Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

continuing the subject of vitamin supplements
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 01, 2008 10:05AM

The Vegan Society in England produce a vegan multivitamin called veg 1.

It includes the following:

Selenomethione (Selenium - 60ug)
Ergocalciferol Preperation (D2 - 10ug)
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6 - 2mg)
Magnesium Stearate
Riboflavin (B2 - 1.6mg)
PVP
Folacin (Folic acid - 200ug)
Potassium Iodine (Iodine - 150ug)
Cyanocobalamin (B12 - 10ug)

It also includes sugar, dextrose and acacia and blackcurrant flavour.

I would like to have informed opinion about the components of this supplement. It seems a shame that the vegan society promote a pill that has sugar in it but I suppose it's to make it palatable as it is a chewable pill.

I do not take this supplement - I am merely requesting your opinions as my attention has been drawn to it by a friend and I do not feel qualified to answer her questions.

Many thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: continuing the subject of vitamin supplements
Posted by: liberation ()
Date: December 01, 2008 12:05PM

it may be "vegan", (but, industrial volume processed sugar is often bleached using charred cow bones - yes still!), and may be recommended by the venerable "vegan society", however, one cannot supplement oneself from nutritional imbalance into wellbeing, indeed using such denatured substances will compund one's health status.

again i generally observe, vegans are most often first guided ny compassion, and raw foodists by health, and a very few, such as you and i, seek to consider both paths and combine the best aspects of each...

if you or your comrade seek nutritional guidance, i encourage taking a look at wild nature, and recognizing the vital importance of the freshness factor, as well as the raw criteria...

cheery bye...

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 01, 2008 12:47PM

They prepared it with the vegan trouble spots in mind. Except that they didn't include zinc, there probably isn't enough D in it, and they didn't use the better type of B12.

But on the plus side:
1.it's purely vegan
2.if you buy it you will be supporting a decent organization.
3.I would not be concerned with the sugar, it's only a trace amount, much less than 1 g.
4. it doesn't have all the other stuff you don't need that is typical in multis and are probably getting plenty of from your actual food sources

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 01, 2008 12:50PM

Thank you Arugula. I wonder why they didn't include zinc. In your opinion should one supplement zinc?

Date: December 01, 2008 08:56PM

[ In your opinion should one supplement zinc?]

No, but I think it is prudent to try to get enough from food.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: December 02, 2008 03:12AM

I notice the B12 source is inferior as well. Besides it's best to get B12 sublingually, anyway.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 02, 2008 07:14AM

Vitamin D2 is also less bioavailable than D3, but I suppose D3 isn't entirely vegan as I believe it is synthesized from sheep wool.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: December 02, 2008 08:28AM

Also it has got the exipient magnesium stearate which destroys t cells (primary immune function. I won't touch any supplement that has magnesium stearate in, so that is about 99.9% of supplements in the UK

[www.qnlabs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 08:28AM by Ariel55.

Date: December 02, 2008 11:11AM

Ariel this difference between a poison and a cure is the dose.

Magnesium stearate in quantities found in pills and tablets is not harmful.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 02, 2008 03:57PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [ In your opinion should one supplement zinc?]
>
> No, but I think it is prudent to try to get enough
> from food.

This is almost impossible as a raw vegan though, no?

Next summer when I plant my garden I'm going to crush up some zinc capsuls & mix them into the soil where I grow my crops?

Can stuff like lettuce & tomatoes absorb much of it?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: December 02, 2008 04:11PM

No, there's zinc in raw vegan food. Haven't you ever seen a chart or read Becomign Vegan or did Fitday?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 02, 2008 04:25PM

the WHO recommendations for adult females with the addition of 50% factor (2 standard deviations)

is 3 mg. (high bioavailability)

that's easy to get on a decent diet, and that is highly inflated, since the baseline recommendation by WHO is really 43 micrograms per kilogram bodyweight, which is infinitesimal.

maybe you're getting TOO much zinc !

why is it always worries about deficiency?

focus on food, not nutrients, imo.

seems so many people focus on details, while perhaps not looking at the big picture and optimizing diet on a macro scale.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:23PM

umm...diet is composed of nutrients; most "detox" symptoms are usually deficiencies..

There is a reason why people discovered vitamins and minerals, calories, and carbs/fat/protein I'm pretty sure.

I find to often people forget how easy it is to be deficient in something, especially calories, as most of the people that describe how they feel when they switch to raw is the effect of the metabolism in starvation mode. Or, perhaps not enough of a certain nutrient.

You should see both details AND the big picture, I feel, just like an artist paints a picture. Neither outweighs the other, but are equally as important (lets say a life-like painter to be clear)

if you feel bad, it's most likely some sort of deficiency or calorie mess up; if it's your diet, which it probably is, that is causing a problem. (a general note - not directed towards anyone)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:59PM

focus on food, not nutrients, imo.
The whole point of food is nutrients.

That and taste.

I've never heard about a vegan getting too much zinc.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 04, 2008 11:57PM

It's pretty difficult to overdose on any single nutrient when you are getting it from a food. Especially zinc.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: December 05, 2008 08:41AM

arugula

I'm just posting the research found on Magnesium stearate, for information purposes,although the studies are done with larger quantities than in one tablet obviously. It destroys t cells. Even in tiny amounts it is harmful because the body does not recognise it or metabolise it so it just builds up and taking supplement with MS in over a period of time means the poison builds up.

Some people take lots and lots of supplements making it even more harmful

If you think it is safe go ahead. I wouldn't touch it. I would prefer to not take the risk and get one with out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 08:44AM by Ariel55.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 05, 2008 08:51AM

Why not get your nutrients naturally from food ?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 05, 2008 07:56PM

Hi flipperjan

I'm 100% raw (coming up to two years) and 'almost' vegan ('vegetarian' diet elements perhaps every six weeks or so).

I take no supplements, am in excellent health, and, like EZ Rider, suggest you obtain your nutrients from raw food.

If anyone's interested in arguments 'against' supplements, there are a few here:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables