Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating before sleeping
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 14, 2008 10:34AM

I have heard some raw foodists say that they don't like to eat before going to bed. I would like to hear some opinions about that.
My opinion is that eating before sleep is a good idea. The body is at rest in sleep and therefore is able to put energy into digestion. I don't usually eat just before bed but then I don't go to bed hungry either. How about you ? I think there is even a nutrient in food (tryptophan ?) that puts a person to sleep. I wonder if animals in the wild eat before sleeping ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating before sleeping
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 14, 2008 12:01PM

some nutritionists say you will gain weight if you don't eat at least an hour and a half before you fall asleep, because the metabolism will slow down or something

i know animals do fall asleep because usually they would eat a looott more then us; you get tired when your stomach is extremely full and you have to digest a lot - hence getting tired after thanksgiving (it's not because of the tryptophan in turkey).

i think if you were to eat a huge amount of caloric dense foods and get full from that and THEN fall asleep, it probably wouldn't be good for your weight

but it may be different weight-wise if you eat a lot of fiber and whole, raw foods, because it takes a lot to digest fiber..which is less calories, and if you get tired, you get tired.

but considering what our early ancestors may have done, I don't quite know. I know some other cultures will have a huuuugee meal (but this would be caloric-dense; and meaty usually) and then crash right after.

just a few little ideas

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: December 14, 2008 02:57PM

I sleep better if I don't eat right before bed.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 14, 2008 03:57PM

I followed this regime for some time, and although there are no dramatic differences....I certainly think it is easier to control weight.......and limit digestion problems.......and sleep is more restful when practicing this. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 14, 2008 04:45PM

I agree with the idea that your body has the energy during the night to digest food,according to your bodys natural cycles.
But I have read that eating after about 8pm will hamper the process.
I myself have late night munchies,and have for my whole adult life.I guess its just WHAT you eat before bed thats the crucial matter.

Brian

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 14, 2008 06:02PM

Things tend to taste better at night, that's probably why you may get hungry at night. Fatigue can also be confused for hunger.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 14, 2008 11:36PM

I don't like to have anything oil-rich in my stomach when I go to bed, especially avocado. It can disturb my sleep. I think rich foods like avocado, nuts and seeds are better eaten earlier in the day. You don't really need them for active energy when you're sleeping.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 15, 2008 12:03AM

The way I see it is that the body needs energy during the day and so foods high in carbs are a good choice to provide that. Foods like melon and fruits are high in carbs. Then late in the day heavier foods that provide more minerals, protein, and fats are good choices. If the heavier and longer digesting foods arn't out of the stomach when bedtime arrives I think its OK to let the digestion work proceed while sleeping. I'm not so sure that science agrees with me on this ? But which is more important - being in accord with science or in tune with your body ?

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: December 15, 2008 12:12AM

My understanding is that night time is a time for resting, dreaming, and bodily repair, as well as a doing a little extra detoxification . Resting means reduced metabolism. To force the body to work digesting food during this time is therefore counter-productive.
My understanding is that if one eats proper meals during the day the habit of snacking can be overcome, particularly in the evening.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 15, 2008 02:24AM

Yes I agree with you all.

When I eat late at night, I wake up dehydrated sometimes and with bad stomach feeling in the morning and awful breath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables