Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cooked veggieburger and bread cravings
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: November 25, 2008 12:43AM

I have been fully raw for one week now (done it on and off the past year).

The cravings are hitting me terribly bad now. I can't stand dehydrated flax seed bread...the flax seeds feel slimy and gross when I chew them. And onion is too potent when dehydrated. Most substitute recipes I've seen for veggie burgers and bread contin these ingredients. I'm pregnant and MUST finish out my last month all raw. I know it's good for me. I made cooked food for others today,and it was unavoidable, that is what spawned this.

Anyone else have tips for dealing with these cravings? GOOD recipes? Something unexpected to take my cravings away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cooked veggieburger and bread cravings
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:16AM

You should probably do a raw green soup or something with greens, first.

And then if that doesn't help, nori with sprouts or some other seaweed and sprouts.

Maybe use nutritional yeast or do a sublingual b12.

Or do something festive and colorful (think lettuce and tomato on a veggieburger) and do a leaf lettuce wrap with pico de gallo, guacamole, yellow pepper, corn, zucchini, maybe even a cheese sauce. Not the best if you're into food combining or eating simply, but might help your craving.

Sometimes it also helps to eat things with your hands, so wraps are good for that. Some days I just chop a pineapple up log-style and eat the logs with my hands because there's something satisfying about it. Or I'll just shove loads of sprouts in my mouth. Fun times!

Most of all, enjoy life and your pregnancy.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:17AM

eat fruit ?

cravings may be only reinforced with substitutes

Date: November 25, 2008 02:07AM

mmmm...I'm munching on a sheet of raw dry nori right now. Great suggestion! Any more?

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: November 25, 2008 02:17AM

I second that eat more ripe fruit and your cravings will go away .

Cherimoya,
Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 25, 2008 02:36AM

You can also try marinating and eating various mushrooms - like portabello - if this is helpful to you. The firmer texture can be important to a transitioning raw food person. Just a suggestion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: November 25, 2008 02:37AM

I've tried the mushrooms and love em, but got sick of them for a time...

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: November 25, 2008 05:34PM

Try making sprouted buckwheat "bread". It doesn't taste flax-y even if some recipes use the flax seeds to bind it together. I'd also make a dehydrated veggie burger recipe and eliminate the onions. You can also take your favorite pate recipe and dehydrate it into patties. My mother can't eat onions so I've learned how to be resourceful in preparing dishes without using any, and the recipes will still stand up well without it.

You might also want to go in a totally different direction than burgers and make some dehydrated raw falafel balls with tahini sauce.

Butternut squash crackers are a good sub for "bread" too. They don't use any flax, just veggies and pumpkin seeds.

PEACE

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 25, 2008 06:00PM

When I went all raw I joined a 30 day challenge (Aug 1, 07) and stopped eating any cooked foods. The ticket for me was to do mostly fresh made juices and some other fresh raw food. About 70% of my diet was juice for the first month. After that I started to bring in more fresh fruits and veggies knowing that I could go back to the mostly juice diet if I needed to but I didn't need to so I just moved on to a smorgasbord of fresh raw foods. I hope you find what works for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables