Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Distilled Water
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 18, 2008 08:14PM

I was just thinking about the benefits of drinking distilled water and I thought I would list the ones I can think of and see if anyone can think of additional benefits. Also I would like to hear reasons why someone might consider other water purification methods better.

1) Distilled water is pure water with nothing but H20 in it.

2) Distillation is a natural process and is the way nature cleans the water and the air by evaporating into clouds and then raining.

3) Distilled water is "hungry" water. By hungry I mean that it is seeking out "stuff" to attach to and so it draws out impurities from the body in the same way as Chelation therapy [en.wikipedia.org] does but less aggressively. This helps wash the body clean from the inside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distilled Water
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 18, 2008 11:08PM

I used to sell Water Distillers, and Distilled Water, in past
years. The best water, as many here have mentioned, is found
in the whole foods that we eat. I like filtered water now for food
prep, and minor drinking. Water Distillers generate a lot of heat
and use a lot of electricity. Plus, it may not be good for the
human body to drink (or eat) anything that has been 'fractured'.....WY

Date: November 19, 2008 12:35AM

The best water, as many here have mentioned, is found in the whole foods that we eat.

I agree.

I have found that additional water does three things for me that are very helpful.

First, I use pure water as a palette refresher to clear the way for other foods. Pure water is very refreshing.
Second, I enjoy warm water as a comfort thing. Some people drink tea or something else but for me its warm pure water.
Third, After eating fruit or fruit juice I like to swish some water in my mouth to wash the sugar and acids off my teeth.

I drink about a 1/2 gallon of distiller water daily in addition to the water I get in my all fresh raw food diet as there just isn't any substitute for pure H2O that works as well for me.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: November 19, 2008 01:41AM

It is my understanding too that distilled water will pull some toxins from the body but that this practice should only be utilized for brief periods.

Distilled water which has not been re-mineralized is definitely not like rain that has found its way back into an aquifer and is ready for animal consumption. Distilled water is void of minerals and therefore leaches minerals from your bones and tissues and depletes the body of important nutrients via osmosis. This is the same process that may help eliminate certain toxins.

However, many health care professionals, even conventional ones, advocate that the increase in osteoporosis and children with broken bones is due to widespread calcium deficiencies caused in great part by the drinking of distilled water, which is used to make the soft drinks, etc, that so many people regularly drink.

Distilled water is also very acidic. If one gives credence to the theory that an acidic state promotes aging and disease, then one should avoid drinking distilled water.

Unfortunately, we live in a time where our government consumer and health agencies are really there to advance the corporate propaganda of those who would profit at the expense of our health. Those who promote so-called "health products" aren't much better.

Given all that I have read, I deduce it is best to buy reverse-osmosis water, re-mineralize it with trace minerals, and then prill it to increase the PH. While I do not believe any of the hype you find published by those who sell prill beads, there is evidence that it has been used to restructure water in environmental applications. I have tested my water after prilling and it has raised the PH.

There may be negative information out there about prilling water, but I have not found any. Should anyone have any non-anecdotal information to that end, I would appreciate them posting it on this thread so I can consider it.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 19, 2008 11:35AM

Interesting post. thank you Meditating

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: November 19, 2008 10:29PM

I checked the ph of my water before and after being distilled, and distilling it did not alter the ph level.

If the minerals in our water are so great, why don't we just eat the dirt and rocks that the water flowed through to pick up the minerals? It's because our bodies use minerals from plants so much better than minerals from dirt. Starving people have cooked and eaten dirt to try to stay alive and they die because they can't use those vitamins and minerals.

Date: November 19, 2008 11:42PM

I agree that the plant needs to incorporate nutrients into the plant's structure so that they are one with the plant before they can be used by the body.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 20, 2008 01:29AM

i was always under the understanding that it (distilled water) upsets the electrolyte balance in the body ... which can cause all sorts of other problems if used for long periods of time

i dont see it as being a natural substance anymore once its been distilled ...its actually just a chemical at that point ..natural water is never found anywhere to be perfectly distilled smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2008 01:45AM

natural water is never found anywhere to be perfectly distilled

I wonder how clean the distilled water is in the clouds ? If it isn't perfectly clean is that the fault of it coming into contact with impurities in the air ? I'm sure nature is doing the best it can to have clean rain water but its not a perfect world. As you say there are impurities in the world but I'm not so sure thats makes impurities desirable, just present.

Date: November 20, 2008 02:01AM

sorry that statement was a bit broad ..

yes it would contain impurities from air ..even if humans didnt exist i am guessing it would be pickup impurities say from volcantic activity

as humans dont have access to that part/stage of the chemical reaction i dont know that it would be a better or worse water to drink at that point

what i guess i meant was that because distilled water isnt found in nature .. that it really isnt a natural product ...of course this whole argument could be blown out of the water (lol sorry no pun intended haha) as pretty much all the water on the planet is polluted to some degree and that is not what mother nature intended

certainly a topic that makes you go hmmmm smiling smiley

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 20, 2008 02:13PM

that's a cool thought; my dad wanted to get a water purifier for the sink just to cut down on waste from buying spring water by the gallons -- all that plastic!

what is the difference between spring and distilled?

I know mineral water from a well is probably the best; so i've heard. it makes sense

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: November 20, 2008 04:04PM

I have a waterwise distiller and it's supposed to look like this on the inside. But I'm lazy and I don't really clean it beyond swishing it out with water so the crud builds up and looks like that:

This is city water so you don't get the mineral build-up that you get from wellwater. I've lived in an area where there were so many minerals in the well water that your tub would quickly turn brown and we had a different kind of distller that would really get buildup fast and we had to clean it every week. But it looked the same as this picture, ucky brown. Now I'm not seeing what minerals I would want to get from this water, can anyone tell me. It looks like dirt/silt and that's what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2008 04:04PM by Lillianswan.

Date: November 20, 2008 05:02PM

I Have an under sink water filtration system that I use as a pre-filter with a separate sink faucet and it does a pretty good job of filtering. When I change the filters they come out the color of your picture above. I also distill the water after that to get some more junk out. I don't clean the distiller all that often either (once a year) in part because of the pre-filtering before distilling. When I clean the distiller it comes out in whitish colored chunks that I think are mostly lime. If consumed I think that stuff combines with cholesterol in the body to form plaque (a cement like deposit) along with other deposits throughout the body. I know that my body is doing the best it can to eliminate the junk from my body and I like to help in that effort all I can. IMO its a good thing to clean the impurities out of the water in whatever way is desired - filtering, osmosis, distilling, a natural source like spring water, foods, or any other way I might not have thought of.

Date: November 20, 2008 05:37PM

Water Type Characteristics
Artesian Water From a well in a confined aquifer
Water level in well must stand at some height above the top of the aquifer
May also be known as "artesian well water"

Distilled Water Water that has been turned into steam to leave impurities behind
Steam is condensed into pure water
Due to its purity, distilled water is used in the manufacturing of pharmaceutical and liquid dry prescriptions

Fluoridated Water Contains fluoride that is added within the limitations set by Federal Regulations
Some spring and artesian sources have naturally occurring fluoride in trace amounts

Mineral Water Must contain no less than 250 parts per million (ppm) total dissolved solids (TDS) with the solids being the minerals in the water
Must come from a geologically and physically protected underground water source
Is distinguished from other types of water by the regular mineral and trace elements present
No minerals may be added to this water

Purified Water Produced by distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis or other suitable processes that meet the legal definition of "purified water"
May also be known as "demineralized water"

Sparkling Water Contains, after treatment and possible replacement of carbon dioxide, the same amount of carbon dioxide that it had at emergence from the source
Soda water, seltzer water and tonic water are not considered bottled waters. They are regulated separately and considered soft drinks

Spring Water Must come from underground formation and flow naturally to the surface of the earth
Emanates from beneath the earth, from under strata that formed in prehistoric times
Must be collected at the spring or through a bore hole tapping the underground formation finding the spring

Sterile Water Must meet the requirements under "Sterility Tests" in the United States PharMacPPCopoeia
May also be known as "sterilized water."

Well Water Comes from a hole that is bored, drilled or otherwise constructed in the ground, tapping the water of an aquifer

Date: November 20, 2008 05:38PM

Posted by: Meditating, Date: November 18

Distilled water is void of minerals and therefore leaches minerals from your bones and tissues and depletes the body of important nutrients

IMO pure water does not leach minerals from my bones and tissues. I have confidence in my body's wisdom that when I drink pure water it does not dissolve my body. If that were the case I would be dissolving daily when I bathe or shower and I am still here in spite of many long baths and steam baths. Once my body has incorporated nutrients into my body so that the nutrients become a part of my body they are there to stay for as long as the body wants them or an injury occurs. I think the impurities that get pulled or washed out of the body are substances like the stuff that can be found in the spaces between the cells where junk collects.

Date: November 20, 2008 07:00PM

its pretty much hard to find out the truth either way .. the internet has 1000's of arguments for and against distilled water .. even if you cut out information that is provided by sources that have an agenda (ie: to sell you a distiller or to sell you re-mineralization potions) ..you end up with data that is influenced by whoever is funding the scientists lol

so i guess all you can do is do whats right for you smiling smiley if it stops working for you at some point then you change course

im not even sure how you would do a controlled study/test on this

Date: November 20, 2008 07:22PM

so i guess all you can do is do whats right for you

I agree.
Everybody has to make their own decisions about water and their health. My decision has worked well for me to date. I base my decision on wanting whats best for my body and if my data base changes I will change course accordingly. I feel that pure water is better then water that has impurities in it or minerals in it that have not been chelated by a plant. I also trust the innate wisdom of my body to protect my body from exposure by use of cell walls, etc to anything that might hurt it or leach cell components from my cells.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 20, 2008 09:24PM

I find I dont like the taste of any water except distilled water anymore.

Date: November 23, 2008 03:50AM

I got myself a distiller when I started reading about all the pharmaceuticals that are found in water supplies.
I had a water alkalinizer before that but they don't take out the drug residue and they waste a lot of water.
I'm totally happy with the distiller and I magnetize the water in a pitcher and add a splash of trace minerals back in the water before drinking.

Date: November 23, 2008 03:30PM

Very interesting.
How do you magnetize the water?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables