and loves raw foods and will pick what she wants from the yard, including kale, radishes and onions. She eats probably 50% raw and has never eaten meat.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 19, 2008 11:41AM

I wasn't raw when my children were babies but Even so I weaned them on mashed banana, mashed avocado and soaked, pureed apricots. Then i slowly added other mashed veg. and fruit.

I think there is lots of information about raising raw children but alot of it is controvertial. There have been big debates on this forum e.g Shazzie and all her supplements.

Try looking up Storm and Jingee, they have a swarm of raw children.

do lots of research

best wishes Philippa

Posted by: liberation ()
Date: November 19, 2008 12:58PM

why the question and debate, womyn???

surely we natural living exponents and advocates get it? the O N L Y loving/caring food that humyn babies and infants are equipped to consume is, no surprise - humyn mother's (breast) milk. the mother/child breast feeding relationship is soooo important in many other ways too.

if you are not producing much...then relax, love yourself more and persevere. if you are absent, or whatever the reason/rationale, then locate another willing mother in your community/circle with milk.

nature provides all the answers, I F we choose to observe.

love and light,
c

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: November 19, 2008 04:08PM

I take care of little ones and the best foods to start introducing I have found to be avocado's, great when they don't have teeth get, Grapes, be crefull of choking, banana, dragon fruit, blueberries, raspberries & blackberries. peaches, plums, pears, citrus. Be carefull about strawberies, not supposed to offer those in the first year because of possible allergic reaction. There is this product I think it's called a nubby holder or something and it's like a little pocket of mesh that you can put food into that has a little handle you screw on and is great for teething, you can put an apple slice in it and they just chew it and it gets mashed up, coming through the mesh; I'm sure you could make one easily. Any fresh food you puree/blend yourself will be better than the canned babyfoods out there.

liberation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why the question and debate, womyn???

liberation, I don't really see any debate here, what are you refering too?

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: November 19, 2008 04:37PM

Good point, Liberation. My third child wasn't interested in eating until she was almost 1, and she was a chubby baby just with my "nummies". So definitely, if your baby isn't underweight and seems satisfied, don't worry about feeding her even at 6 months. Just see what she likes. I made baby food for all four of my kids -- very easy and yummy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2008 06:40AM

My little boy is the same age and has really become interested in my food the last few weeks so I've been researching. You'll find some great info out there on baby-led weaning websites.
Mostly I think I'm going to go with what feels natural. One day soon I'll be eating some watermelon and he'll reach out so I'll know it's time.
When parenting I try to think of what mothers were doing thousands of years ago without all of these cultural influences. A prehistoraic woman certainly was not mixing rice up and giving it to her child in a bottle! My bet is that she would walk up to a tree, grab a banana, take a bite for herself, then offer it to the baby on her hip.
Go with your instincts: every other animal does just fine doing it that way!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables