Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone tried realrawfood.com's coconut oil?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: November 17, 2008 08:55PM

wwww.realrawfood.com

they sell it for pretty cheap...

Has anyone ever bought it from them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone tried realrawfood.com's coconut oil?
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: November 19, 2008 04:43PM

I buy mine from them, it's good stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2008 01:58AM

Cool! thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2008 04:45AM

Hi flex4life,

Does it have that fresh coconut aroma and taste or is it mostly scentless and/or tasteless? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy
[www.coconut-oil-central.com]
Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 04:46AM by CoconutOilGuy.

Date: November 29, 2008 09:39PM

I hope it's not scentless and tasteless!! I just ordered a gallon...

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: December 01, 2008 05:13AM

good question CoconutOilGuy,

I don't notice the taste or smell anymore, probably because I'm so used to it but I have noticed other people talk about the potency of the coconut oil when they are having one of my green smoothies.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 03, 2008 04:05AM

Thanks flex4life! In that case, I have got to try some of your green smoothies. Take care.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 03, 2008 05:13AM

How do you guys store your coconut oil, in the refrigerator or at room temperature? I know coconut oil is subject to much less damage than the more unsaturated seed oils, but at room temperature my coconut oil turns almost completely liquid. On the other hand, in the refrigerator it becomes solid like wax.

Date: December 03, 2008 06:05PM

Well there is no need to put it in the fridge, cause it's very stable. But if yours melts, thats not too interesting! Do you have a cellar or a cooler place in your home?

Date: December 03, 2008 08:07PM

I just opened the gallon i've ordered... Now i don't want to say that their oil in general is bad, but the gallon i received is horrible... I tried a couple of varietes, and i have never tasted a VCO like that one...It has a strong soapy aftertaste, that leave a burning feeling in the throat... ewww Maybe it was a bad batch, or simple a bad brand. Cause i just can't tell why an organic VCO could possibly taste like that. I have tasted deodorised and bleached coconut oils that had a better taste...

On another hand, i ordered dried fruits and nuts from them, and everything is very good and fresh.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 03, 2008 09:55PM

Hmm, well since soap often comes from coconut oil it makes sense that it would taste like soap. But I'll take your word that it isn't very good :]

As for storing the oil, no I don't have any sort of cold storage room in my home. It's actually an apartment, and I am in Canada to boot, but the place stays unbelievably warm regardless of what temperature I set my thermostat to. I would keep it in the fridge, but like I said it solidifies like a wax (or soap tongue sticking out smiley ) doing that.

Date: December 04, 2008 07:03AM

Hello SurfinBird! I think how you store coconut oil depends entirely on how you intend or prefer to use it. I've read a good number of people are enjoying their coconut oil by scooping it in solid form. Personally, I prefer to take them in liquid form. I take at least 4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil (VCO) daily and more with my wife's excellent coconut-based dishes. Whether in solid or liquid form, coconut oil still has that incredible antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiparasitic, etc. properties it's so famous for. ;-)

Spot on, mira! Unrefined or virgin coconut oil (VCO) doesn't need refrigeration at all. A decently manufactured VCO should last at least 2 years even without refrigeration. This is really something when you consider the shelf life of unsaturated vegetable oils that get rancid before you even purchase them from the store.

Here in the Philippines, it's common for VCO to last at least 3 years and reports of VCO staying fresh for up to 6-8 years are fairly common, again without refrigeration. I've even read a report of homemade VCO staying fresh for more than 10 years. How about that!

And mira, genuine unrefined or virgin coconut oil should not have a strong soapy aftertaste at all... The way I see it, even RBD coconut oil should not...

Take care.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:30AM

I was going to ask why anyone would want to eat coconut oil but Coconut oil guy gave a reason in his last post. Does it REALLY have all those properties?

I suppose those of you that consume coconut oil do not concern yourselves with how much 'fat' you consume in a day. It certainly would mess up an 80/10/10 day for example.

Another thing that occurs to me is the fact that it will keep for so long - I naturally gravitate to only eating foods that have a short shelflife in otherwords that seem fresh and raw. Something that will keep for so long would hardly fit that definition.

Just a few thoughts that occured to me while reading the above thread.

Date: December 04, 2008 01:15PM

Hello flipperjan! You've raised excellent points! Please allow me to comment on them.

"...Does it REALLY have all those properties?"
- Yes, coconut oil does! Almost all the fats and oils we eat are mostly, if not entirely, long chain fatty acids (LCFA). Some of these are soybean oil, beef tallow, canola oil, lard, etc.

Coconut oil is unique because it's one of the few dietary fats or oils that are predominantly medium chain fatty acids (MCFA). Nutritionists have known this for many years and they can most definitely vouch for MCFAs' incredible health properties. Coconut oil is nature's richest source of MCFAs.

MCFAs are so so different from LCFAs. Their absorption, transport, metabolism and uses are completely different. There's tons of research about MCFAs in case you're wondering.

"I suppose those of you that consume coconut oil do not concern yourselves with how much 'fat' you consume in a day. It certainly would mess up an 80/10/10 day for example."
- I'm not familiar with the "80/10/10 day", sorry. I believe that we should eat according to our individual/unique body or nutritional type. My diet might not work for you and vice versa.

But I will say this though. All things equal, I believe that you are better off consuming coconut oil than any other oil or fat. Why? Because not all Fats are alike and like I said, coconut oil is composed of a unique type of fatty acids that are remarkably healthy for our bodies. It all goes back to MCFAs. There's no shortage of studies on MCFAs.

"Another thing that occurs to me is the fact that it will keep for so long - I naturally gravitate to only eating foods that have a short shelflife in otherwords that seem fresh and raw. Something that will keep for so long would hardly fit that definition."
- That's why coconut oil is so unbelievably healthy! Sometimes I blame coconut oil for being so amazing that people are having difficulty understanding that a food this healthful can and does exist.

Coconut oil has this unbelievable shelflife because of its saturation. Coconut oil is 92% saturated. This means coconut oil is not vulnerable to oxidation and free radical destruction as unsaturated fats/oils are. Coconut oil is so stable that it can last years and years and still maintain its freshness. I know it's kind of counter-intuitive but it's true! No wonder its competition had no choice but to shamelessly demolish coconut oil's reputation. Coconut oil is that good. ;-)

Hope this helps,
CoconutOilGuy

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 04, 2008 02:49PM

Thank you very much for that reply. You have certainly given me much to think about - I see I have have to do a little research!

p.s Ha ha I have just seen that you sell the stuff - does that change anything???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 02:51PM by flipperjan.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 04, 2008 05:01PM

Hi CoconutOilGuy,

I'm a huge fan of coconuts and like your web site..

I've tried making coconut "oil" at home in my juicer out of nice beige and mature coconuts.. it comes out a little like a crude raw pressing I imagine, which tastes great.. but after a few days it starts to ferment.... it's the fine crude carbs, fibers etc. fermenting in my opinion..

Is that maybe what's going on with SOME of these "raw" oils being shipped from over seas? Do they ferment?..... loeve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 05:07PM by loeve.

Date: December 04, 2008 11:37PM

Loeve, your's must ferment cause there is still some fiber/flesh left in the oil. You can't pull it out at home like they do in the Philippines...

I don't think that these oils we import are supposed to ferment. IF they do, something went wrong somewhere...

The bad one i bought was from the Philippines, well,like most of coconut oils comes from the Philippines...I don't know if it was bad because it was too old (maybe it sat there for too long, i guess they don't sell gallons very often...) Next time, i'm ordering some virgin oil de coco creme, nothing but da best pleaze!!

Date: December 09, 2008 03:43AM

Hi Everyone,

"...Is that maybe what's going on with SOME of these "raw" oils being shipped from over seas? Do they ferment?....."
- Correct, Loeve and Mira! Any kind of impurities or anything else apart from 100% oil for that matter will cause it to ferment or get rancid much sooner. That is why "authentic" virgin coconut oil (VCO) manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure that the oil won't be contaminated at any point in the production process.

"...The bad one i bought was from the Philippines..."
- I'm not surprised at all, Mira. I try a new brand of local VCO once or twice a month just to see what's out there. All I can say is the bad ones are definitely out there! Copycats, frauds..., as in all industries, will always exist, I guess.

"...Ha ha I have just seen that you sell the stuff - does that change anything???..."
- Excellent point, flipperjan! Yes, go ahead, research about coconut oil, online and offline. You have every right to be skeptical, and it's all good...

Oh, I almost forgot. I don't sell the stuff, yet. My site has been online for about a year and a half now and the ones you see right now are "advertising" to keep the site running basically.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy

Date: December 11, 2008 10:41PM

Thank-you for the reply CoconutOilGuysmiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 12, 2008 01:50AM

i read once that there really is no such thing as *extra* virgin coconut oil .. just refined or cold pressed ..and anything else is just mis-labled to appeal to our mass market senses smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 12, 2008 02:20AM

CoconutOilGuy is candid on his website about the unfortunate lack of international standards regarding terms such as "Extra Virgin" regarding coconut oil.. [www.coconut-oil-central.com]

Coconut oil venders are free to use labels using terms such as Raw, Natural, Virgin, Cold-pressed, VCO, etc.. I think that's why he put parentheses around "authentic" in his last post.. just my opinions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 02:22AM by loeve.

Date: December 12, 2008 10:15AM

Your welcome, loeve! Yes, many coconut oil manufacturers claim to produce pure, unrefined or virgin coconut oil when they are using all sorts of chemicals and heating temperatures to refine their raw material which is copra, the dried white meat of the coconut.

Correct, Jgunn! There's no such thing as "extra virgin" coconut oil. This is just to imitate the olive oil industry for marketing appeal. There are basically only two types of coconut oil, Virgin and RBD (Refined, Bleached and Deodorized). Everything else is just somewhere in between depending on the process used.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables