Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fasting and seeing stars...
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: December 30, 2008 05:21PM

Hello everyone... i hope your holidays are treating you well... I have gotten my moon cycle and so i journey on into the new year with a water fast as i do ever month... i have been on it for 3 days... and am noticing some things... one is that i tend to have trouble breathing when i water fast and two have been feeling quite sick to my stomach... three i keep seeing stars... ya know the feeling or seeing of this just before you might pass out... though that is speculation...because i have never passed out before...i have general fatique but i am used to that in a fast... i was just wondering if anyone that is well versed in fasting can give me some feedback on this...

my intention is to end either end today or tomorrow... is pineapple juice ok to end with or is it too strong... or grapefruit juice...i do have some carrots and cellery what would be best... it's what i have in the house...and as i am still seeing stars probably won't be making the 4 mile bike ride to the store...

thank you... you all always provide such inspired information... so thank you and many blessings to you for the new year...

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fasting and seeing stars...
Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: December 30, 2008 06:23PM

I've water fasted many times, twice over 28 days...Tell me, are the stars you see mostly visible when you move your eyes suddenly? If they are then they are very familiar to me.

I no longer get stars when they fast, nor do I get particularly dizzy, only when I get up really fast after laying down for hours.

I think they are very normal. I think it has something to do with your brain detoxing. On one of my fasts, I not only got these stars but also I would be seeing all kinds of stuff shooting through my mind. When I finished that 28 day fast, I literally tripped out as everything seemed to go into completion.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2008 08:01PM

luvyuu,
Do you ever see things like shimmering triangles that spread from center of vision to the edge in about 20 min or so?
If so,that is a classic migraine symptom.
Called " scintillating optic scatoma"

Brian

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 30, 2008 09:19PM

I think seeing stars is fairly common when water faster due to lowered blood pressure. It is recommended that you get up slowly from a seated or lying position due to this lowered blood pressure.

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: December 30, 2008 10:10PM

Im water fasting 30 days, Im on day 2.
what has helped me is sipping water during the day.
Not gulping it.
Im saying 30 days but my tongue is my guide.
When it clears up and my breath goes fresh
it will be time to break the fast.
so my target is 30 days.
Rob

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 30, 2008 11:55PM

roadrunner

what has helped me is sipping water during the day. Not gulping it.

Yes, this is how I water fast also. In fact I use this same method all year long even when I am eating foods to help wash my palette clean and to clean the fruit sugars and acids off my teeth right after eating and also to help achieve that satiated feeling as well as hydrate my body. During the winter I keep a cup warmer on my desk with warm clean water in it so that it is always right there when I want it.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 31, 2008 12:35AM

I am also on a day 5 of an extended fast. I will probably not go more than 30 days but if my bloodwork comes back in any given week with issues I may modify my plans.

For those that fast regularly, a good site is FastingConnection.com. There is a medical doctor who visits the site daily and tries to answer most questions. He runs a fasting clinic in Johannesburg and has supervised more than 10,000 fasts. You can also keep a blog there to help with your fast and there is support from others who are also fasting. For me, this really helps me stay on point.

Yes, the stars are most likely due to lowered blood pressure when changing positions, aka orthostatic hypotension. I have to remember to stretch before I stand up so I don't have that sudden drop too.

Good luck in your continued fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 12:42AM by Meditating.

fasting and water
Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: December 31, 2008 02:12AM

just one more thought i want to add...winking smiley

please for your own good and for the good end result and completion of your fast...

...never force upon your organism to drink water, IF you do NOT REALLY FEEL an URGENT GENUINE TRUE thirst for water by your body...!

...IF you are very unsure about having a true thirst or not, just sip slightly upon the water, if it does not feel very appealing and tasty to your mouth, you should not force yourself drinking it, as you are NOT truly thirsty...!

IF, you despite and in contrary to the no calling of your body, still force yourself to drink, and many do drink zillion liters of water...sad smiley, ...then you enervate, disfavor, disturb, obstruct and delay the healing and recovery process of your organism... you can even harm yourself...

i rather recommend, to undergo a shorter 3-days "dry" fast (=complete fast) without drinking (or eating) anything, than doing a week long water gulping fast... later 3-days can be prolonged with a few more days, until a 7-days of dry fast, after these first "dry" days, you can try sipping some good quality water and drink it in smaller quantities if bode calls for it and you do not feel enervation from drinking too much of it...

often, to find an "ideal" high quality water, good for your body, is almost impossible, either the water is distilled, or it is too full of too much minerals and trace elements or other bad stuff, making it very heavy for organism to handle, and instead rubs off it invaluable energy and time, postponing or disrupting the completion of the body's healing and recovery process...

many, including my past self, acting from compulsive thinking and behavior, and do drink the water, because of all these old "toxic" inlearned-debunked ideas-concepts, fears, doubts, false-beliefs, etc etc, about many things, not least about "...how good and important the water drinking is for you...", etc etc...

listen and follow only the guidance and instinct of your own organism, which already from beginning of times is well equipped with necessary intelligence and ability to "choose" right among its needs to successfully achieve healing and recovery job toward the perfect balance and health of your body and mind as mother Nature intended...

most people here who keep diet containing high amount of fresh raw unprocessed sun-ripe high-water fruits, have well hydrated organisms with plenty of metabolized good water reservoirs within, for body to use for its purposes during the fast...

Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: December 31, 2008 12:41PM

Hey justin...I know that during a fast, your thirst also goes down...Even though I've looked into it, I haven't seen evidence to show that less water is better than more. Have you got any links?

I've experimented with less and more water during fasts and I must say that I don't actually get a thirst craving...When I am thirst I actually get hungry. This one time I think I was about 14 days into a fast and I got insanely hungry, I couldn't sleep and thought that I must break this fast. I got up and had a glass of water and then fell straight to sleep. I just wanted to add this bit of experience here, some people might have different experiences.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 01, 2009 01:36AM

well... such wonderful information...thank you... i always have had really low blood pressure... so i'm used to the dizziness upon standing... i suppose this could be the reason for the stars as well... i have ended the fast... first with a day of lemon water and honey... and today i've had some cabbage juice with honey and pineapple was the first solid food... i would have liked to carry on with the fast...but my niece and nephew and friends are in for the weekend... and well... it just doesn't work to fast with 4 teen agers to keep up with...

though is was a short fast i think it was rather productive... it was a bit hard... with the stars and queazyness... I think i am getting ready to do a longer one... but it's winter here... so it's not so good in the cold... i'm thinking i will go somewhere warm and do an extended one there... This time was very emotional as well... i am wondering now about anger...it seems i always get angry when i fast... and i always attribute it to not having food and being short tempered because of it... but could it be some deep seeded anger that is being detoxed as well?

love laugh and dream

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables