Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do soymilk makers make raw milk?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:00PM

I know some soymilk makers can do tofu as well. Is there an element inside that heats? Does it make raw soymilk and raw tofu?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do soymilk makers make raw milk?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 08, 2009 09:33PM

The soymilk makers that have a no-heat option are for nut milks.

You have to cook the soy.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 09, 2009 12:22AM

You know, I don't understand why the SoyBella, for instance, can make raw nut milk, but not raw soy milk from soaked and germinated soybeans. They're soft enough, but there's no explanation given anywhere. If I were making raw soy milk the "rustic" way, I suppose I'd sprout yellow soybeans and grind them up in a homogenizing juicer, as for raw tofu. But I expect I'd have to dilute this with water as it would be very thick, and subsequently filter it through a nutmilk bag to separate the pulp. It would probably be too thin then, so it may have to be blended with some banana or a small amount of soaked date-meat to give it body. I searched all over the Recipes Forum--nothing. There must be a reason no one has tried this . . .

Date: January 10, 2009 04:38PM

Are'nt raw soybeans or sprouted soybeans toxic? Maybe that's why there is no recipe...I would love to make raw tofu!

Date: January 10, 2009 05:42PM

mira,

Good Lord, raw soybeans toxic! Why am I not dead? Where did you hear this? Is it like kidney beans? I don't eat those raw. Jeremy A. Safron, who is also still alive, has a good raw tofu recipe in his book, The Raw Truth. It is, however, troublesome and requires nigari(dehydrated seawater), so I've only made it twice. I haven't eaten soy in months, and don't apparently miss it. If I ever do, it would probably be milk sooner than tofu, and that's why I'm puzzled about making soy milk. I hate not meeting a culinary challenge . . .

Date: January 15, 2009 03:42AM

Yes, i heard the same thing about kidney beans... I've seen raw tofu recipes, but they were made with mung beans.

Do soymilk makers heat the stuff or not?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 15, 2009 07:07AM

this was from the Digg site [www.wereyouwondering.com]

no idea how valid the points in it are but you can research it yourself smiling smiley

My husband and I have an extensive garden. I suggested one day that he grow soybeans because they are so tasty as edamame. He told me that unprocessed soybeans are toxic. Skeptical to the end, I decided to go online, where the answer would be at my fingertips. I was shocked. There are actually several substances in unprocessed soybeans that are very unhealthy for you including phytoestrogens, antienzymes, hemagglutinin, phytates and goitrogens and a breakdown of the effect that each of these substances has on the body will follow. Fermentation reduces or eliminates many of these toxic chemicals. Fermented soy products include tempeh and miso; however, processed unfermented soy products still contain many of the harmful ingredients that raw soybeans have. In addition, hexane is one method for separating out the oil from the bean and is a known carcinogen. Most of the hexane is removed through distillation, however, some residue remains and manufacturers are not obligated to provide hexane amounts in their list of ingredients. Aluminum is high in soy baby formula because the process of making soy protein isolate involves giving the soy beans and acid wash in aluminum tanks resulting in some soy based formulas having up to 100 times more aluminum than in cow’s milk.

Phytoestrogens and Goitrogens are present in raw soybeans in the form of isoflavones. There is some controversy over the effect that these non nutrients have. Some sources say that these estrogen mimicking plant products can reduce male fertility if eaten in large quantities; especially during childhood. In the July 24/08 edition of Human Reproduction, a leading health journal in Europe, there is an article that has studied the effect of eating an average of half a serving per day of soybean products and found that consumption lead to a significant decrease in sperm count. Other sources indicate that this effect is minimal to non existent and in addition, the small amount of plant estrogen can reduce the incidence of prostate cancer. These same phytoestrogens found in soy beans also depress thyroid function and may cause goiter if consumed regularly over a long period of time. Even processing doesn’t denature phytoestrogens.

Antienzymes, specifically, a tripsin antagonist is one of the most troublesome elements in the raw soybean. Tripsin is required by the small intestine to digest protein. Without it, the pancreas have to work overtime to allow protein to move through the digestion process. Raw soy flour is known to cause pancreatic cancer in rats. Tripsin also interferes with the uptake of the protein that naturally occurs in the soybean, defeating its own purpose in vegan diets. There really isn’t any controversy over this component of the soybean, except to say that high heat and fermentation take care of a lot of the tripsin antagonist, but not all. In addition soy milk and baby formula still contain significant amounts of tripsin antagonist and manufacturers do not have to disclose the antitripsin concentration on their ingredient labels.

Hemagglutinin or phytohemagglutinin is found in soybeans and many other beans including red and white kidney beans, fava beans and in some green beans. This substance binds red blood cells (and some white blood cells) into clumps that can turn into blood clots. Tofu contains reduced amounts - it isn’t fermented, while fermentation denatures hemagglutinins.

Soybeans are very high in phytates, chemicals that prevent the uptake of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc by the body. If the diet isn’t adequately supplemented with foods high in these substances, a diet high in soy could put you at risk for severe mineral deficiency. Fermented products contain less phytates, but tofu has the same amount as in the unprocessed bean. In addition, soy milk has high amounts of phytates. The process of making soy milk, while we are on the subject, removes the amino acids lysine and cystine and denatures the proteins that naturally occur, making any protein remaining in the soy milk to be virtually undigestible.

Lastly, a note should be made about pesticides and herbicides. Soy beans are a huge cash crop in the United States; most hydrogenated vegetable oils use soy bean oil as their base. These pesticides and herbicides remain in soy products after processing. If I were feeding my family, I would go with organic tofu. As with all food products, read your ingredient labels and consume in moderation.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 15, 2009 02:52PM

Jgunn,

Thanks for your work on this--much appreciated. I used to consume quite a lot of soy, and it didn't seem to affect me as adversely as some studies I was reading warned: I had some slight thyroid problems, but I didn't develop goiter or cancer or menstrual problems, yadda yadda. Then gradually, I just "went off" soy. The taste profile seemed to change for me, and I found it unappealing. What really confused me was that, being in Michigan, where a large share of soy is grown, and where most soy for human consumption is organic, I felt that the locally-made tofu I was eating in small amounts was OK. I worked at a veg restaurant that bought the company's product in bulk, so I was aware of their methods. They DO ferment the tofu, but then, as per law, they pasteurize it. When I discovered no one could explain to me whether that chemically reverts the soy to its previous moderately toxic state, I began to cut back. When I started to go raw, I figured making my own fermented tofu and eating it raw should be all right. It is very high in protein--similar amino structure to beef, actually. But not being able to find a raw soy milk recipe really bothered me. Not so much that I wanted to try it; it would be a culinary challenge for me. It's that there is no explanation given in any of my raw cookbooks WHY no one makes raw soy milk. Which is irritating. So, Jgunn and mira, I'll just assume I'm better off without it!

Date: January 15, 2009 02:58PM

mira,

Finally an answer to your question, dear:

[www.soyabella.com]

Note in the recipe instructions, how it says to add the other ingredients while the soymilk is still hot?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables