Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw for the rich??
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: December 18, 2008 05:15AM

Ya know ... I've been strugging a bit lately trying to stay raw... with depression... possible eating disorder... and so i think maybe i will find myself a program to go to... somewhere where i can be around other like minded people ... where i can learn...

and i tell you as i start my search... i really see how this new age health movement is all about healing for the rich... and it's frustrating... sure you can find the occasional work exchange... and I would prefer that... I like to work... but man... sometimes you just want some healing... and so many of these places tout the spiritual horn... but as i recall in my spiritual studies...and my brain might be a little fuzzy here... but I don't remember Jesus asking for any money when he taught and preformed healing for people... how about buddha...Ghandi... the Dali lama...

Now i do understand that things cost money... and that money is a form of energy... and energy should be exchanged for energy... and I respect the healing work that people do... but is charging SO MUCH really lifting us up to a higher conciousness... is it really setting us up for a better more self sustainable life style... or society... ???

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw for the rich??
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 18, 2008 05:34AM

Your concern is valid....and has always been around. The complaint has always been there that various spiritual/religious people and organizations charge for their services. There are those healers that make solely make their living on healing.....or health/spiritual guidance.

-My personal opinion is that any healer worth his salt will find a way for those that cannot pay high rates to gain some access to health modalities. If those individuals or groups cannot or will not help you...than move on to those that will...at rates that you CAN afford. It IS up to YOU...however...to adequately express and communicate your need.

-I think you will also find healers and spiritual folks that do NOT charge large amounts....or at all. I, myself, do not charge for any of the guidance/service work I have ever done. Just my thing.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 18, 2008 06:25AM

I am not a rich person either but fortunately I have found that a person dosn't have to be rich to do raw and receive the health benefits that come from eating live foods. The simpler a person does this lifestyle the better it works. However it does require taking responsibility and doing the work. Taking responsibility is the hard part because it means that you have to rely on yourself to do research and make decisions rather then putting them off on someone else to tell you what to do and when to do it. It comes down to a matter of taking personal responsibility but thats good news because I know that no one is as interested in my health as I am. Doing the work is more a matter of getting up to start a new day doing the things that make up this lifestyle like eating raw foods and doing some exercise like taking a walk. I have found that the simpler I make this the better it works. Its not about money its about persevering in doing the raw food lifestyle. I started all fresh raw on Aug 1, 07 and since then I have learned and continue to learn as I go. My teachers are first my body (my coach), second this board and the thinking that has happened for me here as I read and post - where people are sharing their experiences and opinions, and third some additional reading. This additional reading has come from links that people have posted and from the public library in my hometown. Also from YouTube, usually also from links given in posts. So for me raw hasn't been about money its been about learning, thinking, and doing. The results I have gotten so far have been amazing and I know I am a fresh raw food eater for the rest of my life. I don't buy expensive super foods or supplements that come in containers but rather I buy the foods that I find in the produce department or farmers market and come with peels, husks, skins, shells, etc on them. Its not the food in your life that matters but the life in your food that counts.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 18, 2008 10:16AM

being around like minded people is free

and this is free www.thework.com

and eating foods that you enjoy that are fresh and raw like ez rider said gets cheaper over time as you learn to find free food growing and buying by the case, etc

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2008 02:05PM

luvyuu,
Not sure exactly what you are referring to being so expensive.A program?
I do know that eating raw,and shopping just the produce section in my supermarket,is about the cheapest way to eat.Then again,I am in Pa USA,and things might be quite different in other parts of the world.
I would just educate yourself as much as possible,and hit that produce sectionsmiling smiley

brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 02:06PM by Raw1228.

Date: December 19, 2008 12:14AM

Yes i know this is all true... though i will have to say produce may be cheap... but not organic produce...and to forage my own here is impossible as it snows about every other day.... but it's not about the money...or even the food i suppose... my moods have been absolutely roller coaster ish... and when i try to admit to myself that i'd like a little help in dealing with my emotions... i come up to all these people asking for all this money.... and it frustrates me... it's not easy to ask for help you know...

sure i can go to a clinic... but will they understand my goal of raw foods...while battling with a possilbe eating disorder...lol... my hope was to go to some retreat to help lift me out of my hole and place me on a less destructive path... to learn more... though i know the truth is that i can only help myself... that no one out there cares as much about me as me... but sometimes we have those days when we could use a little support...and guidance...when were down... so i guess all i can do is pray for it...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 19, 2008 12:21AM

You value things that are more expensive.

Yes I hate paying 180 dollars for a massage by a guy.

But I do it.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 01:01AM

Is there something you need that you don't have?

A suggestion:

[www.dhamma.org]

Wishing you all the best...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 19, 2008 02:24AM

i do alot of massage, reflexology, aromatherapy and shiatsu for some folks i know on a trade basis ..everyone has something to offer ..be it an item im looking for or trade for other work (yardwork, painting, repairs etc etc.) .. perhaps look at your own skills if you dont have the money to pay for some of this stuff.. look on craigs list, post an ad in the free or barter section and see what comes of it. i have never charged anyone 180 for a massage which is one of the reasons i refuse to work at spas (they have huge costs to cover usually therefore charge high prices)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: December 19, 2008 02:51AM

Luvyuu,

I totally can relate to what you're saying. My daughter has a lot of health concerns and I don't have health insurance. I can't help but feel that it should be every person's god given right to have free health care. It's not treatment that I seek for my daughter, as much as we need lab work and testing.

I would love to send her to a wellness clinic. I wish there were grants for these things so my daughter could attend The Tree Of Life Wellness Center or somewhere similar where they take a natural approach to healing.

Sometimes, I get a little down because of the unfairness that she should have all these problems at her age. And it's not easy trying to provide all the healing foods she needs in this crappy economy.

What I'm trying to say is, "yes, it can get you down." Thankfully, I'm UP more than I am DOWN. The more raw I stay, the less depressed I get and the better I can cope with these stressors.

Hang in there. Feel free to message me anytime you just want to "shoot the breeze" with someone who understands.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: December 19, 2008 03:51AM

luv,

you sound like a kind soul
if you lived in my town i'd ask you over to share some healing yoga
and a big bowl of raw pumpkin soup

keep moving forward
even if you have to stand still for awhile

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 19, 2008 04:32AM

Today I got an e-mail from a local raw food coach, selling a 'package deal'-- a series of weekend events that include everything from dark field analysis of your blood to Hippocrates DVDs -- for $425. She seems to have thrown in everything except the proverbial kitchen sink, lol! I just sigh and delete. I can't afford stuff like that. But that's not even it: I also don't need it or want it. This woman runs a local raw food group, has website where she offers holistic services of various kinds, and also sells a lot of other products, including jewelry. I've talked to her on the phone and she's very demanding and pushy. I don't like the whole vibe, and the big money involved, but I also realize she probably helps a lot of people and brings a lot of people to the raw food lifestyle.

So it's not for me, but it's okay. I can just hit 'delete.'

:-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 19, 2008 06:09AM

You are all very kind... thank you...

i don't know how to answer the question..."what do you need?" I guess I WANT someone to answer that for me. I have just gotten myself a bit mixed up... the things i need i don't want and the things i want i don't need... i do notice that when i am eating cooked foods i tend to be more depressed... but do i eat it because i'm depressed or am i depressed because i eat it...

sometimes i really want to just be "Normal" what ever that really means... to make a meal with family or friends and to all sit down together to enjoy it...not have to make my own seperate side thing...and to have those people support me... but i know now that i feel better the way i'm eating...i think... but i'm still depressed...i am a singer that is losing her voice... i feel weak sometimes...but then i can run 6 miles with out really being winded...

i guess i need to know... how does one find help... the kind of help that is supportive of a spiritual lifestyle...essene... rawfood... psychological... physical... I always say i need a personal manager... maybe a life coach i don't know... a teacher...???

i'm open to any and all suggestions...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 19, 2008 08:12AM

hi lluvyuu

just a suggestion:

if you are looking for help
perhaps it also means that you are able to provide that exact type of help as well

taking a leadership position and creating a group that provides
1. fun in raw foods
2. potlucks
3. spiritual support
etc. might be what you are looking for

create a group if you can't find one

and have it be whatever YOU wish it to be
make it free for other people
let it be that the only criteria to join is to bring some raw food, perspective
and maybe a sense of humor

you might also make it a group that cultivates bartering and exchange
yoga, raw food coaching, financial advise... whatever...

there are a lot of meetups out there
virutally in every city

be creative
set up a flyer

if u want something free

create it

host it at your place
for free

or meet at a park

for free

since its free
people will go for it

have a sign up sheet with skills and talents that people are willing to barter for
what they are looking for

etc. and hook them up or let them find each other

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 19, 2008 08:20AM

Luvyuu i think you need someone to give you a hug till you make a squeeky toy noise !!

sorry but the best i can do is

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: December 19, 2008 09:16AM

Luvyuu, if you are ready to work, consider volunteering in a raw food farm. There are some on the wwoofing website [www.wwoof.org] . This way you get a rawfood retreat, exercise, and meet some people likeminded.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables