Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Elimination or Breakdown???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2009 09:37PM

Hi all

I'm a newby, and I'm haveing a bit of a problem with my totally alkaline raw diet. It's been three months now since I started, and cooked food no longer appeals to me.

I've had a pretty bad back problem, and in the last six months been practising yoga, palates and other specific exercises which have progressively given me some relief.

Three days ago, my back pain returned. The muscles are very tight, and I have to move slowly to reduce the pain. I could easily bend to touch the floor, but now it takes a couple of minutes to get down there due to the pain and stiffness.

Is this a reaction due to my body eliminating stored poisons, or repair, or both???

I've noticed my mood has fluctuated quite a lot since I started as well. Initially it was lethargy, but now it's like depression and sometimes anxiety and paranoia. Are these also due to poisons released into my bloodstream causing these feelings???

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as it's becoming a bit of a crisis for me.

Thx in advance,
Rgds, geo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elimination or Breakdown???
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: January 18, 2009 10:48PM

keep up what your doing and stay raw sounds like some big changes are ahead for you. Keep us posted on your progress. I have heard that detox symptoms go in a reverse order of how they got in our body. I am fairly new to this but I want to give you encouragement.
Pam

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 18, 2009 11:12PM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all
>
> I'm a newby, and I'm haveing a bit of a problem
> with my totally alkaline raw diet. It's been three
> months now since I started, and cooked food no
> longer appeals to me.
>
> I've had a pretty bad back problem, and in the
> last six months been practising yoga, palates and
> other specific exercises which have progressively
> given me some relief.

I'm not sure why you call your diet "totally alkaline raw". Could you please explain what makes it totally alkaline?

Palates is known for the practice of correct posture when excercising, particularly if you have a certified instructor.

"Specific excercises" would have to be reviewed to see if any are high risk, i.e. torsional moves that can strain the back and lay you up for a few days or more.

>
> Three days ago, my back pain returned. The muscles
> are very tight, and I have to move slowly to
> reduce the pain. I could easily bend to touch the
> floor, but now it takes a couple of minutes to get
> down there due to the pain and stiffness.

Try to rest it until pain free, get it checked out, get a massage, ice or heat as needed.

>
> Is this a reaction due to my body eliminating
> stored poisons, or repair, or both???
>
> I've noticed my mood has fluctuated quite a lot
> since I started as well. Initially it was
> lethargy, but now it's like depression and
> sometimes anxiety and paranoia. Are these also due
> to poisons released into my bloodstream causing
> these feelings???
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as it's
> becoming a bit of a crisis for me.
>
> Thx in advance,
> Rgds, geo

The transition to raw can be stressful, I've found. I can relate to your feelings of depression, paranoia, lethagy etc.; in my case it was worse before getting into raw foods, but can't speak to the cause exactly.

peace

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: January 18, 2009 11:18PM

SORRY, IT'S POSSIBLE TO BE DETOX,BUT MAYBE YOU ARE TRYING TOO HARD. THERE SEEMS TO BE AN IMBALANCE GOING ON.PERHAPS, BACKSTEP A LITTLE. MY THOUGHT IS THAT THERE NEEDS TO BE A BALANCE BETWEEN ALK/ACID. ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH B VITS? YOU COULD TRY A BALANCED B SUPP, OR AT LEAST A B12 SUBLINGUAL TAB DAILY. YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO
TELL YOU SOMETHING--LISTEN TO IT, AND BE GENTLE TO YOURSELF. JANICE

Date: January 18, 2009 11:32PM

Thx guys

Hi Loeve and thx for your imput, to clarify a little for you.

1/ I try to use foods that are not acid forming but base (alkaline)forming within the body. You could say I'm a raw vegan that doesn't use cereals; although, I do eat some nuts that are acid-forming.

2/ Specific exercises which have been of great help in reducing my back pain over the last four months.

3/ Yes, I have a yoga/palates instructor.

4/ I began with a two day 'fast' and changed to raw food after about a month, mainly because cooked food began to smell 'off' to me??? I noticed the more positive changes once I began eating raw, but now I'm getting these weird moods/feelings.

Date: January 18, 2009 11:39PM

Hi Janice

Hmmm...Perhaps your right, but I do eat some nuts. I've researched the acid/alkaline thing thru google scholar and uni,and our body neutralises acid. The article mentions western diets are overloaded with acid-forming foods, and says we need at least 70-80% base-forming dietary foods.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:35AM

Geo, Take Serrapeptase on an empty stomach to reduce the inflammation in your back. Do the Sun Salutation and also do the Plow and the Dolphin asanas. These are a great help to me.

If you want to alkalize, drink distilled water with juiced lemon in it. Test your pH with strips. I like the pHIon strips.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 19, 2009 09:46PM

> Three days ago, my back pain returned. The muscles
> are very tight...

Hi geo
There have been so many good suggestions, well, I was just re-reading your original post and noticing that the pain seems to be very local with "tight muscles". Sometimes all it takes is to take it easy for a while and try to relax those muscles.

Do you have a warm-up regimen before your stretching workouts?--it's freezing cold where I am tongue sticking out smiley When doing palates my instructor always had me doing "the 100" warm-up excercise first thing.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:01AM

This is not detox, it's probably humidity changes.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 06:35AM

---...IF i would you, i would seek for more rest and stillness, instead of adding more enervation to my body-mind, have a break from yoga postures/exercises and other "should-do" enervating movements/actions, eyes closed "go into" body, and give your full attention and feel deeply the different spots of your living organism, put your hand/(s) on (and/or focus your attention on to) the pain-spots of your body, and let heal...

---REST, as during a fast...

---i too, am very much into my daily yoga routine, and have been feeling "guilt" when not following the routine, however, i have learned now, that being in a "simple" "passive" complete rest and stillness, with eyes closed, "meditating" in doing/thinking of "nothing" is the way to go, by just letting/allowing your body-mind to do its healing and recovery in peace, instead of actively trying to "fix" it...IME...

Date: January 20, 2009 09:33AM

I'll try the rest I think, as many of you suggest it as a first 'port of call'. It's possible I've just overdone it a little, as I'm prone to do.

I'm finding that I'm becoming much more sensitive to what I eat, and my senses are heightened also.

Maybe I'm becoming more attunded to my body's warning signals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables