Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sauerkraut
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: December 05, 2008 05:27PM

Hi there... I have just started making my own raw sauerkraut and i love it...
can someone talk to me about the goodness of Sauerkraut and can you eat too much...

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sauerkraut
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 05, 2008 06:32PM

how do you make it? I want to try

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2008 05:30AM

Funny you bring this up. I found an old jar of kraut I made at my parent's house in 2007 (around Thanksgiving) and opened it & it tasted & smelled great!! smiling smiley

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 06, 2008 02:51PM

haha! 2007

good story

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 08, 2008 10:00PM

take a juicer with the blank plate and crush cabbage, then cover with leaves and set aside for 3 days

Date: December 09, 2008 04:58AM

I cut mine by hand...and then use a highly mineralized salt and massage it into the cabbage... using other veggies is nice to... i did carrots and broccoli once... cover it trying to create a nice seal around the sided with the extra cabbage leaves...best in an air tight container...or as air tight as you can get it... i let mine sit for 7 8 9 10 days... if there's mold don't worry just take off the top layer and enjoy...

love laugh and dream

Date: December 10, 2008 01:27AM

I use a food processor sometimes with ginger and cabbage

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 10, 2008 03:37AM

Luvyuu,
I have been thinking of making my own sauerkraut, I actually want to try using dandelions or perhaps bittercress...gosh I realized today that they are coming up, and I have lots and lots of them.

What about having the wrong things growing in the ferment? Like botulism from having a sealed container? Its something that I have never done before, and I don't want to get sick or have problems. Thank you for taking the question, and being patient with my paranoia on such things, they probably are much too blown out..

Date: December 10, 2008 04:26AM

yummy that sounds like it would be great i wish i had greens growing up around me...but alas i am sunk deep in snow... but i could probably find the ginger suvine suggested...

hmmm i hadn't thought about botulism... though i don't seal mine to perfect though the last batch i did better... no mold on top i have jars that don't have perfect fitting tops... and so i wrap them as tight as i can with plastic... everywhere i've read... has said not to worry about the mold on top... just scrape it away and enjoy... be sure to put your cabbage leaves on top and weight it down i think the juicer the better... atleast for my taste...

many blessing on your sauerkraut adventures...

Date: December 10, 2008 04:35AM

luvyuu,
I am paranoid about such things as botulism, but I think I have heard that the salt keeps things the way that they should. I think the important thing to ask is have you had any problems? Has anyone had any problems? I think that perhaps my fear is unfounded, I don't think anyone would suggest a recipe that wasn't safe, I just sometimes worry that I have overlooked some important step or incredient.

I can't wait to try! I may do a cold ferment outside, as it is getting down into the 30's at night here, and maybe in the 40's during the day. It might take longer, but I have heard a longer, slower ferment time yields a 'brighter' taste.
thank you!

Date: December 10, 2008 05:07AM

I think you are right about the salt... but be careful not to put too much... i did on my first batch... and it was SALTY... and i like salt... so when i say that you know it's too much... though i was able to eat it... my second and third batches i was a bit more careful... i would say if you are worried... do more research... i know you have to worry about botulism with canning... but there i'm not keeping mine around long enough to can... i gobble it up pretty quickly... so ...i haven't had any problems...

I haven't heard of the cold ferment... i thought you needed the warmth to form the friendly bacteria... i'll look into it... but it's too cold here for that anyway... it does taste better after the 7-10 days and a day in the fridge...

mmm i could eat it all day long... that's my wonder is if you can eat too much...

blessings

Date: December 10, 2008 06:35AM

Luvyu,
After doing a little more research, most sites say that a sealed container is essential for the production of lactic acid. The cabbage must be submerged in brine.I was suprised to learn that the FDA requires commercial sauerkraut to be pasteurized.

I'm wrong about the temps, it wasn't as cool as I thought.

"Bacteria, proper temperature and time do the rest of the work. Lactic acid bacteria have definite temperature preferences. At 70 to 75 F, the kraut will be fermented in about three or four weeks. At 60 to 65 F, fermentation takes longer—about five or six weeks. If it gets much cooler, fermentation won't occur. Above 75 F, the kraut may become soft. "

I am wondering if other types of kraut would work, it sounds like there has to be a little bit of natural sugar in the leaf. Dandelion may not have enough.

Date: December 11, 2008 12:55AM

I just posted a blog of h0ow to make sauerkraut

[suvine.com]

good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables