Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Young coconuts?
Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: December 28, 2008 01:23AM

Isn't the flesh supposed to be white? I bought one from the Co-op and it sat in the fridge a couple days,by the time I opened it the water was tinted, and the flesh was a mauve color. I tasted it and it seemed fine, I couldn't bring my self to just drink the water and eat the flesh with a spoon, so I put it in a smoothie.

After examining the outer shell closely I did noticed a tiny green patch of mold. Could it have been going bad? I drank the smoothie with no ill effects. Has anyone else had this experience? I used to live in Honduras, CA and ate coconuts often, but never had one that color...hmmm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Young coconuts?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: December 28, 2008 01:37AM

Pink is an indication that the coconut has gone bad. I've had to throw those ones away. Sad b/c they can be expensive.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 28, 2008 05:59AM

The mature coconut has a white "meat" but the young coconut has a jelly like "meat" that is not white but changes as it matures to firm and white and the juice is more clear color.
I have found that if the juice tastes OK then all is well. One time I got one that tasted distinctively of vinegar and I threw that one out.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 28, 2008 06:18AM

Yes, that is a sign that it is going bad. They will eventually turn purplish inside. Before I knew what this meant, I ate a few that still tasted good because I didn't know any better, but it didn't make me sick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables