Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green smothie ughhhhhhh
Posted by: Jake6 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 03:04PM

I just started the raw food diet last wednesday. I have been mostly on fruits with a simple salad most nights. I like fruits, but I have never enjoyed green stuff. Never liked salads, or broccoli, or just about anything green. I disliked the salads so much I figured I would just try a green smoothie and try to get it down quick. I used spinach, celery, 1 pear and had to squeeze a lemon in it after I tasted it. This was probably one of the one of the worst tasting things I have ever experienced. I had to fight to keep it from coming back up as I swallowed it. It was as thick as a milkshake, think I need to thin this down, that was my first mistake. I am reading the Live food Factor and so determined to do this thing. I would actually like to do the green smoothie fast, but have to overcome this dislike of green foods. I was not sick when I started this, could stand to loose a few pounds, but the main thing I wanted was the spiritual side of this diet. That is the most important aspect of this to me. The other stuff is just icing on the cake. Anyone got any insights on the green smoothie.
Oh yea, I have seen info on sprouts. Can you do wheat sprouts and just eat them?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green smothie ughhhhhhh
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: November 24, 2008 03:52PM

That smoothie would make me gag also.

Try a banana or two and a handful of romaine and experiment with enough desired water and build from there.

In addition, a high powered blender makes a huge difference over the common store bought blenders.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:40PM

Do you have to have a green smoothie.? I never have them. I eat fruit all day and a huge salad at night. Given that you don't like greens very much don't force them upon yourself. You may well find that your tastes slowly change and that things that used to taste nice don't any more and vice versa.

go slowly and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.

best wishes

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: November 24, 2008 06:18PM

your taste buds are still being purified.

i would bet if you tried the same recipe in 2 weeks it will be
more welcome, even without bananas.

in the meantime, def bananas will help

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 24, 2008 06:44PM

i don't know if your taste buds are being purified or if they're just resistant to gross things. haha; that doesn't sound like a great thing to eat

try just eating a whole bunch of different kinds of lettuce perhaps; that's what i do

or a really nice combo is oranges and spinach..it's the only one i really like that is a dark leafy green. Also, how much fruit you add will also make a difference - bananas make it really sweet, water thins it down. either way, i could never really stick with the green smoothies. i end up just putting a head of lettuce in a bowl, covering it with blended fruit (strawberries, orange and mango, perhaps) and then adding more fruit to that, and perhaps you could add some vegetables like red pepper or summer squash even. if you want to go through getting used to the taste be my guest, but hey, i did not like most of the green smoothies i made..haha.. i'm definitely more of a fruit person. and lettuce is fine smiling smiley but if i eat something gross, i am just completely un motivated for the day. it's got to be yum.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 24, 2008 07:35PM

yes, I second that, iLIVE

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: November 24, 2008 09:27PM

my green smoothie consists of a handful or 2 of organic baby spinach, a banana, and frozen fruit like blueberries or raspberries or blackberries, dark cherries, pineapple, peaches or mango...whatever i have on hand fruitwise. baby spinach is very easy to mask flavor wise and my 9 year olds friend begs for a smoothie when she comes over.
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2008 11:59PM

Jake6,
I would try using mostly fruit in your smoothy,then adding in some of whatever lettuce or spinach you can.
I sure would like to hear more about your thoughts on wanting the spiritual side of the raw diet.
I too think its a spiritual connection.
Like giving your body only living foods,and denying the SAD which only serves the taste buds,and that opening up the door to a higher self.

Brian

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 25, 2008 12:32AM

You might try fresh green juice, like carrot, celery, and spinach. I like to make green smoothies in my blender with some juice of my choice or an orange and some water, then add in a handful of spinach, a banana, blueberries, and a mango.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:15AM

although i have smoothies sometimes,
better imo to eat food whole and alone

benefits:
.ability to detect high and low quality foods
.digestion
.ability to determine when to stop eating

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:42AM

my first green smoothie ended up on the wall as a green stain smiling smiley i used wheatgrass juice in it and very little fruit lol ..

i switched too all fruit smoothies slowly mixing in greens till i aquired a taste and found out what blends i liked smiling smiley

i can feel your pain in your first experiments tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:52AM

My perfect smoothie: 1 head of romaine lettuce and 2 bananas. Romaine is one of the least bitter greens out there, so really it ends up just tasting like a banana shake. Yay!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables