Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

tis the season of tasteless tomatoes
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2009 01:38AM

How do youze guys with tomato addictions get around this?

I can't afford the cherry/grape ones.

Maybe I can, but use less?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tis the season of tasteless tomatoes
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 11, 2009 01:59AM

I've been using organic, sun-dried Tomatoes from Raw From the Farm.
They're the only ones I've ever found with nothing added.
Best, of course, would be to grow your own.......WY

[rawfromthefarm.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 11, 2009 02:26AM

I keep an eye on costs too but I have learned that in order to make the raw food lifestyle work it helps to splurge some. If I don't get some of the desired food then after I get home I can't seem to think of anything else but the luscious raw food I didn't bring home. Its as if my body is craving the raw food so much that it won't let me turn off the thoughts about it. Sometimes I experience the same kind of major raw food craving when I eat something I am really looking forward to like the Pom I just ate. Usually I can eat something like that and lick my lips in satisfaction after finishing the meal. There are other times when I will finish off the last of the food, say Pom's again and I will want more. Its as if there is something in that particular raw food that my body recognizes and wants more of. Then I can't just turn off the desire. It lingers. One way of dealing with this is after steering my grocery cart toward the raw food that I want I make sure to buy more then I need so I can satisfy my body signals should they occur. As for the tomatos I also like the cherry and grape tomatos and also I like ripe and ready to eat Early Girl tomatos that are still attached to the vine. Bon appetit smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 11, 2009 04:18PM

arugula,

Aversion therapy: Just eat one of those AWFUL winter tomatoes slowly and you should be cured! I binge on homegrown tomatoes and pickling cucumbers(oh, how I love them!) all summer long, until the thought of them is almost nauseous. And in the winter, I get my Vit C and lycopene from more seaonal things.

More helpfully: I don't know where you are located, but my local large grocery frequently puts organic grape tomatoes on sale because the bozo in purchasing over-ordered, or too few people are buying them that week. They're at their very cheapest at that time. So get to know the purchasing department at your grocer, see whether they're incompetent[I'm being serious] and strike when they've made a mistake. I sound sharky don't I? Well, where budgeting for good produce is concerned, yes I am.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:33AM

WY,
I am so glad to read about people buying from raw from the farm. I love those guys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The grape tomatoes are so good, aren't they? Sometimes I have to splurge and get them because they are my seven year olds favs. When your kid is begging for tomatoes it is hard to turn her down. I think the romas are the best in the store for the price. I use the sundried ones from raw from the farm also.

I NEED to eat tomatoes about every other day. I am hoping for a good garden this year with lots of yummy HG Tomatoes smiling smiley!!

Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:35AM

I find that Roma tomatoes tend to have more flavor. They are the smaller oval shaped ones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables