Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soaking Hulled sunflower seeds
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 01, 2008 01:16AM

the coverings come off, slimy thngs, and they are dead and stink up the batch.

How to get rid of them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soaking Hulled sunflower seeds
Posted by: annex ()
Date: December 02, 2008 02:23AM

I've never tried it, but I remember hearing someone say they use a salad spinner.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 02, 2008 05:36AM

Maybe try soaking sunflower seeds that have the hulls already off. They're still good living seeds (since they do sprout), but some batches in the bin are kind of broken up and not such good quality. Good quality organic sunflowers seed without the hulls shouldn't be too hard to find though. I eat them soaked almost everyday.

Date: December 03, 2008 02:07AM

NO I am not talking about the HULLS guys, this is hulled I am talking bout. Even when you soak them these tiny covers slip off, anyone know what that is called?

Date: December 03, 2008 04:18AM

If those tiny covers are stinking up the whole batch, maybe you're soaking them too long without rinsing them?

Are you just soaking, or are you soaking and sprouting?

If you're sprouting, are you leaving the jar upside down to let the seeds completely drain after you rinse them? Are you rinsing often enough?

What you're describing shouldn't be happening. There are several different varieties of sunflower seeds though. Maybe look for another source.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: December 03, 2008 04:58AM

I know exactly what you are talking about.

when growing the sprout into a sunflower green the initial casing comes off the sprout and does indeed smell

I've tried a couple of methods. non are all that successful. I was hoping on someone else chiming in

towards the end of sprouting I switch from the jar to a salad spinner and pick out the greens by hand and put them back in the jar for a day or two.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 03, 2008 05:06AM

suvine Wrote:
Even when you soak them
> these tiny covers slip off, anyone know what that
> is called?

I guess the outer covering of the seed would be called the bran. Although that's usually used to refer to wheat, I believe the same anotomical naming would apply to any other seed.

Date: December 03, 2008 05:46AM

OK, are we referring to sunflower sprouts/greens then?

I usually just soak my seeds for 4 - 10 hours, pour out the water and eat them. I really like them at that stage.

Date: December 04, 2008 02:10AM

yes but tiny clear coverings come off, what do you do with those

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 04, 2008 04:33AM

Suv, I haven't sprouted sunflower in a while but I remember putting them in a pot with water, swishing my hand around them, and letting the coats rise to the top, then just skimming them off. It's probably the inner integument/outer palisade layer.

Your question had me going to websites looking at seedling anatomy, there are some fab slides of Lepidium sativum stained with toluidine blue (around the bottom of the upper third of the page).

[www.seedbiology.de]

There's another universe under the microscope, and it's breathtakingly beautiful.

Date: December 04, 2008 05:38AM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes but tiny clear coverings come off, what do you
> do with those

Suvine, if you're asking me, I guess I just eat them. I never noticed any unappealing smell. Maybe I just like the rejuvelac-kine smell or whatever. Anyway, they haven't killed me yet.

How long do you usually soak your seeds for?

(Your pictures are so FUNNY!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 05:40AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables