Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

100% Fruitarian for 1 year
Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 05:06PM

After having been raw for 4.5 yrs (not always 100%), I believe I am being led to fruitarianism. I have had high respect for the idea of fruitarianism for many years (even when I didn't have a name for the lifestyle;even prior to becoming a raw vegan), but I now realize it would have been impossible for me to actually life it until now.

This is actually my 7th day on all fruit (although today I am actually water fasting). My reasons are primarily spiritual although I expect great benefits from this lifestyle change. As when I first went raw I expect a "Garden of Gethsemane" experience prior to the "Garden of Eden" experience. As I learned from raw veganism, this experience gets repeated.

I know many (including myself) are in what can be termed high-fruitarian (at least 75% raw fruit by weight volume), but I believe the 100% threshold brings a whole new level of experience.

I am wondering if there is anyone else besides my friend RB who actually, honestly has been 100% fruitarian for at least a year?

Grace and Peace be multiplied.

Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100% Fruitarian for 1 year
Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: December 22, 2008 05:09PM

tglasco4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After having been raw for 4.5 yrs (not always
> 100%), I believe I am being led to fruitarianism.
> I have had high respect for the idea of
> fruitarianism for many years (even when I didn't
> have a name for the lifestyle;even prior to
> becoming a raw vegan), but I now realize it would
> have been impossible for me to actually life it
> until now.
>
> This is actually my 7th day on all fruit (although
> today I am actually water fasting). My reasons are
> primarily spiritual although I expect great
> benefits from this lifestyle change. As when I
> first went raw I expect a "Garden of Gethsemane"
> experience prior to the "Garden of Eden"
> experience. As I learned from raw veganism, this
> experience gets repeated.
>
> I know many (including myself) are in what can be
> termed high-fruitarian (at least 75% raw fruit by
> weight volume), but I believe the 100% threshold
> brings a whole new level of experience.
>
> I am wondering if there is anyone else besides my
> friend RB who actually, honestly has been 100%
> fruitarian for at least a year?
>
> Grace and Peace be multiplied.
>
> Todd

Congrats!!!!!

RB

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: December 22, 2008 06:31PM

Please do keep us posted on your journey!

Fruitarianism is something I feel strongly drawn towards, too... but I have been raw for just a year now, and my body just is NOT ready for something like that. If I go too many days on all fruit, my headspace changes... although I felt amazing doing mono-melons in the summer.

Happy eating. =)

Date: December 22, 2008 07:19PM

ty RB & ty Phantom.

Phantom, I believe you are correct. Being raw first is a good idea. At least it starts the initial cleansing process. Understanding what to expect is very important. I too have done periods of very high fruit intake and felt very high levels of health. Being raw is untold times better than being cooked on every level and the higher raw the better usually is one's experience. Which is why I am very enthusiastic regarding this part of my journey.

Peace.

Todd

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2008 09:32PM

Fantastic Todd!
I admire greatly anyone who embarks on an activity as a spiritual adventure.
There is not enough of that in the world.
I believe you find Eden.

Brian

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: December 22, 2008 09:53PM

tglasco4 Wrote:
> ty RB & ty Phantom.
>
> Phantom, I believe you are correct. Being raw
> first is a good idea. At least it starts the
> initial cleansing process. Understanding what to
> expect is very important. I too have done periods
> of very high fruit intake and felt very high
> levels of health. Being raw is untold times better
> than being cooked on every level and the higher
> raw the better usually is one's experience. Which
> is why I am very enthusiastic regarding this part
> of my journey.
>
> Peace.
>
> Todd

I've found that you have to pay the piper at some point, you either do it sooner or later....depending on percentages going raw vegan first will not make going Fruitarian any easier, because as soon as you go Fruitarian you'll still have to adjust and detox.

Be good

RB

Date: December 23, 2008 03:57AM

"I've found that you have to pay the piper at some point, you either do it sooner or later....depending on percentages going raw vegan first will not make going Fruitarian any easier, because as soon as you go Fruitarian you'll still have to adjust and detox.

Be good

RB"

RB...While I definitely agree that there is going to be serious detox when embarking on a 100% Fruitarian diet. Going raw gets one used to the whole idea of detox. Having some experience with it is definitely better than having none. I have gone thru several detox episodes while raw and I believe there will be many more and deeper now in all fruit, but I am glad I know what to expect. This is why I agree with phantom. For some, getting used to the idea of detox and having some experience with it is better then experiencing the full blown style that the fruitarian diet will surely bring. Others of course prefer to dive in all at once. Whatever works.

Peace.

Todd

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 23, 2008 12:01PM

I have / had been an all-fruit guy for 4 years or so. It's not so much a choice, in my opinion, as something that is 'evolved' into....and a person is 100% comfortable with this. It's NOT a 'discipline'! Heh..heh.

-Power & Success to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: December 23, 2008 04:51PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
> I have / had been an all-fruit guy for 4 years or
> so. It's not so much a choice, in my opinion, as
> something that is 'evolved' into....and a person
> is 100% comfortable with this. It's NOT a
> 'discipline'! Heh..heh.
>
> -Power & Success to you!
>
> -David Z. Mason

Hello David. Perhaps in your experience this is true. I am finding that each individual needs to experience things for themselves and will come away with what they learned. Your experience is valuable to help others who may find similiar things on their journey. For me its a calling. A growth in grace after having been raw for the time that i was. But even so, I definitely feel discipline is involved for me because there is a sort of saying goodbye to old friends and acquaintences in the form of former things i considered food. Its very interesting to me which is why i love to hear about the experiences of different people along this road.

Peace.

Todd

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 23, 2008 09:47PM

It's not so much a choice, in my opinion, as something that is 'evolved' into

I agree with this. From day one of going all fresh raw it has been a process of evolution powered by listening to my body. Its not about a white knuckle head game but rather tuning into your body. I am not all fruit but I am about 75% fruit which is constantly changing in small increments depending on the season of the year and my body's wants & needs.

EDIT - Add to the above - I do establish a white knuckle head game "out of bounds" boundary line at raw/not raw. The rest is just tuning in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 09:51PM by EZ rider.

Date: December 23, 2008 09:57PM

I suppose the raw/not raw line is one of the areas I would consider "discipline". The vast majority are born, bred and raised on cooked foods and it doesn't immediately appear natural to do otherwise. If it were easily apparent.....there would be many more fruitarians.

Peace.

Todd

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 23, 2008 10:15PM

the raw/not raw line is one of the areas I would consider "discipline".

Yep, I consider the raw/not raw line as a discipline that if crossed can be difficult to get back on the playing field and well worth the effort to just say NO to rather then taking a chance of being removed from the game and returning to SAD or at the very least the struggle that follows to get back into the game.

Date: December 24, 2008 11:37PM

Hopefully, fruit will become second nature for me. i hope that in time (how much i don't know), i will be trained so that i never think of anything else as food.

Peace.

Todd

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: December 25, 2008 01:04AM

Fruitarin RULES! LOL! I LOVE IT!
Rob

Date: December 29, 2008 12:47AM

Indeed..........it rules when you love it (smile)..ty for your strong show of encouragment Rob.

Todd

Posted by: shane ()
Date: December 29, 2008 01:09AM

Good luck, man! I hope you have fun, and learn a lot in the process! I'm nearly 100% raw fruit, but I also love vegetables. And, when it gets cold, I just don't know how to stay warm and at peace with nothing but cold fruit -- even though it's delicious and nourishing. It also bothers me that if I stay 100% fruitarian during the winter, then I must depend upon fresh fruit that must be shipped to me from hundreds, or even thousands of miles away. If I lived in a tropical country, it would be much easier. So in my current circumstances (not to be confused with your current circumstances) I would have ethical and environmental problems staying all fruitarian.

Sorry if that's a buzz-kill. I really do wish you the very best!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 29, 2008 03:09AM

Shane,
Where do you live? I have sought to grow fruit in my yard that would be available through out the year. It hasn't happened yet. But, there are some fruits that are more suited and available at winter. These might not be available to you directly locally, but might bring things nearer, and if not, they might make more sense seasonwise.

I recall some website offered seabuckthorn concentrates, while not exactly fresh, it is fruit/vegan, and its claimed to help people in northern climates to adapt to winter. I have yet to see fresh seabuckthorn berries available anywhere. At a local coop they finally have medlars available, these are available in Oregon and washington now. I tried some about two weeks ago. The taste and texture is kind of like applesauce. And of course there are persimmons. Dandelions were growing up until the recent snow storms, along with bittercress. Although these aren't fruit, its fresh greens available here. If you live in some place thats covered in snow, I hope you do your best.

Date: December 29, 2008 05:51PM

shane Wrote:
> "Good luck, man! I hope you have fun, and learn a
> lot in the process! I'm nearly 100% raw fruit,
> but I also love vegetables. And, when it gets
> cold, I just don't know how to stay warm and at
> peace with nothing but cold fruit -- even though
> it's delicious and nourishing. It also bothers me
> that if I stay 100% fruitarian during the winter,
> then I must depend upon fresh fruit that must be
> shipped to me from hundreds, or even thousands of
> miles away. If I lived in a tropical country, it
> would be much easier. So in my current
> circumstances (not to be confused with your
> current circumstances) I would have ethical and
> environmental problems staying all fruitarian.
>
> Sorry if that's a buzz-kill. I really do wish you
> the very best!"

Hi Shane, thanks for your encouragement. Definitely no buzz-kill here as i have no problem at all eating fruit from wherever i can get it. i am on a mission. one year 100% fruit, snow, cold, rain, hot, shipped, local......matters not. i started this post asking if there was anyone that actually did 100% fruit for at least a year, what i am finding is that even in the raw community, very few have tried it. Well, i will find out personally. if its all that, i will know, if not, then i will know. i figure a year straight will give me a good idea. But as for you, shane, of course, you must do as you deem right for you. More power to you.

Grace to you as well.

Todd

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 29, 2008 07:25PM

I did it for three years. I blogged about it. Lots of juices and lots of smoothies!!

Date: December 29, 2008 07:43PM

fruitarian Anne did it for 17 years. there is also kveta and mango, they have blogs

Date: December 29, 2008 08:10PM

Hello suvine,

Thanks. i did find out and have read with regard to mango, anne, kveta and RB. prior to you, these are the only ones that have had the experience. i find there are both similarities and differences among them. for example, mango appears to be a kind soul, but i would not want to have the appearance he has. RB seems intense and his workouts convey this, but i am not that intense. anne is a sweet, kind and gentle soul. sort of a free spirit. i want to find out what i will be like in my own experience. i have heard so many positive and negatives (the negatives mostly from people who never really did it themselves but are theorizing about fruitarianism). But i truly believe it is the original diet of mankind, the one chosen for mankind and the best one for mankind. i would like to prove it with my own experience. i never read your blog, but overall how would you rate your experience? are you still fruitarian? why or why not?

Peace.

Todd

Date: December 30, 2008 01:30AM

Well, I like to keep my weight down. I gained alot of weight on it.

I was a banana and date smoothie girl. I had a million a day cause I wanted them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 01:30AM by suvine.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 30, 2008 01:49AM

It is real not as hard as you think to eat all fruit and if you add some some non sweet fruits like tomatoes cucumbers and chayotes they help along the way.

For me I will also eat a lot of bananas and sweet fruits and am quite full for the day
I would try to get a variety of fruits when possible the ones in season are the best.
Go for it and eat and enjoy.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness.

Date: December 30, 2008 04:19AM

i find that i always have liked an abundance of bananas from starting out as a raw vegan. i still do. i also love banana/date smoothies, but have not had any as of this part of the journey. Cherimoya, i completely agree with the idea of adding non-sweet fruits to the mix. Last week i put chopped celery in my fruit salad and will probably do so tomorrow as i break this water fast. i love to eat tomato just plain as it is because it adds a nice change of pace also.

your input is quite valuable, thank you.

Grace and peace be multiplied.

Todd

Date: January 01, 2009 10:58PM

I notice this board is extremely fruitarian friendly. Alot of raw food boards are against it, saying fruit is acidic and yada yada

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 02, 2009 12:35AM

i LOVE me some acid!

david

Date: January 02, 2009 12:58AM

dvdai Wrote:
> "i LOVE me some acid!"

LOL....

This board appears to be focused on raw veganism period. it appears to be open to all types which would include fruitarianism, but without prejudice towards any one form. Which i think is rather nice.

Grace be multiplied.

todd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 01:00AM by tglasco4.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 05, 2009 01:18AM

Hi,
I have been on 100% raw for 8 weeks. Everyone speaks about a detoxing phase. What will I feel during the detox phase?

I got severe gout pains after three weeks. I had not suffered gout for thirty years. My uric acid level in the blood was extremely low and myadviser said that it was part of the detoxing phase which was eliminating the uric acid already in the joints.

What other problems might I have?
Kelvyn

Date: January 05, 2009 03:44AM

kelvyn Wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been on 100% raw for 8 weeks. Everyone
> speaks about a detoxing phase. What will I feel
> during the detox phase?
>
> I got severe gout pains after three weeks. I had
> not suffered gout for thirty years. My uric acid
> level in the blood was extremely low and myadviser
> said that it was part of the detoxing phase which
> was eliminating the uric acid already in the
> joints.
>
> What other problems might I have?
> Kelvyn

Flu-like symptoms. Gas, diarrhea. Feeling sick to the stomach. Very smelling eliminations. That sort of thing.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables